Allegheny National Forest, PA

Thread: Allegheny National Forest, PA

Allegheny National Forest, PA

A few of us heading down May long weekend to the Allegheny National forest and surrounding area. Any recommendations on some great places to stay/camp?

Any input on roads would be much appreciated as well although we have a decent route via motorcycleroads.com

cheers,

Re: Allegheny National Forest, PA

also check http://www.motorcycleroads.us for roads
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

In the forest itself it's quite scenic but we found the roads marginal in terms of repair compared to some of the superb roads outside the forest proper.
    There is lots of fracking about so be aware of trucks and it stinks in many areas there.
    There are lots of PA threads on here and in my view better riding areas.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

I was on a KLR when I went through it last year, and it's no racetrack, but a wonderful area to tour through in the fall.

I'd do it again.

Sorry, we stayed overnight in Renovo at Yesterdays.

This is right by the forest area.....there is a Huge Dam / reservoir there...neat place to see...

Have a look to the southwest for route 666 PA. Booya said it was brilliant in another thread.

I have ridden this state from top to bottom east to west and my recomendation would be buy an old fashioned Rand and Mcnally road atlas. Must be a Rand and Mcnally, they are extremely accurate and will show what roads are twisty, interesting etc. Once south of NY you really don't have to worry about road conditions that much, so pick the most interesting paved roads for you and let it rip. Sometimes the old fashioned way isn't the sexiest but the most accurate. Get the atlas and put your feet up and spend sometime just relaxing and viewing the roads available. There is however one potential fly in the ointment, as a previous poster mentioned, there is a great deal of "fracking" in north central Penn. this leads to a lot of truck traffic sometimes in places you wouldn't expect it. As an example along Hwy #6 in the north central areas. usually you can avoid it but keep an eye open for it, but the real downer is that a lot of these "frackers" are from outside the state Texas,Oklahoma etc. and they stay in motels, so a lot of your typical Super 8 style motels may be full up with these guys, just phone ahead to confirm if there is any vacancy at a motel you might want to stay at. Typically there will be room, but just not as many available rooms because of these out of state "frackers". Have fun, I'll be down there a few times this year as well.

Try the white deer motel outside williamsport fairly cheap but as mentioned fracking boys are booking alot of motels so i would call ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Have a look to the southwest for route 666 PA. Booya said it was brilliant in another thread.
    The Devil you say!

666 is a cool road, if you don't mind poor road surface. It's really nice on my KTM.

While you are in the area, drop into the Kinzua area, ride Longhouse Scenic Drive. Very nice road.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    666 is a cool road, if you don't mind poor road surface. It's really nice on my KTM.

While you are in the area, drop into the Kinzua area, ride Longhouse Scenic Drive. Very nice road.

Road 666 last summer on a ss bike. Would do it anytime. Like this summer again.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

First time I did 666 was on an 05 GSXR 1000 in a rainstorm (Huriicane Ike actually).
    While riding normally, it was fine, but it wasn't a road you could go bonkers on, because the asphalt is in crappy shape, and many of the bad spots are on blind turns. However, last summer I rode it again, on the KTM< and I was much more comfortable riding at an "elevated pace" , lets say,LOL
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Are any of these roads doable for a long day trip? I don't mind doing a 900km day, but anything more then that is pushing it.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

I leave home at 8 am...in the USA by 9:30.
    80-90 mins to Ellicottville/Olean area. Another half hr puts you in the Kinzua Dam area. Ride any roads in any direction till 3-4pm......then head for home. You'll beback in the GTA by 10-11 pm ish, with 800-1100 kms under your belt.
    I have done this exact thing many times when I don't have more than a day to ride.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6

Folks... 666 is just ... umm, maybe ok. I went there a few years ago expecting the road to reveal the "devil's dirties!" I mean, route 666 in a bible thumping area of Pennsylvania. have you had a look at the names of the towns from 219 east to 15?

Anyway, I was extremely disappointed. Stayed in Tionesta on route 62 at the Eagle Rock (don't miss it - free use of their boats, canoes on the river - but not during weekends!! Sorry weekends are more expensive - but the place is *CHEAP*
    From route 62 to 666... (yawn) Finally 948 will get you to Ridgeway and then head south to 555!! (take 948 to 255 and then east on 555)

It's a much nicer road - road surface is excellent - gas stop at Benezette - or if you don't need gas - make sure you have some pie and ice cream!! Mmmmmmm. You can continue to 120 and chose to go north (Emporium - boring or south to Renovo)

Benezette is nothing to shrug at. Want to see some mating Elk? September and October in the evenings here. Great place to stay - a nice hotel (plain Jane - but good food - ELK Burgers!)

Anyway - summary - going through the park from Tionesta to Ridgeway - try Dutch Hill road before you get to 666.

You can ride these roads for a week and never be on the same road twice. Lots of rives and water - great toe dipping country - beware of black bears who think they have the rights to the rivers. (They do!)

And in August/September? Bears apparently have developed a taste for corn! (Who knew?)
    Last edited by mototrek; 04-13-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    I leave home at 8 am...in the USA by 9:30.
    80-90 mins to Ellicottville/Olean area. Another half hr puts you in the Kinzua Dam area. Ride any roads in any direction till 3-4pm......then head for home. You'll beback in the GTA by 10-11 pm ish, with 800-1100 kms under your belt.
    I have done this exact thing many times when I don't have more than a day to ride.
    Thanks for the info. So it's just south on 219 right into PA?
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

219's the easy way to PA...but it's not the way I go.

I prefer to ride for a minimum of a day, or I just don't ride. This often leaves my bike lonely in the garage for a month or two.......but if I am stuck riding roads here, I'd rather take the truck. I've been riding for 29 yrs, and can't be bothered "droning" along boring roads on my bike anymore......so I ride in PA often, I am now trying to find backroads that both add interest to the trip AND save time (safe spots for elevated pace riding, know what I mean?)
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6

Omni - if you want a riding partner for that kind of 1 or 2 nights trip into PA - I'm good -
    I like the non-standard routes and I'm pretty flexible on short notice - don't mind some "elevated pace" riding up to about 140 in good pavement twisties but also enjoy back country roads at tourist pace when the pavement or mood dictates.
    I like to photograph and see what I'm riding through and even the occasional dirt track is fine.
    43 years riding - can go my own way quite happily but also enjoy a riding partner.
    •••

OP - listen to Mototrek.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

LOL...that's actually right about where my limits lies too (140kmhish) Especially with the KTM (feels like I am gonna blow right off it)
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6

Oh hadn't realized - how much dirt are you doing on these rides???.....I've had so much fun here I'm seriously considering a dual sport but I do like my comfort as well and the KLR just hurts after a few hours.

Our best PA ride for thrills was racing the dusk and deer fear on a gorgeous stretch of smooth twistie. Damn brakes were just howling - much fun.
    I like the way the roads change elevation in PA - keeps you on your toes.
    Are you running street rubber or DS?