2 STROKE SUPERMOTO Question

Thread: 2 STROKE SUPERMOTO Question

2 STROKE SUPERMOTO Question

How well would a 300 2stroke do on a moto track,does anyone race 2strokes at all ? And would a 2stroke need a slipper clutch,if there are any availiable.Or is it just a waste of time and just get a 4stroke?

Thanks
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

Re: 2 STROKE SUPERMOTO Question

How well a bike does on a track or anywhere depends on how it handles and its power and weight. Imho, two strokes are better than 4 strokes for racing because they are light as hell and go like snot. If you would be allowed to race with 4 stroke SM's I'd rock a killer bee any day. probably will accelerate way faster and corner way better.

Im actually trying to find out about the machanical side of racing a 2stroke,this bike does not have oil injection so im wondering if there could be a problem when constantly decelerating in the corners.

A 2 stroke does not need a slipped clutch as there is not enough engine braking (unlike a 4 stroke) hence no need for one.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckwr250 View Post
    How well would a 300 2stroke do on a moto track,does anyone race 2strokes at all ? And would a 2stroke need a slipper clutch,if there are any availiable.Or is it just a waste of time and just get a 4stroke?

Thanks

If you are running premix and not oil injection you should have no trouble as long as you use a good quality oil, and ensure that you are using manufacturer recommended levels to your premix. If you are going to be putting excessive load on the motor through racing you may want o up the amount of oil in your premix slightly.

Im actually trying to find out about the machanical side of racing a 2stroke,this bike does not have oil injection so im wondering if there could be a problem when constantly decelerating in the corners.

Shouldn't be any problem there that I know of should be ok as long as the gas is mixed with the oil correctly in the tank, but you probably will have to rebuilt the top end of the engine occasionally especially if you take full potential and use of its top end power band.
    One of my friends has a YZ250 and he rebuilds it almost every season and a half... pin it to win it, oh yes he does... whereas one of my friends has a yz125, rides it like a 6 year old girl and never revs it, hasn't rebuilt the engine within 2-3 years because it is perfectly fine still.

And yes no need for a slipper, downshift and all you will feel and hear is the engine rev, almost no deceleration. 2 strokes don't work off of back pressure like 4 strokes.
    Last edited by Ecookman; 04-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Most of the riders racing Supermoto for a couple years have a 4-stroke. Having said that we had a couple 2 strokes last year and those guys won't switch. They like the 2 stroke. 1 of the guys actually ride a KTM 300 (if thats still your ride) and he had some really good battles at the front in the sportman class with a CRF 450.

I say try it for a year and see if you like it. Then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecookman View Post
    How well a bike does on a track or anywhere depends on how it handles and its power and weight. Imho, two strokes are better than 4 strokes for racing because they are light as hell and go like snot. If you would be allowed to race with 4 stroke SM's I'd rock a killer bee any day. probably will accelerate way faster and corner way better.
    It will NOT outperform a 4 stroke in supermoto conditions.

The power delivery is not very well suited for this type of racing.

It's been proven over and over again that the 4 stroke is the superior setup for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    It will NOT outperform a 4 stroke in supermoto conditions.

The power delivery is not very well suited for this type of racing.

It's been proven over and over again that the 4 stroke is the superior setup for this application.
    I can adjust the powervalve for a smoother powerdelivery but it still wont have the torque a 4stroke has,I know that.I just want to know if its a waste of time or can it be done and still be competitive.Should I forget about it and look for a 4stroke.
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 04-13-2012 at 03:26 PM.

A 2 stroke will work perfectly fine for supermoto. I started racing supermoto with my ktm 250 exc. I had a ton of fun with my 2 stroke. It turned and stopped real quick since it was light. All I did was buy a set of 17" wheels, a 320mm front rotor & relcation bracket and the necessary tech stuff. As I progressed and got more into supermoto I moved up to a 450. The 450s have much more torque which is where the performace gain is.
    Since you already have your 300 I say you should just get it setup and give it a try. As a beginner you definetly will be competitive. You will get hooked on supermoto then you can decide later if you want to shell out for a 450... If you are planning to buy wheels for your ktm the good thing is that the same wheels for you bike with fit all the other ktm mx models. Thats what I did - got some wheels for my 250 then bought a 450 and swapped the supermoto parts over...
    Hit up http://www.supermotoontario.com for more info
    There is a dude in europe that races a husaberg 300 against the 450's and holds his own.
    New Supermoto Ontario Club http://www.supermotoontario.com
    My Personal Website http://www.jerrettbellamy.com

Thanks for all the help guys,much appreciated.Any more comments will be very helpfull to me,I guess I need to find some 17s now if any of you know where I can get some good used ones for KTM let me know please.

Thanks
    Fred

You dont have to get 17's to try supermoto. All you really have to do is swap out the knobby tires to a dual sport or street tire, catch cans and sliders. Try like that and if you want to pursue it then step up to the 17's
    Here's a video I did for the club a while ago outlining the process:

deleted
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 04-16-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Found this on supermoto junkie,its been done a few times already,I like the look.I guess i'll start thinking about getting that sxs head out that I have in the garage cabinet

Here's my '04 250:

Quote Originally Posted by jerrett View Post
    Here's my '04 250:
    Nice,did you get the wheels new or did you find a used set ?

Slipper clutch is something you would want to have eventually but isn't required in the beginning.

Gary Trachy recommends newer SM riders learn how to slip the clutch through clutch control before going to a SC setup.

^ From SUPERMOTO 357

Even when the throttle is shut, there is still a little bit of fuel (and therefore oil) going into the engine via the idle circuit in the carb. Furthermore, deceleration periods are normally only a few seconds at a time. If you are planning to coast down the side of a mountain for 5 miles in gear with the fuel shut off then maybe it's an issue, but not otherwise.