Bill 45 - An Auto Insurance Amendment Act - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill 45 - An Auto Insurance Amendment Act

Re: Bill 45 - An Auto Insurance Amendment Act

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Barrie is definitely a MUCH lower risk than Brampton, and probably a lot lower than any part of Toronto. I'm sure that Barrie would be on the losing end of the deal if such a bill were to pass. I don't have my numbers on me to check.
    I moved from London to Toronto in 2007 and Toronto to Barrie in 2008. Based on my experience (no changes in policy or my indicators except for postal code) and only a car.

London = $X
    Toronto = ~$2X
    Barrie = ~$1.75X

Only saw a minimal drop in rates when I moved to Barrie.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymurr View Post
    I moved from London to Toronto in 2007 and Toronto to Barrie in 2008. Based on my experience (no changes in policy or my indicators except for postal code) and only a car.

London = $X
    Toronto = ~$2X
    Barrie = ~$1.75X

Only saw a minimal drop in rates when I moved to Barrie.
    Different areas of Toronto can have very different rates. What area of Toronto was this? What company (since the territorial relativities also vary by company)?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Different areas of Toronto can have very different rates. What area of Toronto was this? What company (since the territorial relativities also vary by company)?
    Forest Hill
    Scottish and York

Someone like Platinum_Cycle could better explain the reasons why Brampton claims (severity and/or frequency) are much higher than the rest of the province.[/QUOTE]

Yikes, I don't even want to touch that one with a ten foot pole here, I can only imagine how much people would jump down my throat.

Let's leave it at this, there are more accidents in Brampton than in other areas with similar populations. And, when it comes time to settle those claims they cost more than claims which occur in other areas. And no, they don't cost more because everyone in Brampton drives very expensive cars that cost a lot to repair / replace. There are other factors driving up the claims costs.

Again, lots of accidents, that cost a lot to settle = high premiums in Brampton.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I see no reason why regions of the province who have lower accident rates should subsidize the insurance of regions that have much higher rates.
    One reason is that the higher rate areas have more voters. You didn't say fair reason.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    One reason is that the higher rate areas have more voters. You didn't say fair reason.
    haha no good reason then, you knew what I meant.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.