Any small engine / outboard mechanics?

Thread: Any small engine / outboard mechanics?

Any small engine / outboard mechanics?

My honda outboard BF8 wont start...gotta have it running by may 5th. Anybody got recommendations?
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Re: Any small engine / outboard mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    My honda outboard BF8 wont start...gotta have it running by may 5th. Anybody got recommendations?
    Fart in the intake.

check the basics, gas and spark
    Last edited by lucky2; 04-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.

clean plug and fuel , BF8 is a basic 4 stroke OB . the fuel shutoff on them is goofy be sure your getting fuel and if your getting spark you should be ok, does it at least cough or just spin over?

I had checked the fuel and spark, they were both present. I cleaned the plugs, checked the resistance on the coil, etc. It wouldnt even cough.

Then I searched online and someone suggested pullin the choke, putting it in forward gear, opening the throttle, cranking it over 4 times, and then going back to neutral...sure enough it fired up afterwards. No idea how or why that made a difference but Im happy it worked...
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    I had checked the fuel and spark, they were both present. I cleaned the plugs, checked the resistance on the coil, etc. It wouldnt even cough.

Then I searched online and someone suggested pullin the choke, putting it in forward gear, opening the throttle, cranking it over 4 times, and then going back to neutral...sure enough it fired up afterwards. No idea how or why that made a difference but Im happy it worked...
    You didnt check for farts in the intake?