West Virginia - US 50 or 55?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Virginia - US 50 or 55?

West Virginia - US 50 or 55?

Starting to plan this year's WV trip, and have a conundrum.... while going across WV (East-West) take US 55 or 50?

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/wv_potomac.html shows US 55 as the 'twistier' route, but comments seem to be better under the US 50 route... also http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...a-Riding-Roads shows a pretty awesome stretch of US 50 that looks oh sooo tempting...

Any and all input from seasoned WV riders is welcome (esp regarding any other good road stretched in WV).

PS: Currently the overall route is shaping out to be: Friday mid-day sprint into Renovo via Buffalo (to hitting 44 down), Saturday down and across WV, (hopefully into Ohio ending up just West of Pitsburgh) and Sunday back to civilization (Canada) up i79 getting off to run though West side of though Alegheny National Forrest and to the border.

Input welcome.

Re: West Virginia - US 50 or 55?

Both those are good but the 250 is much, much, much better .
    Let me know when you plan on going, I may just join you.
    Also take the 15/220 down, much nicer route.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

I took 220 south off of I-68 up to Franklin WV, at which point I took 33 (the prettiest road in the state) through Germany Valley, Seneca Rocks, and Spruce Mountain (WV highest at 4800 ft). 33 will take your breath away. You can ride 33 back to Elkins at the 219 junction.
    Aurora

Thanks all for the feedback, to clarify, the group is looking for the TWISTIEST roads... Scenic is a secondary consideration...

Thanks again and keep them coming

33 is a nice road and so is #16 from Tazewell.

In my opinion, and I have ridden all over this state, just buy yourself a Rand and Mcnally (must be Rand and Mcnally) Road Atlas for North America. Now spend some time studying the map for West Virginia, pick out what look like twisty, paved roads and plan a route. These road atlas are extremely accurate and show virtually every paved road in the state. I know it is a little old fashioned but GPS's just aren't as accurate for this kind application, at least that's my experience so far. Most paved roads in WV will have good to excellent surfaces compared to Ont. so you really don't have to worry about that too much. The people are extremely friendly and the roads great, have fun, just buy the road atlas and don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback, to clarify, the group is looking for the TWISTIEST roads... Scenic is a secondary consideration...

Thanks again and keep them coming
    There are no straight roads in WV. Now take off and discover. It's all good.
    Last edited by Carmen; 04-13-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Aurora

As an experienced adventurer who specialized in a continent's worth of EXACTLY what you want for your trip, I strongly suggest the following:

1) If you're a Garmin user, Mapsource is your friend
    2) Use Google Maps liberally!

Study the roads, take a look at the bendy parts' street views, etc. I used Garmin's Mapsource first, and verified with Google Maps, and with these, it's ultra easy to find the best roads in any given area, and verify that they are indeed ridable.

Google updates street view in a specific location every 1-3 years, depending on its population and popularity, so some of these roads may be in better condition than they show (such as dirt roads being paved, which is rare, but it happens -- and rarely do paved roads turn into dirt roads, in fact I've never seen that happen with my resources).

If you're using Garmin's Mapsource, stick to 5 km zoom ranges, so you can see all the good roads. At 1.5 km resolution, you'll find extremely narrow roads which SEEM fun, but when you get there they're too narrow, usually 1.5 car widths wide, no center lane, dangerous to ride quickly on, as visibility is too poor and oncoming traffic is unpredictable. California Highway 36 is one such example of extreme awesomeness.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

7 (the mason dixon hwy)
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by FJgeezer View Post
    In my opinion, and I have ridden all over this state, just buy yourself a Rand and Mcnally (must be Rand and Mcnally) Road Atlas for North America. Now spend some time studying the map for West Virginia, pick out what look like twisty, paved roads and plan a route These road atlas are extremely accurate...
    You may be right, but guess what? All those idiots in their 18 wheelers who get stuck on US 129 claim they were following Rand McNally.

http://maps.randmcnally.com/

LOL!
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

I must be too old, I don't understand what your point is. Yes lots of trucks ignore all the signs warning of the perils of US 129, all from the Tenn. side. Been there many,many times, in fact just 2 weeks ago. What that has to do with checking out roads in West Virginia eludes me. If the original poster is happier getting info from a screen image fine, it's a free country, however in my geriatric experience there are enough significant errors in GPS files that,at least for me, I find the actual paper copy of the road atlas works just fine. The point I was trying to make was that all road atlas are not created equal, and in my experience the Rand and Mcnally is the most accurate for roads in the US. And believe me I have spent a lot of time down there. Last year I returned home from the Moto GP at Indy via Kentucky, West Virginia etc. all back roads, all from the road atlas, all twisty, all great. Just because it doesn't have a screen and a battery doesn't mean it doesn't work. Finally I would suspect that any 18 wheeler on the road these days uses GPS to navigate not an old fashioned road atlas.

So back on topic of actual roads.... ...i'm starting to wonder if with all that WV has to offer, I should completely forgo bothering with hooking east to Renovo (in an attempt to rip through 144/44 while on the way South), bite the bullet and just book it straight down i90/79(?) all the way to Ohio or WV on the first eve (we are leaving Toronto on friday noon).

