2002 Suzuki TL1000R shuts down :S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R shuts down :S

2002 Suzuki TL1000R shuts down :S

Hey everybody
    i need a bit of help in finding out the problem

i got a 02' tl1000r, runs no problem, starts in a jiffy, however when its running, just randomly it will shut off as id hit the kill switch
    now i thought to myself maybe its the idle valve.. tried adjusting that, no luck
    well the bike has been stored over the winter, so i figured id go for a rip, see how that goes
    the bike is warm enough.. lets go!
    as im making a slow left hand turn in 1st gear, it does it again, just shuts off, lights everything is on, but motor shuts off.. wtf

anybody got any idea?
    any input is greatly appriciated
    if speed doesnt scare you, the truck around the corner will.

2002 Suzuki TL1000R - Current
    2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - Stolen
    2000 Suzuki GSXR 750 - Sold
    1995 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R - Sold

Re: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R shuts down :S

Sounds like electrical. Perhaps an intermittent ground problem?

Step 1, check your battery connections. Make sure they are tight and clean.

Check tip over sensor too. Does the fuel pump prime after it shuts engine down? Check the R/R and the plug going into your starter solenoid for corrosion.
    I plan on leaving this world the same way i came in...... Bloody and screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnder View Post
    Check tip over sensor too. Does the fuel pump prime after it shuts engine down? Check the R/R and the plug going into your starter solenoid for corrosion.
    I dont think those old TILLERS have a tip over sensor....

^ bealive it or not, it does! :P
    i will go to the garage later, try to look around the ecu and tos, see if i can scout something out

Quote Originally Posted by Hi RPM View Post
    ^ bealive it or not, it does! :P
    i will go to the garage later, try to look around the ecu and tos, see if i can scout something out
    The problem definitely sounds like electrical. If its intermittent it sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. Start checking the battery connections, then charging system stuff, then everything else. Hopefully it is something obvious. If you can, get some dielectric grease and remove all the connectrs you can then smear on some of the grease then reconnect.

Does it have a kickstand sensor? If so I'd put my money on that being the problem.
    2006 GSXR 1000
    2007 GSXR 600 (track - sold)

PM me if you have a good track bike for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwrkr13 View Post
    Does it have a kickstand sensor? If so I'd put my money on that being the problem.
    Yep, that was the problem on my 2000 CBR 929! Especially left hand corners in 1st gear. If I hit a bump at all BOOM, it'd just die!

Can't count how many times it tried to kill me like that. I'd like to think I'm a better rider now because of it

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    The problem definitely sounds like electrical. If its intermittent it sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. Start checking the battery connections, then charging system stuff, then everything else. Hopefully it is something obvious. If you can, get some dielectric grease and remove all the connectrs you can then smear on some of the grease then reconnect.
    Older suzuki's have poor quality plugs, that will short out over time....there should be a Yellow ; white ; black plug hidden around the rad...that could be the issue. I've seen various models from SV's, GSXR's....have the same issue with plugs...its usually the yellow or white plug which is the issue.

Clean + di-electrical grease is great advise....even if it isn't the fix that will resolve it....

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwrkr13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Yep, that was the problem on my 2000 CBR 929! Especially left hand corners in 1st gear. If I hit a bump at all BOOM, it'd just die!

Can't count how many times it tried to kill me like that. I'd like to think I'm a better rider now because of it

-Jamie M.
    Easy way to trouble shoot the switch issue...dis-connect and by-pass and test it out....

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    Easy way to trouble shoot the switch issue...dis-connect and by-pass and test it out....
    It was brand new, under warranty. Shop took 1.5 years to fix.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    It was brand new, under warranty. Shop took 1.5 years to fix.

-Jamie M.
    wow @ shop....

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    wow @ shop....
    Brooklin Cycle. No longer in business.

They kept blaming it on stuff. "It's your radar detector", remove that, still does it, bring it back. "It's your power commander", remove that, bring it back. "It's your blue neon lights". Remove those, bring it back. "Oh, Honda said probably bad TPS, three weeks to get one. Tried that, same problem. Replaced absolutely everything on the bike including the ECU and still did it. Not sure how they eventually figured out it was the kick stand sensor! lol. They were convinced it was a fuel injection problem because it was Honda's first bike with Fi.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

If it still does it with the sidestand switch eliminated, one easy thing to check is.............with the bike running, turn the bars from left to right a number of times and then try tugging on the wiring and connectors especially from the ignition switch and the kill button box. Most times you can get a bike to shut off pretty quick if there's a problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by theassassin View Post
    If it still does it with the sidestand switch eliminated, one easy thing to check is.............with the bike running, turn the bars from left to right a number of times and then try tugging on the wiring and connectors especially from the ignition switch and the kill button box. Most times you can get a bike to shut off pretty quick if there's a problem there.
    Thats what I was thinking, weak connection somewhere. I had a similar problem on my bike. It kept shutting off while driving in a straight line. Battery had enough juice to start but it wasn't getting a charge from the regulator/ stator. Once I replaced the battery ( my sealed battery had no liquid left in it when I opened it. But since it was a Yuasa, it recovered enough to start the bike each and every time.

