laser gun -> speeding

Thread: laser gun -> speeding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: laser gun -> speeding

First of all, we are talking laser here, not radar. There is a huge difference. Laser aims a very narrow beam that has to be aimed directly at a reflective surface of the vehicle being measured. Front license plate is ideal, headlight will also work. Radar has a comparatively wide beam that need not be aimed with precision, but it can capture a speed from anything that happens to be within that beam. The consequence of this is that laser has to be aimed with precision and ideally mounted on a secure platform such as a tripod, and radar need only be pointed in your general direction.

Using laser handheld is supposed to be a no-no, and aiming at another vehicle by bouncing the reflection off the mirror is certainly not in the instruction book.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    First of all, we are talking laser here, not radar. There is a huge difference. Laser aims a very narrow beam that has to be aimed directly at a reflective surface of the vehicle being measured. Front license plate is ideal, headlight will also work. Radar has a comparatively wide beam that need not be aimed with precision, but it can capture a speed from anything that happens to be within that beam. The consequence of this is that laser has to be aimed with precision and ideally mounted on a secure platform such as a tripod, and radar need only be pointed in your general direction.

Using laser handheld is supposed to be a no-no, and aiming at another vehicle by bouncing the reflection off the mirror is certainly not in the instruction book.

I see. Thanks. i will find out what he used first then. I ll get disclosure.

Using laser handheld is supposed to be a no-no
    Nowhere have I heard of it being a no-no, I have heard that it's more difficult to get a reading while hand-held though.

It's certainly not a 'no-no' to use the Laser hand-held. It's not too hard at all to pick off cars quickly as they are coming toward you.

http://copradar.com/index.html all u need to know about laser and radar if fighting ticket yourself, otherwise hire someone. opp well prepared on laser when come to court, local cops not so much or not all of them, ill say mostly traffic unit know their homework.

brave may die, weak never lived at all

The beam is narrow, but not as narrow as you think. LIDAR speed measuring devices have specifications for beam spread in their manuals, and the size of the beam at the distances TPS would use them would be measured in inches. I wish I could link an actual manual as an example, but I can't find anything. Have a cheesy website instead: http://www.quattro123.com/StalkerBeamPattern.htm
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."