Socket set on sale at Canadian Tire - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Socket set on sale at Canadian Tire

Re: Socket set on sale at Canadian Tire

I would love to get that set at $150.

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    Your post got me to find this one;

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/Sockets/SocketSets/PRDOVR~0582011P/Mastercraft+Maximum+174-Piece+Universal+Socket+Set.jsp?locale=en#product_a a

It may be time to replace (most of) my cobbled together sets of sockets... and the black will look very cool.
    I picked up that set before the sale was over.

I also have a rain check for this set, if anyone wants it at the sale price of $99 (Regular price is $269.99) The rain check is good for the next thirty days any Canadian Tire, and up to one year at Leslie/Lakeshore Canadian Tire. PM me if you are interested, I don't need it anymore since I found one at another store. I am in the Coxwell and Gerrard area.

Quote Originally Posted by SLaP View Post
    I picked up that set before the sale was over.

I also have a rain check for this set, if anyone wants it at the sale price of $99 (Regular price is $269.99) The rain check is good for the next thirty days any Canadian Tire, and up to one year at Leslie/Lakeshore Canadian Tire. PM me if you are interested, I don't need it anymore since I found one at another store. I am in the Coxwell and Gerrard area.
    Hmmm I might take you up on that raincheck Slap. How does this work, do I have to pickup a slip of paper from you?

Also what do you think of the set so far? Looks near identical to the Stanley hardware based on the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    Hmmm I might take you up on that raincheck Slap. How does this work, do I have to pickup a slip of paper from you?

Also what do you think of the set so far? Looks near identical to the Stanley hardware based on the pics.
    Except the CT set is spline sockets!

Quote Originally Posted by LeetViet View Post
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Just picked this up at Canadian Tire
    Got the same one on sale, I wouldn't go with mastercraft, Stanley is much better quality
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

The good thing with Mastercraft is that you can go in with a shattered socket and pickup a new one. I went in one day with over a dozen broken MC sockets and got replacements. Allot of these breaks were abuse trying to remove old rusty bolts from my car's suspension. Unsure how stanley warranty works, can you get a replacement socket same day?
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    The good thing with Mastercraft is that you can go in with a shattered socket and pickup a new one. can you get a replacement socket same day?
    a big +1 on this.

I had a large Mastercrap adjustable wrench. I was wrenching a large difficult bolt on a piece of equipment. Used a 4ft rigid 2" pipe and stuck it on the end of the wrench for leverage. *snap*

went to Crappy tire, and they gave me a new, better wrench, no questions asked.

The good thing with Mastercraft is that you can go in with a shattered socket and pickup a new one. I went in one day with over a dozen broken MC sockets and got replacements. Allot of these breaks were abuse trying to remove old rusty bolts from my car's suspension. Unsure how stanley warranty works, can you get a replacement socket same day?
    I am not sure, but I prefer to work with quality tools than to get the same crappy ones replaced
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

I've had my MC set for 25 years, hasn't cost me more than the original investment. I think their both made in China....hard to say which one is "better" quality. I've broke a few snap-on sockets in my day too....

It is all personal preference at some point...
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

I've had my MC set for 25 years, hasn't cost me more than the original investment. I think their both made in China....hard to say which one is "better" quality. I've broke a few snap-on sockets in my day too....

It is all personal preference at some point...
    Snap-on stuff is way more precise than anything else, including mastercraft. My dad's snap-on ratchets are simply amazing. I own the mastercraft maximum set, and it's good for everyday use, but for anything precise or if I am working in a tight spot, I still borrow his snap-on ratchets, because they click exactly the way the tool is supposed to. Same goes for the sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    Except the CT set is spline sockets!
    Ah yes, I failed to notice that! That's good I guess but I'm curious if durability is sacrificed for versatility? Meh, like others have said, I can get them replaced under guarantee if they break on me.

Ah yes, I failed to notice that! That's good I guess but I'm curious if durability is sacrificed for versatility? Meh, like others have said, I can get them replaced under guarantee if they break on me.
    Easy to have missed it; the picture on their website shows 6 point sockets. My concern is not that they'll break but rather that they'll round a nut just by looking at it!

Is that what they tend to do? I guess I can see that. Maybe I'll just stick with my set then and buy some extra 1/2" drive pieces as I need them. Thanks

Is that what they tend to do? I guess I can see that. Maybe I'll just stick with my set then and buy some extra 1/2" drive pieces as I need them. Thanks
    From my experience, 99% of "universal" tools are universally crap and universally cannot do the job properly. Take your time and either get separate SAE and metric sets over time or get a bigger socket set.

I was wandering around CT today and noticed a non-advertised sale on yet another socket set;

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/Sockets/SocketSets/PRD~0589275P/Mastercraft+Maximum+201-Pc+Socket+Set.jsp?locale=en

I know in reading the reviews that they've gone on sale for $99 in the past but I didn't want to take a chance so picked them up for half off at $160. This set is very complete with all three drives, not a lot of tools I didn't want (hex keys), came with trays (which are quite flimsy but I just like them to keep the tools organized in my tool box, not for transport) and they're MC Maximum so good quality (enough for me) and instant replacement when I walk in the store.

I'll be keeping these ones. For anyone interested, the 177 piece Stanley kit was on for the same price... again, not advertised.

looking for a socket set too...is this a good deal?
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
    Lots of sockets and a good sale price but lacks 1/2 drive which may or may not be important to you. Personally I would hold out for a MC Maximum; the quality of the ratchets is quite substantial over this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    I am not sure, but I prefer to work with quality tools than to get the same crappy ones replaced
    I have about 10 socket sets, both those brands are represented.

I don't see much of a quality difference.