West Virginia - US 50 or 55? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Virginia - US 50 or 55?

Re: West Virginia - US 50 or 55?

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    The town of Elkins is a nice base from which to explore the area. It is at the corner of 219 and 33. I stayed at the Super 8 there. I believe it cost me aproximately $65.00 with a free breakfast. From there you are with in range of places like Snow Shoe Mountain, Spruce Knob, the Caverns, Seneca Rocks, Germany Valley,The Highland Scenic Highway, Marlinton etc. They have a lot of biker rallies in Marlinton so I would book a head. If you do stay in Marlinton, I understand the owners of The Old Clark Inn make their guests feel like family. Their prices are around the $55.00 if not less (got to love southern prices).

http://www.oldclarkinn.com/motorcy.html
    Carmen, this is perfect...following your tread marks. Thank you much!
    Excellent feed back from every one.

Hope this link works. Great route indicator.
    http://wvcommerce.org/travel/thingst....aspx#mountain
    Last edited by Pearlzzzzz!; 04-30-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    ...with Glowing Hearts
    2006 Hornet 599 aka Honda CB600

I've done the Canaan Valley and Mountain and Streams rides. I am sure you'll enjoy them. I haven't done the other rides, but I've book marked your link for future reference. Be sure to ride up to the top of Spruce Knob when you're in the Seneca Rocks area. It's not to be missed. The highlights of my last two trips to WV were riding through Germany Valley and the twisty climb up to Spruce Knob.
    Last edited by Carmen; 05-03-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    The highlights of my last two trips to WV were riding through Germany Valley and the twisty climb up to Spruce Knob.
    Carmen, did you take Forrest Road 112 up and down to the peak? Would you say there is any significant difference between West or East side of the approach (pavement and 'turn' quality)?

Planning a May 24 weekend trip (3.5 days) trying to decide whether to come up from 250 or down from 55...

Quote Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
    Carmen, did you take Forrest Road 112 up and down to the peak? Would you say there is any significant difference between West or East side of the approach (pavement and 'turn' quality)?

Planning a May 24 weekend trip (3.5 days) trying to decide whether to come up from 250 or down from 55...
    Yes I took 112 to the peak of Spruce Knob. It is also called Brier Gap Road. It runs off 28/33 between Riverton and 33. The road was very twisty and well paved as far as I can remember. The climb takes around 30 minutes because it rides along a ridge (similar to BRP) before it begins its final climb. Once you arrive at the summit parking lot your view will be blocked by a heavy canopy of trees. There is a path to a viewing tower 900 feet away which will give you great 360 views. I highly recommend you ride 220 from Franklin to 33 to Germany Valley. It is 30 minutes of a twisty roller coaster with steep elevation changes and beautiful vistas. I suggest you stop in at the Information Center at Seneca Rocks. They're the ones that gave me a map to the summit.

I suggest you go east on 250 at 219 junction. Then turn north at 220. At Franklin, turn left (west) at 33. This takes you through Germany Valley. Make a right turn at 28/33. The road to Spruce Knob is less than 30 minutes away. After climbing the summit, descend the same way to 28/33(left turn) and head toward Seneca Rocks. From here, turn left on 55/33 toward Elkins. This stretch of road is very mountainous. Harmon in particular had some nice peaks. From Elkins you can go home via 219 or 79, or keep exploring.

Btw, the approach to the summit I took was from the east (off 28/33). I could have descended down the west side, but this route would have by-passed Seneca Rocks and part of 55. I wanted to see it all.
    Last edited by Carmen; 05-06-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Aurora