Allegheny National Forest, PA

Thread: Allegheny National Forest, PA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Allegheny National Forest, PA

Are any of these roads doable for a long day trip? I don't mind doing a 900km day, but anything more then that is pushing it.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

I leave home at 8 am...in the USA by 9:30.
    80-90 mins to Ellicottville/Olean area. Another half hr puts you in the Kinzua Dam area. Ride any roads in any direction till 3-4pm......then head for home. You'll beback in the GTA by 10-11 pm ish, with 800-1100 kms under your belt.
    I have done this exact thing many times when I don't have more than a day to ride.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    I leave home at 8 am...in the USA by 9:30.
    80-90 mins to Ellicottville/Olean area. Another half hr puts you in the Kinzua Dam area. Ride any roads in any direction till 3-4pm......then head for home. You'll beback in the GTA by 10-11 pm ish, with 800-1100 kms under your belt.
    I have done this exact thing many times when I don't have more than a day to ride.
    Thanks for the info. So it's just south on 219 right into PA?
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

219's the easy way to PA...but it's not the way I go.

I prefer to ride for a minimum of a day, or I just don't ride. This often leaves my bike lonely in the garage for a month or two.......but if I am stuck riding roads here, I'd rather take the truck. I've been riding for 29 yrs, and can't be bothered "droning" along boring roads on my bike anymore......so I ride in PA often, I am now trying to find backroads that both add interest to the trip AND save time (safe spots for elevated pace riding, know what I mean?)
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Omni - if you want a riding partner for that kind of 1 or 2 nights trip into PA - I'm good -
    I like the non-standard routes and I'm pretty flexible on short notice - don't mind some "elevated pace" riding up to about 140 in good pavement twisties but also enjoy back country roads at tourist pace when the pavement or mood dictates.
    I like to photograph and see what I'm riding through and even the occasional dirt track is fine.
    43 years riding - can go my own way quite happily but also enjoy a riding partner.
    •••

OP - listen to Mototrek.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

LOL...that's actually right about where my limits lies too (140kmhish) Especially with the KTM (feels like I am gonna blow right off it)
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6

Oh hadn't realized - how much dirt are you doing on these rides???.....I've had so much fun here I'm seriously considering a dual sport but I do like my comfort as well and the KLR just hurts after a few hours.

Our best PA ride for thrills was racing the dusk and deer fear on a gorgeous stretch of smooth twistie. Damn brakes were just howling - much fun.
    I like the way the roads change elevation in PA - keeps you on your toes.
    Are you running street rubber or DS?
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here