State Farm no longer insuring JUST Motorcycle Riders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Farm no longer insuring JUST Motorcycle Riders?

State Farm no longer insuring JUST Motorcycle Riders?

So I sent an email to my ex-State Farm Insurance agent asking for a quote and she said they only offer Bike Insurance for existing Auto policy holders and ONLY high risk rate for Motorbikes???

Is that really true??
    I always heard they were very good for Motorcycle insurance. Have they really closed themselves up so much??

Re: State Farm no longer insuring JUST Motorcycle Riders?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDude View Post
    So I sent an email to my ex-State Farm Insurance agent asking for a quote and she said they only offer Bike Insurance for existing Auto policy holders and ONLY high risk rate for Motorbikes???

Is that really true??
    I always heard they were very good for Motorcycle insurance. Have they really closed themselves up so much??
    Not to sure about the only motorcycles as last year it was fine when I talked to them.
    If $71/month for a SS is a high risk rate then not sure whats going on there either?
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

i just got insurance from them last week, all they asked was I have atleast 5 years experience on my drivers licenses. Thats the g + g2 + g1 => 5.

My agent writes only so many 'bike only' policies per year and once he hits that number, he just sends you to another agent that can handle the business.

Been with statefarm for years, got my renewal not too long ago, just the bike. Seems to be business as usual. Call another rep and see what they say.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

ex-State Farm Insurance agent

Maybe thats the problem.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Yeah, seems like she really doesn't want my business.
    Just confirms my initial decision to leave them lol.

Any one recommend an agent in Mississauga area?

Thanks for all the input guys!

Sounds kind of like what my insurance agent did to me..She said she would only insure me if I either multi-lined it with auto or life...so I told her I would look elsewhere. Then not much later she emailed me back and said she was given the go to make an "exception" and let me just get bike insurance

This is what she wrote from my email:

At this point due to the fact that we can only write another four policies this month for bike and agent needs to multi line I would say I'd be told to ask you to go elsewhere if you didn't want both, I'm afraid.

I recently got bike only insurance with State Farm agent Seamus Kelly (advertises on this forum) and they were a pleasure to deal with.

Good luck

I got Moto only insurance through Jessica at Tracey Pether's State Farm Agency . She's downtown at Adelaide and Jarvis.

It was quick and straight forward. There was a soft sell on life insurance but there was no problem declining it.

'08 NINJA 250r
    | Since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DollyMix View Post
    Sounds kind of like what my insurance agent did to me..She said she would only insure me if I either multi-lined it with auto or life...so I told her I would look elsewhere. Then not much later she emailed me back and said she was given the go to make an "exception" and let me just get bike insurance

At this point due to the fact that we can only write another four policies this month for bike and agent needs to multi line I would say I'd be told to ask you to go elsewhere if you didn't want both, I'm afraid.
    Yeah that's bull crap!
    The quickest way to lose my business is to force me into buying something...
    But I guess this agent really didn't want my business. So it's going elsewhere! I will give the other people a try. Thanks SPEED and NINJI for the contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by DollyMix View Post

Please feel free to forward emails of that sort to the competition bureau.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

State Farm is losing money like crazy and they have been for several years. It was only a matter of time until they stopped writing motorcycles.

I got state farm less than a month ago with moto only and only 65 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    I got state farm less than a month ago with moto only and only 65 a month.
    Wow really? I sent Seamus (mentioned above) a message on his website but haven't heard anything from his office yet.
    Lets see if they are willing to offer a quote.

So I heard back from Seamus' office. There rate seems pretty good so far.
    Need to get the bike now and then get final quotes from the 3 cheapest ones and pull the trigger!

Summer, here i come!

So I heard back from Seamus' office. There rate seems pretty good so far.
    Need to get the bike now and then get final quotes from the 3 cheapest ones and pull the trigger!

Summer, here i come!
    When you get final quotes it might be a good idea to have vin numbers for the bikes you're looking at. I've read a couple people on here being quoted one rate before they know the VIN and then a different rate after they have given the VIN to State Farm.

'08 NINJA 250r
    | Since 2011

Unless the insurance company has filed with the regulator that they will not accept stand-alone motorcycle policies, then they must write a stand-alone policy. I don't believe that State Farm has such a rule, but internally the agent is trying to protect the profitability of their book of business since part of their pay is contingent on their profitability.

The next time an agent/broker says that they can't write your stand-alone bike policy unless you purchase another product, ask them if this is stated in their eligibility criteria filed with FSCO -- that might change their tune
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Unless the insurance company has filed with the regulator that they will not accept stand-alone motorcycle policies, then they must write a stand-alone policy. I don't believe that State Farm has such a rule, but internally the agent is trying to protect the profitability of their book of business since part of their pay is contingent on their profitability.

The next time an agent/broker says that they can't write your stand-alone bike policy unless you purchase another product, ask them if this is stated in their eligibility criteria filed with FSCO -- that might change their tune
    Well I just said "thanks" and took my business elsewhere.
    So far the other Lady has been good and quick at responding. And there rates are competitive. I have it narrowed down to 3 companies which are very close to each other in price. Once I have the VIN of the bike, one of the 3 will get my business.

Hmm I think it's just certain agents that don't want to do it... I called this one guy from the agent finder thing on SF's site, and he said if I don't have multiple products he won't insure me, then two minutes later I called another agent, and she gave me a quote for $63/month, first bike, CBR250r, getting M2 over this weekend, had my G - G2 - G1 for almost 9 years though! call around to different agents... or if you want PM me and I'll give you the contact info the agent I spoke with.

Quote Originally Posted by Trice87 View Post
    Hmm I think it's just certain agents that don't want to do it... I called this one guy from the agent finder thing on SF's site, and he said if I don't have multiple products he won't insure me, then two minutes later I called another agent, and she gave me a quote for $63/month, first bike, CBR250r, getting M2 over this weekend, had my G - G2 - G1 for almost 9 years though! call around to different agents... or if you want PM me and I'll give you the contact info the agent I spoke with.
    It doesn't matter whether they "want" to quote you or not -- unless State Farm has filed that they will not write stand-alone motorcycles, they legally must provide you with a quote. The next time an agent tells you this, ask them if FSCO has approved State Farm to reject stand-alone motorcycle business.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)