Picking up my first bike-need to show mechanic? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picking up my first bike-need to show mechanic?

Re: Picking up my first bike-need to show mechanic?

is it just me? or does the tail look tweeked toward the right side...

wouldn't happen to be this one, is it? Given the no mirrors, I was suspecting it was a track bike.
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ368780420
    the ad's showing carbonfibre yoshi pipes, and stated it's used for track so hoping that's integrated and not slip-on's. Hoping it's the same one you are looking at and those yoshi's go back on it.
    That's a first that I hear someone likes the sound of no exhaust on a zx6r, even stock pipes on it sounds cool, but to each of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ababab View Post
    I was thinking it may just be a wave off thing too. It's a Kawi zx6r (2005). I'm getting a fairly good deal but it was dropped and does have some very minor cosmetic damage. Due to the drop, it currently has no exhaust and that is something that I will have to install back on (seller will provide the exhaust, it just needs some parts (brackets?) to be fit back on). Also, there are no turning signals..but the seller will provide a tail light with integrated lights. That being said i'd have to install that too. Finally, no mirrors due to the fall but those he will replace prior to selling.

All in all, it is a good deal but i'm very new to motorcycles and don't know if I should follow through or stray..?

EDIT: I would really appreciate all the replies I can get with this. I need to verify my decision to purchase this bike but i'm not very confident at this point. It's my first bike purchase so you opinions will be greatly
    appreciated!

One last question! My insurance agent suggested I buy the bike under my father's name to reduce my payments, this should not raise any problems as long as my dad is on board correct? I'm just assuming he will have to be there at the ministry to transfer ownership over?
    Those bikes have an undertail exhaust. How do you drop it in such a way to damage the undertail exhaust?
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Mileage?
    ~35k

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    is it just me? or does the tail look tweeked toward the right side...
    No idea my man :S

Quote Originally Posted by EC2010 View Post
    wouldn't happen to be this one, is it? Given the no mirrors, I was suspecting it was a track bike.
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ368780420
    the ad's showing carbonfibre yoshi pipes, and stated it's used for track so hoping that's integrated and not slip-on's. Hoping it's the same one you are looking at and those yoshi's go back on it.
    That's a first that I hear someone likes the sound of no exhaust on a zx6r, even stock pipes on it sounds cool, but to each of their own.
    I've seen that ad, its not that one. This bike had a two brothers exhaust, he's giving it to me, just not installed.

Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    Those bikes have an undertail exhaust. How do you drop it in such a way to damage the undertail exhaust?
    :S I'm not sure, I think he said the right [bracket] broke, the bike was dropped on its right side.

All in all, it does not look bad yeah?

Stay away man...a good deal will come by again...35k plus everything else that you listed...I would not consider it..but then again I dont know much about bikes so when I was buying i was looking for something that I could just register and ride...

My guess is that its a former track bike

Is any of the plastic damaged
    If not then i would say for sure its a track bike. Some guys take the original fairings off and race their bikes and when its all said and done for the bike then they put the fairings back on to sell

So this is what you're ending up with? Not the best starter bike my friend... I've been riding it for 3 years and I still don't think I've mastered it.

Personally, I'd stay away, it sounds too sketchy, too many problems. 35k on an unmaintained bike (which it looks like) is not good. Unless you're paying about $1500 which i'm sure you're not, dont bother with this bike... The seller sounds like a professional business man and probably convinced you that it's amazing but really there are most likely a lot better deals out there.

Don't forget, this is your first bike. As you said before, you've never worked on a bike, and you don't want to make a mistake while fixing this bike. One loose bolt, one screw missing in the wrong place and it could be a catastrophe (trust me i know from experience).

If it was me, I would go down to the u.s and buy an 08 or 09 for about $3500 without all the problems and half the km's but than again, we're both have two completely different mindsets.

Looks pretty. Hard to tell how hard it was dropped but doesn't look like it was too hard or too fast.

It's always hard to tell how bad it is without riding it or seeing it in person. There's always a story.

Quote Originally Posted by cbcanada View Post
    My guess is that its a former track bike

Is any of the plastic damaged
    If not then i would say for sure its a track bike. Some guys take the original fairings off and race their bikes and when its all said and done for the bike then they put the fairings back on to sell
    There's the minor damage from the drop so yes. I dont think it's a track bike.

