$6400 Owner's Manual? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $6400 Owner's Manual?

Re: $6400 Owner's Manual?

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    sigh... Where do you guys get this garbage.

There is no HST on used items...
    its a value added tax.. understand that term.

The tax on used bikes is not HST. Its a different 13 % tax. (that is meant to emulate the HST's rate)
    PST was increased to 13% since introduction of HST, this is what we pay during a private sale.

I, like others in this thread, just agreed with the seller as to what we'd declare as the selling price (and typically, it was something ridiculous...not quite $1, but close to).

Been doing it for years.

No issues.

Ever.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by WebControl View Post
    PST was increased to 13% since introduction of HST, this is what we pay during a private sale.
    You are wrong.

You pay retail sales tax. thats not HST, nor is it PST.
    Again, its a different 13 % tax that is different from the HST.

its only HST if you purchase from a HST registrant, meaning a Dealership or a shop. otherwise its not HST.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

it's cause of **** like this that the rest of us will eventually get screwed...

they will eventually catch on and then everyone WILL be paying tax on a "Blue book value"

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    it's cause of **** like this that the rest of us will eventually get screwed...

they will eventually catch on and then everyone WILL be paying tax on a "Blue book value"
    There is no blue book value on bikes. That's the whole point.

Declare it for whatever you want. You don't have to make up stories, the MTO ladies don't give a ****. Throw out any letters you get in the mail.
    Last edited by N3WMAN; 04-12-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    You are wrong.

You pay retail sales tax. thats not HST, nor is it PST.
    Again, its a different 13 % tax that is different from the HST.

its only HST if you purchase from a HST registrant, meaning a Dealership or a shop. otherwise its not HST.
    It says you pay "Retail sales tax". If it's not HST or PST wtf is it? http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...d.shtml#retail

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

There is a blue book value for motorcycles, well red book anyway. When I brought my bike through CBP this week, the agent pulled out a red book to compare what I declared to what the value of the bike should be.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    There is a blue book value for motorcycles, well red book anyway. When I brought my bike through CBP this week, the agent pulled out a red book to compare what I declared to what the value of the bike should be.
    That's for import, not for private sale

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Did $1 last year.

If you guys think this is bad, you really need to see what accountants do LOL

I am going to buy a bike soon. My fear is that if the seller agrees to put something much lower on the bill of sale, they change their mind when they get that letter in the mail and then I'm done for!

Yup..paid 13 cent tax on my bike too.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

What does the owners manual have to do with it?

I once went to the MTO with a friend of mine; I was buying his bike. The lady that was processing our transaction thought we were nice guys and listed the price of the bike as $1.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by Xtina View Post
    What does the owners manual have to do with it?
    Because they only tax you on the vehicle. If the invoice listed separate charges for the bike and the manual, you'd only pay tax on the bike. So the bike is $1 and the manual is $6,399

You don't need to though, you can just put $1 for the bike and they accept it.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Tons of great info. Thanks guys. My question is though, when you declare a value of a motorcycle that you purchased does MTO always send that "letter" to ask the seller of the value of the bike or only in special circumstances like the $1 purchases?

No, it doesnt. But most of the times it does, but no biggie. Just let the seller/buyer know so in case they call him. I always go with 500$. You can say it was damaged badly bla bla. No wholesale value on bikes so why not take advantage of it.
    WINNING!

I go with the "Frame" price argument. They want us to register a frame's serial number and if damaged, can never be put back on the road. So if it's the frame they care about, then everything else is parts! Agree with the seller or purchaser on a price for the "Frame" and everything else is good.

I've had the letter thing from the ministry, but like an earlier post, it simply goes away.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

When I got my bike I said it cost 250 bucks. The lady looked at me and said 250 bucks this can't be legit. I said to her the bike is 02 and it's been crashed and abused. She was like o okay lol

i gave them a bill of sale for $1 for my gixxer, they dont care
    Target fixation is best defined as looking at something, then staring at it, then hitting it. Example. I target fixated on your mom last night, then i hit it.

If you buy a bike for a dollar and sell it two years later for $5000 do you have to pay capital gains?