Vinxxgrip passenger handle

Thread: Vinxxgrip passenger handle

Vinxxgrip passenger handle

So I said that I would do up a review of the Vinxxgrip passenger handle that I bought for my 2007 Yamaha R6. The package was waiting for me at my front door this afternoon when I got home from work so I installed it and took my gf out for a ride to test it out. I have to say that after only about 20kms with the Vinxxgrip I don't know that I'd ride 2up without it again. The install was so easy that literally anyone could do it. It took 10 mins start to finish and most of that time was finding the right sized allen keys.
    Here's how it went:

The contents of the box

Step 1: Remove the stock bolts

Step 2: Line up the bracket holes and insert the new bolts

You are now essentially done the install. This Bracket is the only thing that stays on the bike when the handles are not in use. It's really not that bad at all, you really don't notice it.

Now, to clip the handles in

There is a hinge that you can see where the handle meets the plate. Adjust the rubber handle ends just touch the tank and then tighten to lock in place

A few pics of everything put together:

The handles and entire black part comes off without any tools at all and you could easily pop the entire bracket off and reinstall the stock bolts in 5 mins if it really bothered you but I highly doubt that it will.
    Literally the ONLY thing that I've notice that isn't perfect is that there is some extremely slight movement in the handles because they just click into place, but were talking about mm's here.

After a quick boot around town my gf LOVES this set up. She doesn't have to stretch to reach the handles and can actually reach them when I'm sitting straight up at a red light. She's only 5'8 and she's got reach to spare. She says it's a lot more comfortable and she's got a lot more grip and confidence when accelerating or braking hard. Her back doesn't take anywhere near the strain that holding onto the rider does and she likes 'having her own space'

From my seat, I barely feel her on the bike at all. It's like I've got my bike back!! I don't have to worry if I get on the gas a little hard and there is no weight transferred to me at all under heavy braking. Cornering is better as I have more space to move in the saddle without having her 'stuck' to my back, and it's MUCH easier to use my legs to take weight off of my wrists.

Verdict:
    Fitment 5/5
    Quality 5/5
    Comfort 5/5
    Looks 4/5
    Value 4/5 ($215.48 to my front door)

If you do anymore than a few 2ups per year you need this thing!! If you don't like 2upping or feel that your pillion wraps you up, you need this thing. If I bought a new SS this would be my FIRST mod.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wasted; 04-12-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Re: Vinxxgrip passenger handle

Hey wasted, would you mind posting a quick review when you guys take it on a long trip? I've been thinking of getting one, but I thought the price to be a bit much as I was not sure if it worked well.

It looks like a good product, but the cost, coupled with the loss of tank bag space , doesn't make it attractive to me.
    Thanks for the review.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Thanks for the review.
    I would also be interested to see how it works out after an hour or two on the bike.
    It looks like something I will have to order as well, my only concern is that my girl is 5'3/4 so I'm not sure how comfortable she'll be reaching for them.
    Mina

I'll post again when we've had a chance to get out and really test it, but I think it's going to be more of the same. They really do make the ride more comfortable. As far as reach goes, I think that if she can palm the tank she can reach the grips but if you ever find yourself out Burlington way I'd be more than happy to let you both sit on my bike and make sure.
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Hey sounds like you found exactly what you needed. I'm glad to hear that it worked out so well!

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

Quote Originally Posted by IRONLUNG View Post
    Hey sounds like you found exactly what you needed. I'm glad to hear that it worked out so well!
    Thanks
    I'm really happy with them. We did about an hour on Friday evening. Still not a full out 'long' day but I did go solo to Dover and back so I was pretty tired, and I was happy to have them!
    As far as fitment for shorter passengers goes, I have a cousin who is about 5' so I'll see if I can't get her to try them out and see how the reach is.

For anyone interested this is where I ordered:
    http://www.moto-tuner.com/default.asp
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Thanks for sharing the find Wasted.
    I went ahead and purchased the unit. Above average built quality, easy installation and quick release set-up. Overall, pretty great for $200.
    The only complaint is more related to my bike and passenger, than the unit itself. My GF is 5-2" and I am on a GSX-R 1000. The reach from the tank to her seat is quite long (Very long subframe on the thou I find). On our 4 hour ride on Sunday, she couldn't reach comfortably for cruising, but for the twisty bits, she (naturally leaned forward more) reaches and feels much more secure.
    Definitely nice not to have her weight on my wrists!

Very happy with them so far.
    2009 GSX-R 1000 (current)
    2009 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
    1999 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    Big Wheel...