Quote Originally Posted by oren102 View Post
    So this is what you're ending up with? Not the best starter bike my friend... I've been riding it for 3 years and I still don't think I've mastered it.

Personally, I'd stay away, it sounds too sketchy, too many problems. 35k on an unmaintained bike (which it looks like) is not good. Unless you're paying about $1500 which i'm sure you're not, dont bother with this bike... The seller sounds like a professional business man and probably convinced you that it's amazing but really there are most likely a lot better deals out there.

Don't forget, this is your first bike. As you said before, you've never worked on a bike, and you don't want to make a mistake while fixing this bike. One loose bolt, one screw missing in the wrong place and it could be a catastrophe (trust me i know from experience).

If it was me, I would go down to the u.s and buy an 08 or 09 for about $3500 without all the problems and half the km's but than again, we're both have two completely different mindsets.
    I'm definitely not buying a 250cc, i know this is a heavy bike but its a good deal and my insurance quote (1 way mind you) is 210/month.
    I wouldn't be able to go to the States to get one, if not this then its the Yamaha R6.

Quote Originally Posted by autodocjr View Post
    Looks pretty. Hard to tell how hard it was dropped but doesn't look like it was too hard or too fast.
    The damage is minor for sure. It's not beat up by any means.

Well, if you can get to see with mechanic this Sat - go for it. You don't think it was track bike but I would double check.
    Overall - sounds sketchy, I would stay away.
    And it is your choice not to buy 250 but did you look at alternatives (ie first bike friendly models like sv650, etc)?
    mu buddy picked up mint 2002 sv650 last year with yosh, full fairings, maintenances, etc for around 2500.

Well, if you can get to see with mechanic this Sat - go for it. You don't think it was track bike but I would double check.
    Overall - sounds sketchy, I would stay away.
    And it is your choice not to buy 250 but did you look at alternatives (ie first bike friendly models like sv650, etc)?
    mu buddy picked up mint 2002 sv650 last year with yosh, full fairings, maintenances, etc for around 2500.
    He has a big thread dedicated to a bunch of us trying showing him alternatives.

Previous gen but look at the condition and price is OK for spring - http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ369554516

Quote Originally Posted by oren102 View Post
    He has a big thread dedicated to a bunch of us trying showing him alternatives.
    Oh, I see - nevermind then.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Personally, with every vehicle, I take it to a mechanic that the other person doesn't know. Usually I don't either since I will travel all over southern Ontario to find a vehicle so I just pick a random mechanic. Even if they have their own check it you never know what the seller or their mechanic is hiding from you. I'm glad I have because literally EVERY time I check out a vehicle where someone has said they just had it checked over by their mechanic and it is mint, it wasn't. Usually the repairs it either needs or will soon need were more than what the car was selling for.

The worst ones were the ones at used car dealerships that had their own internal shop. That's probably obvious though. Most used car dealers/salesmen are scum.

Also, what one mechanic might see as an issue, another one won't so multiple opinions are good.
    Last edited by unL33T; 04-12-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Oh, I see - nevermind then.

Yes, I've looked into all of the suggested bikes, the only one I liked was the Honda CBR600. Unfortunately I can't find a good deal on one currently. I've said it before and I'll say it again, what's the point of buying a bike if you are not at all interested in it's appearance? It sometimes seems like everyone is encouraging me to pick a noob friendly bike over a bike I actually like.

Just my .02, but thanks for your help

If I didn't know what I was doing, there is no way in hell I would buy a bike that had a cert with rosey toes name on it

I love these threads where someone asks experienced peoples opinions then ignores the advice and makes excuses in every reply. UGH

Quote Originally Posted by ababab View Post
    Yes, I've looked into all of the suggested bikes, the only one I liked was the Honda CBR600. Unfortunately I can't find a good deal on one currently. I've said it before and I'll say it again, what's the point of buying a bike if you are not at all interested in it's appearance? It sometimes seems like everyone is encouraging me to pick a noob friendly bike over a bike I actually like.

Just my .02, but thanks for your help
    We just hate hearing about people getting hurt because of lack of experience. You seem like a nice responsible kid and we all feel like we have a moral obligation to inform you of what could happen (and statistically does happen).

And not the RR version of the cbr, the F4i version, BIG difference (for me at least). Cbr's are notorious for being overpriced.