semi-geriatric rider here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: semi-geriatric rider here...

Smile semi-geriatric rider here...

Howdy!

Just wanted to do my introduction... feel free not to read.

Currently male, 41 years old, married with kids, new to the forum. Motorcycling for a while now. I try to keep my skills sharp with varied riding experiences: trackdays, some dirt riding, texting while riding, etc.

Have lived in Texas but I am originally from Canada, and, if things go well in the next month or so, I could be back in Toronto before September! Wish me luck, after all, Toronto is the best city on this little planet, and nothing will drive this home better than living away for a decade. When I left Canada, Jean Chretien was Prime Minister...

I suppose I will miss the year-round riding here in Texas and the utter lack of traffic. On the bright side, I won't miss American TV (I gotta say, do I ever miss Knowlton Nash, please tell me he still anchors CBC's The National!), unbridled consumerism and being in a Conservative stronghold! Assuming you all split lanes by now I would imagine things being relatively tolerable commute-wise. Hmmm, I guess I'm in for a bit of a shock...

Cheers!
    “Love is the absence of judgment.”
    - Dalai Lama

Re: semi-geriatric rider here...

Welcome.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

I'm sorry to report the Leafs haven't won anything since you left...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayv View Post
    I'm sorry to report the Leafs haven't won anything since you left...
    ... nor will they in our lifetime.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

I'd say welcome but I don't think Toronto needs another light-hearted funny guy who doesn't take himself too seriously. We need more egomaniacal uptight prissy boys.

Or do I have that backwards?

Anyways, emoclew.
    There is no planet B.

It's too bad about the Leaves. But at least you have metric now!
    - Dalai Lama

God does that mean I am semi-geriatric too?? Oh nooooooooo
    Leafs will never win but I got a good feeling about the boys of summer!
    Welcome anyways.
    Ride it like you stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto Ronto View Post
    When I left Canada, Jean Chretien was Prime Minister...
    On the bright side, I won't miss American TV (I gotta say, do I ever miss Knowlton Nash, please tell me he still anchors CBC's The National!)
    Moslty American TV up here anyway. The odd good Canadian show here & there. Knowlton Nash retired before you left (1992) and stopped anchoring The National in '88 Chretien was PM from '93-'03. Your more geriatric than you think? LOL

Assuming you all split lanes by now I would imagine things being relatively tolerable commute-wise. Hmmm, I guess I'm in for a bit of a shock...
    Yep, a mighty shock awaits if your caught splitting that's for sure. 7days no licence, no bike, BIG impound fees and possible fines/further suspension. Traffic isn't that bad, depending on when your driving.

Welcome.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Re: semi-geriatric rider?

At 41? Well, you are only as old as you feel; I am 56, semi-retired and do not consider myself to be semi-geriatric.

Welcome to the forum. BTW, no lane splitting here, the Leafs still suck and traffic is fine as long as you stay clear of the GTA.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    ... nor will they in our lifetime.
    Or your kids lifetimes Welcome aboard
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar View Post
    God does that mean I am semi-geriatric too?? Oh nooooooooo
    Leafs will never win but I got a good feeling about the boys of summer!
    Welcome anyways.
    Thank you! Indeed, you are only as old as you feel... you are definitely not semi-geriatric. However, I was thinking about a catchy tagline that was sure to arouse people... second choice was "hot Asian teen here" but it felt like lying (I'm only half Asian, and closer to geriatric than teen).
    - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    Moslty American TV up here anyway. The odd good Canadian show here & there. Knowlton Nash retired before you left (1992) and stopped anchoring The National in '88 Chretien was PM from '93-'03. Your more geriatric than you think? LOL

Yep, a mighty shock awaits if your caught splitting that's for sure. 7days no licence, no bike, BIG impound fees and possible fines/further suspension. Traffic isn't that bad, depending on when your driving.

Welcome.
    Thank you!

OK, OK, I'll settle for Peter Mansbridge... he is kinda Knowlton-y anyways. At least there's CityTV to make a person feel like part of a community...

Lane splitting not legal here, huh? Well, technically, I don't believe there are laws explicitly allowing lane splitting in California, but there's also nothing expressly prohibiting the practice. More importantly, it's something accepted there.

I'll settle for riding in the shoulder, then.

Anybody riding Buells up here?
    - Dalai Lama

. Anybody riding Buells up here?
    I thought you do that in Texas?

I am fully geriatric, but still riding...welcome back to TO.
    2011 BMW K1300S

Good one! Officially, bull riding does not begin until one's second decade of being in Texas. Hopefully I won't be around for that.

You are fully geriatric, and I would gather fully Asian as well? Don't want to be presumptuous. But that would make for a hot re-introduction, "fully asian, fully geriatric here" ... stimulating!
    - Dalai Lama

Welcome!!

Welcome,
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

You are fully geriatric, and I would gather fully Asian as well? Don't want to be presumptuous. But that would make for a hot re-introduction, "fully asian, fully geriatric here" ... stimulating!
    It's a bit complicated.

Fully Asian? Well, I was born in Korea but grew up in Germany and have lived in the US and Canada...

Fully geriatric? I have 17 year old daughter who is giving me gray hairs so I definitely qualify.

Hot re-introduction? Well, my bike is hot. Me, not so much...
    2011 BMW K1300S

I can understand your affinity for BMWs, now. You can tell so much about a person from the bike they ride. How do you like your 1300S? I can see it being a real pleasure on the road, effortless acceleration and smooth ride. Since the demise of Buell, I have been giving thought to switching to BMW, but it seems like a somewhat expensive transition... what has been your experience?

My daughter is 3 years old, and she's already giving me gray... good luck with yours!
    - Dalai Lama

I can understand your affinity for BMWs, now. You can tell so much about a person from the bike they ride. How do you like your 1300S? I can see it being a real pleasure on the road, effortless acceleration and smooth ride. Since the demise of Buell, I have been giving thought to switching to BMW, but it seems like a somewhat expensive transition... what has been your experience?

My daughter is 3 years old, and she's already giving me gray... good luck with yours!
    I think test riding is the only way. If and when you are ready I can steer you towards an amazing sales guy I have come to know buying an R1200R and now the K1300S. Both are outstanding bikes, I like the silky smooth power on the new bike. Excellent build quality and reliability for both. Most riders on BMWs that I know own a GS but BMW thinks every rider is over 6ft tall. I like the GS as well but it was a bit too tall for me to feel comfortable on.
    2011 BMW K1300S

...Currently male...

welcome.