seems like they dont care - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seems like they dont care

Re: seems like they dont care

I understand where you are coming from. there are cases on this forum where I have recommended certain courses of action to avoid the ticket even though it may theoritically be legal ( such as plate placement). I have to take a day off to fight a ticket too.

What I am saying really is that we can't accurately predict what is going to happen in a cop's head, taking a hand off your handlebars is a very reasonable thing to do and I will not (and will not advocate) not doing something that is perfectly reasonable based on a threat of a misapplied law (because i feel the threat is remote for one thing).

I don't like HTA 172, but i am not going to let it stop me from doing something I know isn't wrong, thats what I am saying.
    There is a balance between avoiding hassle and not being paranoid. I am saying that not taking a hand off your handlebars because of 172 is on the paranoid side, not the prudent side.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    There is a balance between avoiding hassle and not being paranoid. I am saying that not taking a hand off your handlebars because of 172 is on the paranoid side, not the prudent side.

But being paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

I do lift my arse off the seat every now and then and I do ride with one hand on the bars routinely. But not if I know a cop is watching.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    But being paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

I do lift my arse off the seat every now and then and I do ride with one hand on the bars routinely. But not if I know a cop is watching.

Fair enough, I slow down and behave just like everyone else if I know a cop is around. XD
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

meaning that you aren't guilty of careless for letting go of bars... which is exactly my point.

I am still waiting for that cite, until then its just paranoia.
    lol!!
    You may not be guilty, but the point is you could be charged!!! There are cases of cops ticketing HTA172 for standing on pegs while going over train tracks. Was taken to court and thrown out as it was not what the law was intended for.
    Again, the person was ticketed and charged, but was not convicted.
    Last edited by kiwi; 04-17-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    lol!!
    You may not be guilty, but the point is you could be charged!!! There are cases of cops ticketing HTA172 for standing on pegs while going over train tracks. Was taken to court and thrown out as it was not what the law was intended for.
    Again, the person was ticketed and charged, but was not convicted.
    Still not seeing a cite.

Still not seeing a cite.
    FFS
    A cite for what?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    FFS
    A cite for what?
    I think he's looking for you to reference a specific case so that it can be verified. i.e. not just rumour.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

What exactly are the infractions by the other motorists, there? "Kicking up rocks by pulling over on a soft shoulder"? "Left turn too close to motorcycle"?

I think he's looking for you to reference a specific case so that it can be verified. i.e. not just rumour.

or trolling..

I am not the one spreading falsehoods about tickets you can't get for taking a hand off your bars.

the standing on pegs was a myth by the way, so this is pretty much on the same level.

wteff had no idea it was "illegal" to ride with one hand . . . will keep that in mind and cut down on resting my left arm my leg lmfao
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school
    Join upp Group Rides Facebook

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

I am not the one spreading falsehoods about tickets you can't get for taking a hand off your bars.

the standing on pegs was a myth by the way, so this is pretty much on the same level.
    re: ticket for standing on pegs...

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...se-you-license

You just proved my point.

Lots of wannabe lawyers but no ticket.

This kind of garbage rumor milling is the reason why a bunch of people on this board cry all the time about how reasonable some laws are.

no facts, just tons of awful arguments and rallying against problems that don't exist.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 04-18-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Good points and I do agree with you. Unfortunately though, even being ticketed is a major pain in the *** for most of us, whether we prove our innocence in court eventually or not. I've won every ticket I've contested but it still cost me at least a day's work if not more each time.

My point with HTA172 is that it's language is so broadly applicalbe that a cop can pretty much use it for anything they don't like. As noted by a previous poster, Careless is more probable to be misused in this circumstance.

With respect to your opinions and insights, which I value, I think the problem for many of us is not "what does the law say" (although for HTA172 I do have a problem with what it says) it's "what is the cop gonna do with the law".

I don't think the cops ticket you hoping to land a conviction. You may declare victory after the trial, but that cop just got paid overtime for sitting around in a court room all day long. Win or lose, they win. That's the point. This is why you see cops making 100k a year. I'd love to see any other profession that doesnt require anything more than a high school education pay an easy 100k a year with pension and benefits. Pigs.
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    2003 Suzuki SV650s
    2002 Suzuki SV650
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Maybe he had bigger fish to fry? Dunno but those weren't major infractions.
    Speeding is less dangerous than making a turn in front of someone or driving off the road but I bet if he had added another 5-10 kph to his speed he would've gotten pulled over. Why do they only care about speeding (rhetorical question)??
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.