seems like they dont care

Thread: seems like they dont care

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

seems like they dont care

Tonight, I was followed home from work, for 20 minutes by the Halton region Police.

the speed limit was 80, i was doing 85-87 minding my own business. during this time, i passed one car full of kids that drove off the road, and onto the soft shoulder and kicked up rocks. drunk ? Stoned ? fooling around ? we'll never know, the cop didnt bother with them, he just kept on my ***.

About 5 minutes later , was a car coming the opposite direction, who turned left in front of me. Close enough that i actually had to slow down to make sure i wasnt going to fly over his hood.

I Raised a hand in the air and made the WTF gesture and figured " at least he'll get nailed for being an idiot "

Nope. cop just kept on me. Now Im kinda mad, so im thinking im going to wait for him to stop at the next set of lights, and I'll have a little chat with him about why he's not interested in blatant infrations of the law. But just before that was going to happen, he turned down a sideroad and left.

im suprised i didnt get a ticket for riding with one hand.

cool Story bro ?

Re: seems like they dont care

what would be different of one hand vs one hand on a steering wheel?

You should have done a wheelie now that would have been a cool story bro

Thanks, now I have gangsta rap lyrics in my head.
    New to me for 2012.

Maybe he had bigger fish to fry? Dunno but those weren't major infractions.

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Already dispatched to a call?

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    Already dispatched to a call?
    Cops use the roads to reach their destinations the same as everyone else. Somtimes they may be going to the sames places as you are.

Is it possible the cops was following hoping for an infaction .. sure..
    Is it possible he was on his way to a similar locations.. Sure..

Although i sympathaise with OP person that turned should have been pulled.
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

Cops profile people. Bikes, particularly sport bikes, get unwarranted attention. Don't be surprised by it.

The stop of the kids in the car, potentially drunk, is an annoying stop for the cop. Lots of paperwork and steps for an impaired charge.

An HTA 172 against a sportbike is easy and lucrative. I suspect he/she was hoping you'd screw up.

But then, I'm paranoid.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Speeding is less dangerous than making a turn in front of someone or driving off the road but I bet if he had added another 5-10 kph to his speed he would've gotten pulled over. Why do they only care about speeding (rhetorical question)??
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki2000 View Post
    what would be different of one hand vs one hand on a steering wheel?
    Stunting , illegal hand signal. Unsafe operation of a motor vehicle
    It's been done before .

OP - cops are attracted to bikes. Especially sport bikes. Cop probably was watching his computer screen

Paranoid?
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

I ride my bike slower than I drive my truck, specifically because the cops would expect me to be an idiot on the bike. But I can do 95 in the truck in an 80 and not worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Paranoid?
    Nobody likes it when pigs follow them. It's no different than having a shady beat up van following you with no license plate; difference is you're obligated to pull over for one of them and give them $$$ + credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Paranoid?
    Lol. This one time I was on the 401 and like 100 cars were going in the same direction same as me. I was being followed for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Stunting , illegal hand signal. Unsafe operation of a motor vehicle
    It's been done before .

OP - cops are attracted to bikes. Especially sport bikes. Cop probably was watching his computer screen
    cite?
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    cite?
    my father was pulled over in may 2011, he had been riding an ex500 with one hand on the bar, other on his knee, in a bit of a rest position. was on one of the long concession roads north of toronto.
    cop threatened to charge him with "stunting" b/c he "sees bicyclists trying to ride with no hands all the time."
    my dad questioned it, and the cop "reduced" the charge to Careless (driving without due care or attention).
    It went to trial in Jan 2012. The justice read the case, asked the cop what the rider (my father) had been doing that was unsafe. The cop mentioned, he was riding with no hands. My father was asked if he had in fact done that. MY father replied no, asked if he can explain what he had done. JP said no, and explained to the cop that it was not uncommon for motorcyclists to temporarily let go of the bars to adjust their position. Case was dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by vociferous View Post
    my father was pulled over in may 2011, he had been riding an ex500 with one hand on the bar, other on his knee, in a bit of a rest position. was on one of the long concession roads north of toronto.
    cop threatened to charge him with "stunting" b/c he "sees bicyclists trying to ride with no hands all the time."
    my dad questioned it, and the cop "reduced" the charge to Careless (driving without due care or attention).
    It went to trial in Jan 2012. The justice read the case, asked the cop what the rider (my father) had been doing that was unsafe. The cop mentioned, he was riding with no hands. My father was asked if he had in fact done that. MY father replied no, asked if he can explain what he had done. JP said no, and explained to the cop that it was not uncommon for motorcyclists to temporarily let go of the bars to adjust their position. Case was dropped.
    meaning that you aren't guilty of careless for letting go of bars... which is exactly my point.

I am still waiting for that cite, until then its just paranoia.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

meaning that you aren't guilty of careless for letting go of bars... which is exactly my point.

I thnk his point was that cops will ticket you for doing it. We all know its not illegal. Other than misapplying HTA172 which is not unlikely.

I have had cops tell me that it's illegal to ride with one hand on the bars. I know they're full of crap but that won't prevent a ticket.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

lol!!
    You may not be guilty, but the point is you could be charged!!! There are cases of cops ticketing HTA172 for standing on pegs while going over train tracks. Was taken to court and thrown out as it was not what the law was intended for.
    Again, the person was ticketed and charged, but was not convicted.
    Last edited by kiwi; 04-17-2012 at 04:08 PM.