Picking up my first bike-need to show mechanic?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up my first bike-need to show mechanic?

Picking up my first bike-need to show mechanic?

Hey guys, I'm buying my first bike of off a private sale. The owner is going to have Ted from Rosey Toes come and certify the bike (he has a good relationship with Ted). I don't have much knowledge on motorcycles, should I be showing the bike to somebody other than Ted as well to ensure that I am not investing in a bike which will give me trouble down the road? I don't have any prior experience with this so your help would be much appreciated.

I did start the bike and watch the owner ride it, didn't seem to have any problems :S Maybe I'm just over-concerned?

PS I've yet to review the UVIP but will have a good read when I get the oppurtunity (I won't pay until I do of course).

Re: Picking up my first bike-need to show mechanic?

It's never a bad idea to have a used vehicle checked out by an independent mechanic. If the seller is buds with Ted then you may just be getting a hand-wave certification (the kid that bought my old car claims he has a buddy who will certify for him).

That said, the bike might be just fine despite this. There's always a crap-shoot element to buying a used vehicle. I'd at least take a friend along who is knowledgeable about bikes to have a look and get his opinion. For me, my level of precaution is proportional to the amount I'm spending. Which bike?

I was thinking it may just be a wave off thing too. It's a Kawi zx6r (2005). I'm getting a fairly good deal but it was dropped and does have some very minor cosmetic damage. Due to the drop, it currently has no exhaust and that is something that I will have to install back on (seller will provide the exhaust, it just needs some parts (brackets?) to be fit back on). Also, there are no turning signals..but the seller will provide a tail light with integrated lights. That being said i'd have to install that too. Finally, no mirrors due to the fall but those he will replace prior to selling.

All in all, it is a good deal but i'm very new to motorcycles and don't know if I should follow through or stray..?

EDIT: I would really appreciate all the replies I can get with this. I need to verify my decision to purchase this bike but i'm not very confident at this point. It's my first bike purchase so you opinions will be greatly
    appreciated!

One last question! My insurance agent suggested I buy the bike under my father's name to reduce my payments, this should not raise any problems as long as my dad is on board correct? I'm just assuming he will have to be there at the ministry to transfer ownership over?
    Last edited by ababab; 04-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.

If you want my honest opinion, stay away from that one. No exhaust, no turning signals, no mirrors? As far as I know that bike cannot be certified until all this has been re attached, and who knows what further damage had been done to the bike, maybe more than a simple fall? There are so many bikes out there, just wait a little, another good deal will surely come along.
    Carpe Diem!
    2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD (sold)
    2010 V Star 1100 Silverado

I wouldn't consider that minor damage. If the owner has the parts, why wouldn't he just install them and get a better price? Be careful, there may be more damage you know of. Put any bike in your name and get insurance history, down the road it will save you money.

For anyone buying a new bike, note that a safety certificate only covers certain aspects of the bike are in working order i.e. signals, levers, tires etc... Witnessed someone buying a bike certified but the bike couldn't shift passed second (some kind of 'fork' in the transmission was busted and buying a new engine would be cheaper than fixing it) Needless to say the guy was extremely disappointed...

agreed with MotoBini and YYZ. I wouldn't consider those as minor damages as well. If it's easily fixed, get the seller to install all those items and view the bike again.

Safety certification pretty much makes sure the bike starts, all lights working (turn signals and brake lights), and tires. It's not a once over like some assumed it is.... the certifier won't be taking the bike apart and inspect everything.

If it's me, I'd stay away from this bike as well.

+1 - putting exhaust and other small things back on the bike is very easy and should not take time at all.
    Even if seller is missing brackets - he could've pick them up from salvage or order via dealer.
    Unless u get it thoroughly checked and getting absolutely smoking deal - I'd stay away.
    and not to discourage you from your choice - u mentioned u r new to bikes, did u at least test ride zx6r or similar bike to make sure it will suit you as first machine?

Quote Originally Posted by ababab View Post
    I was thinking it may just be a wave off thing too. It's a Kawi zx6r (2005). I'm getting a fairly good deal but it was dropped and does have some very minor cosmetic damage. Due to the drop, it currently has no exhaust and that is something that I will have to install back on (seller will provide the exhaust, it just needs some parts (brackets?) to be fit back on). Also, there are no turning signals..but the seller will provide a tail light with integrated lights. That being said i'd have to install that too. Finally, no mirrors due to the fall but those he will replace prior to selling.

All in all, it is a good deal but i'm very new to motorcycles and don't know if I should follow through or stray..?

EDIT: I would really appreciate all the replies I can get with this. I need to verify my decision to purchase this bike but i'm not very confident at this point. It's my first bike purchase so you opinions will be greatly
    appreciated!

One last question! My insurance agent suggested I buy the bike under my father's name to reduce my payments, this should not raise any problems as long as my dad is on board correct? I'm just assuming he will have to be there at the ministry to transfer ownership over?
    There are plenty of nice bikes out there that are not trashed. Be patient, be picky, and keep shopping.

Needs the mirrors and signals to certify. So the mechanic writing the safety shouldn't sign the paper unroll those things are done.

Thanks for everyone's input. This is a good point, I'll bring it up with the seller. Ted should not be certifying it without it having turning signals anyhow. I'll ask to see the bike again on Saturday with the following fixed:

-Mirrors (he has agreed to this)
    -Integrated tail light (to pass the safety)

Tires are new, so really the only other concern is the exhaust which he mentioned he hasnt put back on bc he likes the sound produced without an exhaust. I'm wondering, can the bike even pass a safety without having an exhaust attached??

If he hesitates with any of this I'll back away for sure. It truly is a good deal and that's why i'm still interested.

If I manage to get him to agree and view the bike on Saturday, would anyone be willing to come with and evaluate the bike? Location is Scarborough/Pickering?

IMO, I'd stay clear.
    Just curious, how much is he asking?

I was hesitant to test ride it, I'm going to be more of a weekend rider, just for occasional short sunday rides or so. I sat on, feels comfortable but I know that doesn't say much. The deal is very good, let me see if I can get some photos I took up..

Pics coming
    Last edited by ababab; 04-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Let's see if this works

As you can see, im sure the positioning of the license plate is not appropriate. I'm guessing it's been relocated there after the drop? I'll have to ask him if there is a more suitable positioning for it so that it can be more visible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo(1).JPG   photo(2).JPG  
    Last edited by ababab; 04-12-2012 at 10:19 AM.

more..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1288na9_19.jpg   4659kgl_19.jpg   8052ija_14.jpeg  

I could be interested in going with you. Plus I'm a licensed mechanic and done a lot of bike safety's myself.

It can be passed without an exhaust. If it was loosely attached or in concern of falling off it would fail

Quote Originally Posted by autodocjr View Post
    I could be interested in going with you. Plus I'm a licensed mechanic and done a lot of bike safety's myself.
    PM'd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ababab View Post
    Pics coming
    Mileage?