How much can we negotiate at dealers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much can we negotiate at dealers?

How much can we negotiate at dealers?

Hi guys,

I passed my M1 written test today and will be enrolling in the MSF course in 2 months time. After completing the course and getting my M2, I plan to get myself a Ninja 250, preferably year 2010 above.

I have never bought car/bike in the past so I'm wondering just how much we can negotiate with the dealers. I called several dealers, 1 of which was Kahuna and they said that a new 2012 ninja 250 is $4,999. I'm pretty sure that's not their best offer and they can lower the price, am I right? but by how much? I just want to make sure that I don't low ball them too much when making my offer, but at the same time I don't even know where to begin.

I'd appreciate it if you guys can also let me know how much you got your bike's price reduced by when you purchased it, and which dealer you went to.

Thanks!

Re: How much can we negotiate at dealers?

ive never bought a new vehicle before. but from my understanding you have much more "wiggle" room with a used vehicle.
    the dealers are giving you the sticker price(purchase price + markup) so its up to you to find out or get a rough idea of what the actual vehicle costs.

before even doing this. figure out what YOU want to spend on a bike. last thing you want to do is over-extend yourself on the purchase of a pleasure vehicle.
    personally though, i think the best deals can be had buying privately, but it's always buyer beware with these.

Exactly, that's the reason I'm trying to shy away from private sellers. I'm nervous enough as it is buying from a licensed dealer.

I'm thinking of spending around $4.5k for a new 2012 model or $4k for a used older model. I don't know if that's a fair offer though.

The problem here is that you have to think in percentages. Lot's of people talk bout saving $1-2000 and everyone wants a deal like that. But what you have to remember is that the bike they were buying was probably over $10-12,000. Possibly you could save $150-400 on a bike like that at this time of the year..
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Alright so are you saying that on a bike that's listed as $5k, it can only be lowered to about $150-400 tops?

No, anything is possible. I wouldn't expect any more but i also don't sell them so what do i really know?
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Haha alright thanks.

these 250s are generally brand new somewhere around $5000 right, so u cant expect too much wiggle room because they are already pretty low priced compared to when your buying a car for $40,000. The higher the price, the more room to play only makes sense to me. I believe in my highschool small business class they always talked about 100% markup, now im not believing these numbers are correct but take that principle to the ninja and you get a bike which costs $2500 to make, sold for $5000. That $2500 has to cover alot of expenses to the dealership so i dont think there will be that much room to play with. If that car I made up that costs $40,000 then we would assume $20,000 is for cost to build and the rest is revenue and since its a much larger number they would be more willing to wiggle for you. Keep in mind I am not a business student at all nor do I work for any business but it just makes sense to me

However it's still acceptable to negotiate at a dealer even if it's just for a few hundred $$$ right? Cause I've never been particularly good at bargaining in the past and I tend to just accept whatever price was offered initially. But in this case I'd really like to get the best deal so I can use the money saved to invest into better riding gear.

How many places did you get quotes from? $5k was the cheapest? I'd tell them simply "Can you do a bit better?" if they say no then tell them you will shop around and you will let them know. If they don't bite you can always go back another day after trying with a different dealer. If they do better then get it in writing and say you have to talk to the wife/gf or whatever. Use that to shop around until you hit a point where you're not getting any lower. Pick the dealer that treats you best at that point.

And just so you don't think i'm talking out my @ss i am a small business owner. I am not offended when people tell me that they got a better deal and ask for better. What makes me more mad is when i find out they didn't give me a chance to beat the other offer at all.
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

I'd suggest that you look at "Add-ons" as the kicker. If the MSRP is at $4,999, Don't expect them to drop it. Esp at this time of the year.
    Look for what they can offer you in addition to the Bike, i.e. Extended warranty through the dealer or perhaps some gear (Helmet, gloves.....)

Good luck! Don't ruin the experience by going in as you would buying from a private seller ("Well, I only have $4,500 on me in cash) type of approach.

@budgetracing I got quotes from 3 different dealers, they all say $5k for a new 2012 model (which is what i expected). and yeah I think that's what i'll do. thanks for the advice

@Derek what are add-ons?
    Last edited by wowren; 04-12-2012 at 10:55 PM.

I'd say contact several dealerships. Make sure to get the OTD (out the door) price. This includes the dealership add-ons such as freight/PDI, inspection, bear tax, A/C tax, etc. Doesn't hurt to let the dealership know that you're shopping around for the best price.

Once you pick a dealership you're comfortable with, you can discuss lowering the price. You can also discuss incentives (free oil changes, free battery tender, free riding gear, free tire rotation)

The question you have to ask yourself is, what is the bike worth to you?

Alright got it. Thanks joe

+1 Ask for Out-the-door price (taxes and all misc fees included). $4,500 for a brand new 2012 ninja can be tough, considering high demand and the dealerships are not particularly hurting to get them out the door.

However, you maybe able to get some savings with a brand new 2011 or even 2010 model (if there are still left overs) They are exactly the same as a new 2012 (same engine, same everything else), the only difference is the colour/decals. Not too long ago Kahuna was advertising a brand new 2011 ninja 250 for $4299 I think. If they stick with that price and absorb all the misc charges including plating, after tax you are looking at $4,857.87. It's worth a shot to negotiate them to round it down to anywhere between $4850 and $4,800. Again, the margin on the 250s is pretty slim, so there's little wiggle room.

If you do go with Kahuna, speak to Norm (guy with glasses and mustache). Honest guy with no pressure. I've bought 2 new bikes from him and he's fantastic.

Norm, I'll remember that name. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    I'd say contact several dealerships. Make sure to get the OTD (out the door) price. This includes the dealership add-ons such as freight/PDI, inspection, bear tax, A/C tax, etc. Doesn't hurt to let the dealership know that you're shopping around for the best price.

Once you pick a dealership you're comfortable with, you can discuss lowering the price. You can also discuss incentives (free oil changes, free battery tender, free riding gear, free tire rotation)

The question you have to ask yourself is, what is the bike worth to you?

A/C tax? on a bike?

Just be reasonable and don't expect the world for $5K.
    I sell cars for a living and people always negotiate, sometimes we're flexible, sometimes we're not.
    Mina

This might help: http://www.youmotorcycle.com/buy-a-n...ealership.html bargaining strategies at the dealer.

+1, this time a year everyone is looking, especially in the entry level segment. Sellers (dealer and private) are sharks this time of year and smell your fear. Your a new rider and because of that dealers have a hand up over the used "unknown" market. Its not evil, its just business. Buying in the fall/winter is better for pricing, people need to move toys. Your more likely to get a free service or two or something else thrown in than to get the price knocked down. Not saying they won't, just don't expect much on something worth $5k.

Something to think about, most people rash their first ride by going for a slide, hence why so many used beginner bikes on the market have rashes on them. Fear of the unknown is common, but getting someone with experience to look over a bike can open up your options. While the price from new doesn't come down that much in the used market, how upset are you going to be when you go for a slide and erase $1000 in value from your bike? As the addage goes theres only 2 types of riders: those who have crashed, and those who haven't crashed yet. Something to keep in mind, keep your options open.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Paisley View Post
    I'd suggest that you look at "Add-ons" as the kicker. If the MSRP is at $4,999, Don't expect them to drop it. Esp at this time of the year.
    Look for what they can offer you in addition to the Bike, i.e. Extended warranty through the dealer or perhaps some gear (Helmet, gloves.....)

Good luck! Don't ruin the experience by going in as you would buying from a private seller ("Well, I only have $4,500 on me in cash) type of approach.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.