Anyhow, once I replaced the stator/ rectifier and all the old wires to the stator and rectifier, problem solved and bike puts out 13.8 volts when running.

Start with your battery and see what it puts outs when disconnected, when connected, when the bike has been started. You may be surprised. My bike is a VFR but the most common problems with bikes and cutting out while running can be traced to electrical. Check all connections to stator and rectifier and see if anything is burnt, feel around for hard /brittle wires.

Shoot me a PM or repost..

hey everybody, havent been on here for a while, im helping my family move to a new house, and at the same time IM moving to a new house aswell
    2 moves in 1 month, so much packing :@

anyways about the bike

ive stripped the bike completly, greased all connectors, checked all the wires, wiggled allllll the wires while the bike was running, turned the steering wheel left/right
    jumped on the bike.. NOTHING, it still dies on me

HOWEVER

i found something out, the bike had a PowerCommander on it before, but its not there, i found the connectors in the tail part after i took it off
    and another thing: when im on the bike, and just rolling in first gear WITHOUT giving the bike gas, and just releasing the clutch, the bike will move, and then shut off, the same identical way it would shut off when you hit the kill switch, BUT the switch wasnt touched

guys pleaseee help me out here, this is driving me crazy, the weather is super epic, so many bikes out, and im still stuck in my cage

wanted to add a few ideas running through my head

could it be gas?? the bike was stored over winter, and when i cameby to see it, the bike barely had any fuel in it
    could it be spark plugs? what if a cap on one spark plug is not sitting well enough, could that cause the shut down? its a v-twin dont forget
    air filter?
    clogged fuel filter???

FFFFFAAAAQQQQQ im soooo angryyyyy

wanted to add a few ideas running through my head

could it be gas?? the bike was stored over winter, and when i cameby to see it, the bike barely had any fuel in it
    could it be spark plugs? what if a cap on one spark plug is not sitting well enough, could that cause the shut down? its a v-twin dont forget
    air filter?
    clogged fuel filter???

FFFFFAAAAQQQQQ im soooo angryyyyy

All of those are possible. Try bypassing the kickstand switch, or check your manual and test it with a multimeter. Also check the voltage on your battery while it is off, ignition on, idling, and when it is running. Post back with the #'s.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

http://www.chucksirois.com/tl1000/FAQ.htm

Electrical problems; crazy gauges, dimming gauges/ dash, battery does not charge, bike dies
    First things first, make sure you have a good battery and that it has a good clean connection to the bike. Put your bike in dealer mode and check for any code and resolve those first. A broken wire can appear as a faulty sensor or if you have other issues you may want to deal with those first.
    The most common problem at this point is connector corrosion on the main fuse block which is located next to the battery. The positive line from the batter goes right to it and it has 2 fuses -the fuse and a spare. There a 4 wire plug that connects to this block -this is where your problem may be GO HERE
    Other common problems: faulty side stand switch, faulty kill switch, faulty start switch, bad starter, bad fuel pump

http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/54/60/

"This page is about getting the bike into dealer mode to check for fault code and to set the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

The instructions are valid for the TLS and the TLR and the fault codes are the same for both bikes except the TLR has a couple of extra codes for the secondary injectors."

Also, here is the shop manual...

http://www.chucksirois.com/TL1000/fileshare/files/TL1000R-Manual%2898-02%29.pdf

i found something out, the bike had a PowerCommander on it before, but its not there, i found the connectors in the tail part after i took it off
    More than likely you found the plug needed to enter the dealer mode.

Hope that helps. post up any results.
    Last edited by SLaP; 05-08-2012 at 02:34 AM.

What SLaP said. Do yourself a favour; follow the links he provided (they're all fantastic and they know their stuff. You can also check www.tlzone.net and www.tlplanet.com) and check for a code in dealer mode (if you don't have the dealer plug you can make one with a paper clip and a little electrical tape). If no code, then by-pass your kick-stand switch and try it out... I'm thinking you'll find your problem by then.
    Last edited by coyo; 05-08-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    2008 SuperDuke (current)
    2003 WR450F / SM (current)
    2005 DRZ400SM
    2003 XR50R (current, son's)
    1997 TL1000S
    1999 SV650S
    1985 GS750EF
    1983 GPz750
    1982 Nighthawk 650

the links that SLAP posted, i came across them yesterday night, im gonna go later today and try doing that power fix mod
    also i gonna drain the gas tank, check the air filter, plugs, fuel filter
    and later ill update here