Originally I was trying to avoid a FULL DAY of 'destination riding', void of any twisties, but based on responses and research it seems that sacrificing a day there/back for a full day in WV may be the best option.

Opinions welcome...

PS: to the posters suggesting maps/GPS/etc tools - thank you, but while well aware of all these tools (and having looked at them already) I was trying to gather real-world feedback on the routes to 'editorialize' the routes that looked good on the maps. I prefer to have a solid plan/route mapped out prior to heading out to avoid time-wasting roadside stops to survey/discuss available routes... the last time i let this 'map envy' to deviate me of the pre-planned course we wound up discovering that "Right Hand Young Woman's Creek road" North of Renovo, although looking mighty sweet on the map, turned out to be more of a dual-sport playground, than a knee-dragger... amusing moments ensued trying to get an r6 and my f800 un-stuck from the mud and pot-holes....
    Last edited by gqelements; 04-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
    So back on topic of actual roads.... ...i'm starting to wonder if with all that WV has to offer, I should completely forgo bothering with hooking east to Renovo (in an attempt to rip through 144/44 while on the way South), bite the bullet and just book it straight down i90/79(?) all the way to Ohio or WV on the first eve (we are leaving Toronto on friday noon).

Originally I was trying to avoid a FULL DAY of 'destination riding', void of any twisties, but based on responses and research it seems that sacrificing a day there/back for a full day in WV may be the best option.

Opinions welcome...

PS: to the posters suggesting maps/GPS/etc tools - thank you, but while well aware of all these tools (and having looked at them already) I was trying to gather real-world feedback on the routes to 'editorialize' the routes that looked good on the maps. I prefer to have a solid plan/route mapped out prior to heading out to avoid time-wasting roadside stops to survey/discuss available routes... the last time i let this 'map envy' to deviate me of the pre-planned course we wound up discovering that "Right Hand Young Woman's Creek road" North of Renovo, although looking mighty sweet on the map, turned out to be more of a dual-sport playground, than a knee-dragger... amusing moments ensued trying to get an r6 and my f800 un-stuck from the mud and pot-holes....

I went to WV twice last year, second time I took the i90/i79. Left at 6am, didn't hit traffic until the pittsburg area. Made it into WV in six hours or so with a few stops in there. Had all afternoon and evening for riding the twisties...

I would definitely do it again, sure beats riding behind slow moving vehicles on the 219 or other roads.

Here's a cool link for you West Virginia lovers:

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/rid...nty-91273.html
    Aurora

When riding WV, I never stop n NY and PA. I can do NY and PA on any weekend.

WV is only 5 hrs from my house if traffic is good. If I leave home late afternoon, I make Mt Morris WV by dark (summertime) to set up camp. The campground in 2 minutes off of I79
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I think keeping the focus on WV and not PA or NY is going to result in the best trip experience. You'll be sidetracking all over the place (on slower secondaries) by the sounds of things and creating too long a day on your 'out' day. On the second and third day you'll pay by being over-tired in my estimation. Pacing a trip is an important factor in how enjoyable the final day is/will be.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    When riding WV, I never stop n NY and PA. I can do NY and PA on any weekend.

WV is only 5 hrs from my house if traffic is good. If I leave home late afternoon, I make Mt Morris WV by dark (summertime) to set up camp. The campground in 2 minutes off of I79
    I have taken the 219 route and it just takes too long. I'll be blasting down 79 also on my next trip to WV. Some times the super slab is a necessary evil.
    Aurora

Can anyone suggest accommodations other than camping?
    ...with Glowing Hearts
    2006 Hornet 599 aka Honda CB600

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlzzzzz! View Post
    Can anyone suggest accommodations other than camping?
    The town of Elkins is a nice base from which to explore the area. It is at the corner of 219 and 33. I stayed at the Super 8 there. I believe it cost me aproximately $65.00 with a free breakfast. From there you are with in range of places like Snow Shoe Mountain, Spruce Knob, the Caverns, Seneca Rocks, Germany Valley,The Highland Scenic Highway, Marlinton etc. They have a lot of biker rallies in Marlinton so I would book a head. If you do stay in Marlinton, I understand the owners of The Old Clark Inn make their guests feel like family. Their prices are around the $55.00 if not less (got to love southern prices).

http://www.oldclarkinn.com/motorcy.html
    Last edited by Carmen; 04-26-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Aurora

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    The town of Elkins is a nice base from which to explore the area. It is at the corner of 219 and 33. I stayed at the Super 8 there. I believe it cost me aproximately $65.00 with a free breakfast. From there you are with in range of places like Snow Shoe Mountain, Spruce Knob, the Caverns, Seneca Rocks, Germany Valley,The Highland Scenic Highway, Marlinton etc. They have a lot of biker rallies in Marlinton so I would book a head. If you do stay in Marlinton, I understand the owners of The Old Clark Inn make their guests feel like family. Their prices are around the $55.00 if not less (got to love southern prices).

http://www.oldclarkinn.com/motorcy.html

Sounds nice. Just might be checking in to one of these. So much to see south of us!
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.