1998-99 Yamaha YZF R1 + Kehin 41 FCR (TPS Question)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998-99 Yamaha YZF R1 + Kehin 41 FCR (TPS Question)

1998-99 Yamaha YZF R1 + Kehin 41 FCR (TPS Question)

Anyone know how to properly splice/wire the TPS up?

Kehin FCR 41 TPS. (Blue - power/ black-ground/ yellow-signal)

Stock 98-99 R1 TPS harness.. (Blue - power / black&blue- Ground / Yellow - Signal )

Correct?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Re: 1998-99 Yamaha YZF R1 + Kehin 41 FCR (TPS Question)

I was wondering if anyone has experience with FCR's and could give me a few words of advice.

Ill save the story and have it at the bottom if anyone's interested.

Looking at the Dyno AF Readout... and the video, anyone got suggestions on what should be done?

if you notice at 1:10 theres quite abit of smoke that pops out (black) then turns white & flames... floating valves? or....

YOUTUBE VIDEO.

VIDEO 1:
    http://youtu.be/vTEG8f4QmvA

VIDEO 2:
    http://youtu.be/6YmqPuSRYpQ

STORY:
    ======================
    I recently put FCR's on and I just ran it at a dyno today. 123 BHP, lean
    (fcr) then rich until 80 mph, then it goes lean...

I think there could be some room for improvement.

Their quick summary is the bikes rich, and off the throttle it was poppin
    flames out the back. On max throttle it had black smoke then white/blue when
    rolled off..

Ignition Advance +4
    12.5 comp Milled heads,
    Yec springs valves cams cdi...

I hope you get her sorted out man! I don't understand how your bike can put out sooo much smoke at an AFR of 14 and over! It just doesn't make sense to me

Hopefully some of the carb guys can chime in!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Hey Jamie,

I'm trying to wrap my head around it and decide on what's a good course of action... I think the smoke started to come out near the 120 bhp near the end, where you see the hps spike up n down. Yea, at a AFR of 14 +... Should be lean...

Is it possible for the cam timing to be off? or,... Floating valves?

A power commander, ignition modulator and an autotune sounds good about now.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    I hope you get her sorted out man! I don't understand how your bike can put out sooo much smoke at an AFR of 14 and over! It just doesn't make sense to me

Hopefully some of the carb guys can chime in!

-Jamie M.

Quote Originally Posted by deadbanana0717 View Post
    A power commander, ignition modulator and an autotune sounds good about now.
    Yeah, if you didn't have carbs you'd be all set

If I was you? I'd find a wrecked newer R1 and swap out the engine and ECU

But that's just me. I've heard Rosey Toes is good with carbs, but not sure about something unique like your bike

I'm going to flash my friends bike with http://www.flash-tune.com/?wpsc-prod...ning-interface , does way more stuff than the power commander and even has some basic auto tuning stuff too $349 is a crazy deal, no power commander required! I think you should get an 2007-2012 R1 so you can do the same thing!

No idea on the cam timing or valve float, I've never had experience with either I know a buddies 03 R6 had bad coils and every time he went over 11k RPM he'd have bad black smoke and bouncy power like you are, he replaced two of his coils (confirmed bad using a multimeter) and ran like a champ after that.

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 04-15-2012 at 02:08 AM.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Z1 Cycle Tech has tons of experience with 41mm FCRs and 20 valve Yamahas.
    Pi, Novice 728

Quote Originally Posted by doubleapex View Post
    Any clue if they will want my arm and leg, or just an arm? (ball park figure?) I was thinking if I should even try to trial and error this out and pay for dyno runs. its all about carb. theories... was thinking of getting some feed back from R1 forums too..

Quote Originally Posted by doubleapex View Post
    Yea, probably should leave it to the professionals... Since, without a Dyno theres no real place to test/measure the changes to the jetting. =( Will keep them in mind. THanks!

Yea, probably should leave it to the professionals... Since, without a Dyno theres no real place to test/measure the changes to the jetting. =( Will keep them in mind. THanks!
    If you already have one, or get welded in, an O2 bung you're welcome to borrow my power commander/autotune/wideband to data log the AFR (works best on 3rd gear pulls from low RPM to redline ).

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Im running some old school technology here... an o2 bung eh? maybe i should check out your setup and see what your talking about =)...

If you already have one, or get welded in, an O2 bung you're welcome to borrow my power commander/autotune/wideband to data log the AFR (works best on 3rd gear pulls from low RPM to redline ).

-Jamie M.

Im running some old school technology here... an o2 bung eh? maybe i should check out your setup and see what your talking about =)...
    I know ur old skewl, but you can still data log with my PCV/autotune/wideband, it just can't tune your bike for you

O2 bung (get it in stainless): http://www.themustangshop.ca/product/7048062/300435

Just have to put it in the single pipe (after the 4 into 2 into 1) anywhere, usually just before where it comes out from under the bike is good A shop does them for $35 for me (drill hole and tig weld bung on) if I bring him the exhaust pipe NOT on the bike

They make stand alone AFR gauges that come with a wideband sensor you could install right on your bike, put that new O2 bung to good use

Complete kit including bung: http://prosportgauges.com/wideband-a...ratio-kit.aspx

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Fantastic!

Thanks for the link!

I know ur old skewl, but you can still data log with my PCV/autotune/wideband, it just can't tune your bike for you

O2 bung (get it in stainless): http://www.themustangshop.ca/product/7048062/300435

Just have to put it in the single pipe (after the 4 into 2 into 1) anywhere, usually just before where it comes out from under the bike is good A shop does them for $35 for me (drill hole and tig weld bung on) if I bring him the exhaust pipe NOT on the bike

They make stand alone AFR gauges that come with a wideband sensor you could install right on your bike, put that new O2 bung to good use

Complete kit including bung: http://prosportgauges.com/wideband-a...ratio-kit.aspx

-Jamie M.

Fantastic!

Thanks for the link!
    No problem There are cheaper AFR gauge kits than the one I linked, but that one has a 0-5v data logging output which is super useful

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Im on Fleebay looking for O2 Widebands right now. you got a link to the cheaper one? (ah nm the other one doesnt have one.?)

does it correlate the O2 readings with your RPM? else, im not sure if it will be entirely useful. How would you interpret the stuff?

No problem There are cheaper AFR gauge kits than the one I linked, but that one has a 0-5v data logging output which is super useful

-Jamie M.

Im on Fleebay looking for O2 Widebands right now. you got a link to the cheaper one? (ah nm the other one doesnt have one.?)

does it correlate the O2 readings with your RPM? else, im not sure if it will be entirely useful. How would you interpret the stuff?
    I made up a crappy little camera mount for my bike, strapped on my digital camera so it could see my tach AND the AFR gauge = instant perfect RPM based data logger video, would work even on the cheapest crappiest kit you could find, doesn't need to support data logging

Be creative

I'll look for the cheapest AFR setup I can find. Keep in mind MOST car AFR kits with the cheap wideband's don't read below about 13.5AFR. The kit I linked does right to 10.0

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 04-18-2012 at 01:34 AM.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

I made up a crappy little camera mount for my bike, strapped on my digital camera so it could see my tach AND the AFR gauge = instant perfect RPM based data logger video

Be creative

I'll look for the cheapest AFR setup I can find. Keep in mind MOST car AFR kits with the cheap wideband's don't read below about 13.5AFR. The kit I linked does right to 10.0

-Jamie M.

On another note, how do you reply so fast? i only know to check this page when my Black berry blinks red for the email prompt!
    geez!

LOL... OHHH so you were saying buy a 8 $ bung and i can borrow your guage? Tehehe... i see... proabbly best to get my own tho. :S ...
    My friend was thinking of doing something similar to this.

Do you even need to do this with Autotune on the way? plug n play it will adjust your AF to match your request.

But your Idea recording the SPeedo/tac/guage is a great Idea. a few pulls and that should be more than enough info!

On another note, how do you reply so fast? i only know to check this page when my Black berry blinks red for the email prompt!
    geez!

LOL... OHHH so you were saying buy a 8 $ bung and i can borrow your guage? Tehehe... i see... proabbly best to get my own tho. :S ...
    My friend was thinking of doing something similar to this.

Do you even need to do this with Autotune on the way? plug n play it will adjust your AF to match your request.

But your Idea recording the SPeedo/tac/guage is a great Idea. a few pulls and that should be more than enough info!
    I run my own mail server in my house = instant e-mail notification delivery, I run blackberry enterprise server on it to, so instant e-mail to my crackberry as well

Yep, $8 bung and you gotta borrow a bunch of stuff. Power Commander V, Power Commander Auto Tune, Wideband O2 sensor, and my little netbook (it does the data logging). Would be a bit of work to get it all setup for ya, so going with your own gauge/wideband is probably the best route Then just data log with digital camera (my setup doesn't have a gauge).

The AutoTune tunes my bike in real time, as I'm driving, and after I'm done driving when I connect my laptop it shows me all the tuning changes it wants to make and I can "apply" them to the base map.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

I run my own mail server in my house = instant e-mail notification delivery, I run blackberry enterprise server on it to, so instant e-mail to my crackberry as well

Yep, $8 bung and you gotta borrow a bunch of stuff. Power Commander V, Power Commander Auto Tune, Wideband O2 sensor, and my little netbook (it does the data logging). Would be a bit of work to get it all setup for ya, so going with your own gauge/wideband is probably the best route Then just data log with digital camera (my setup doesn't have a gauge).

The AutoTune tunes my bike in real time, as I'm driving, and after I'm done driving when I connect my laptop it shows me all the tuning changes it wants to make and I can "apply" them to the base map.

-Jamie M.
    Can you remind me why im playing with Carbs still? If you keep that up, Dyno's wont have any business..

Can you remind me why im playing with Carbs still? If you keep that up, Dyno's wont have any business..
    You don't even WANT to know what I'm going to be doing with my AutoTune after I get it. Dyno places won't be happy Put it this way, all the fuel injected people on this forum will be extra happy, if they have any flavor power commander, or if they don't at least the 2008-2011 R6 people can be extra happy

I think your carb'd bike is OK. People that have perfectly tuned carb'd bikes have a little more respect in my book. A friends 99 R6, idles like a dream, lifts the front wheel easily every time you want it to. Huge respect for a well set up carb'd bike!

But, when they aren't running good you just want to blow them up, that's for sure I admire your patience.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

My 96 YZF600 racebike would only run on 3 cyl when I got it.
    Took it to Platinum Powersports for a complete carb rebuild and tune up.

He welded an O2 bung and ran wideband on the bike real time while tuning it.

Runs very strong now....passes YZF750s and GSXR 750s on the straights even.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---