Anyone ride through rain storms? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ride through rain storms?

Re: Anyone ride through rain storms?

I've had a lot of experience riding in heavy rain. Visibility is my biggest concern - both being seen and seeing. No good solutions to either one. Extra caution is obviously called for.

One comment about waiting under bridges for the rain to clear is to be aware that is about the most dangerous place you can be. Every year cars and transport trucks kill a number of riders under bridges waiting out the rain. You need to be WELL off the roadway to be safe. I often see unprepared riders sitting just off the road under bridges merrily waiting out the storm with no inkling of how close they are to death.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Be smooth and relax. Sometimes even tell yourself out loud in your helmet to "Be smooth and relax." This may help.

I have ridden in rain so heavy on single lane highways such as in New Brunswick, that I could not see the shoulder of the road. Pick where the driest line is within your lane and enjoy.

I have never had Dunlop RoadSmarts slip on the highway or in town in 60,000 kms.. 80, 100, 110, 120 kph on single lane hwy's no problem enjoying the curves.

Proper suspension setup and tire pressures is important. Keep extra safety distances and relax.

If you get tense then flap your elbows or wiggle your hips/waist and you will gain confidence as you duscover that you will not fall down by simply moving. Again relax your grip....

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I've had a lot of experience riding in heavy rain. Visibility is my biggest concern - both being seen and seeing. No good solutions to either one. Extra caution is obviously called for.

One comment about waiting under bridges for the rain to clear is to be aware that is about the most dangerous place you can be. Every year cars and transport trucks kill a number of riders under bridges waiting out the rain. You need to be WELL off the roadway to be safe. I often see unprepared riders sitting just off the road under bridges merrily waiting out the storm with no inkling of how close they are to death.
    As I was reading thru the thread, I was waiting for this ^^^

Not only under the bridges, but anywhere even on the shoulder is just as dangerous.

To keep other motorists aware of your location on the road, signalling constantly or 4ways can help during riding.

edit: Since I ride a 250, my input may as well not be, but I find those light rains much more dangerous than storming days in terms of traction. So, traction is not the top concern during the storms. Seeing and being seen is the key as Griffin said.
    Last edited by whetaus-tr; 04-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    Protip: after about 140kmh, the visor wipes itself
    ..unless there are a set of trucks, SUVs, cars etc. spitting ahead of you. Then it becomes like having a helmet on and trying swimming in blurry waters.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    As I was reading thru the thread, I was waiting for this ^^^

Not only under the bridges, but anywhere even on the shoulder is just as dangerous.

To keep other motorists aware of your location on the road, signalling constantly or 4ways can help during riding.

edit: Since I ride a 250, my input may as well not be, but I find those light rains much more dangerous than storming days in terms of traction. So, traction is not the top concern during the storms. Seeing and being seen is the key as Griffin said.
    Dunno dude. I ride through light rain all the time. But if I see 5mm or more of rain incoming the next day, I usually just put the bike away. I got 5 exams next week and it's raining all week so.....the way I see it:

Pay 10 bux a day to study on the bus and bore myself to death.
    Ride through the rain, and incase of an accident, I get exempt from all exams (unless I'm dead of course).

I like #2 <______<

I have before, most recently last month going to a dentist appointment at Downsview. Forecast was calling for 1mm so I thought nothing of it. Riding north on black creek to the 400 I got poured on all the way to steeles.

In those situations, I keep calm and try to get away from traffic or get under a bridge until the cloud passes.
    Current: '04 Suzuki SV650n
    '06 Honda CBR F4i
    '06 Suzuki GS500F: Gone but not forgotten

I rode through hail. I didn't think much of it. Then it started to pour rain and I was ******!

Ive been caught in downpour/thuderstorm many times especially while on highways, with really low visibility..plus the tinted visor didnt help at all. However, Ive always made it through....Lots of good advices on this thread..use it!

Just remember try not to ride immediately after it rains..avoid if you can...if you get caught into it while riding..then its a different story. Let the roads wash up a bit and then go for it. This is what I was always told because oil tends to run around on the roads right after it rains. It makes sense doesnt it?

While riding in a downpour, tilt your head to the right and left while looking forward and the wind will wipe the water off of your visor.

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    : Since I ride a 250, my input may as well not be, but I find those light rains much more dangerous than storming days in terms of traction. So, traction is not the top concern during the storms. Seeing and being seen is the key as Griffin said.
    Agree on you there. It can be very slick with just a little moisture.. this morning for one was an example. With a hard rainfall, oil, grease and other crap can get washed off the road.

That's a good tip...if you can wait 5-10 minutes at the start of a rain shower, than do it. Give the rain a chance to wash the road clean.
    New to me for 2012.

There's a great app called Canada Radar that gives you real time storm tracking on your phone. I've found it very useful.

I've been caught in many.
    Last year I was at CNE when that 'Tornado warning' was sent out.

Rain, thunder, lightning, massive winds, it was horrible. I ended up stopping at a gas station because at one point it almost knocked me off the bike even when I had the windshield on.

I rode yesterday morning and it started to rain about 2PM when it was called for at 5PM. I didn't want to take the risk and put the bike home. Rain + 10degrees = cold.
    I don't mind riding in the rain, it's just cold at 10 degrees with rain.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Tornado related or downbursts or severe thunderstorm cells should be avoided and generally these are brief - find shelter ( underpass is good mainly to block the wind ).

Steady rain likely won't pass quickly so it's a learned skill including getting sealed up.
    jsv650 has some good points about traction and things to look for. The 401 really has some worn in sections that will collect rain and you might hydroplane and even if not a few inches of water at speed can be scary -

I'd add to stay out of the fast lane in heavy rain conditions as spray from the fast lane on the other side is vicious. Fogging can be the worst issue

Good luck - it's a learned skill like others. I usually find a sensible driver whose speed I like and ride behind out his spray but its a more predictable space to be in as long as you can see through his windows or over.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Love my RF1000 in the rain, anything over 80kph and the rain clears itself! Nothing sprayed on the outside or inside of the visor either. Have ridden with it through thunder storms, small snow/slush storms, and tonnes of heavy rain including one sprint of 150km straight with rain through PA/NY. Just need to get waterproof gear as my hands tend to be quite black after riding in heavy rain for awhile haha
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

I rode through lots of rain last year here in Toronto and on the road. Ride as though you have no brakes, you can't depend on them or the bike staying upright if you brake suddenly.

With few exceptions, drivers slow down and become less aggressive, so in some ways what you lose in traction and visibility you make up for in fewer cars and fewer sudden movements.

In a serious storm it can be totally awesome in the city. On the highway, I would probably find an exit and a greasy diner instead.

Out of curiosity; has anyone here actually hydroplaned before?

last season, muscled threw 3 "Sh*t" storms on my GY6 150cc scooter at least 1 hours drive each one. Just keep under the speed limit, keep your rev's low, and for the love of god only use your brakes to brake, do not use the engine to help you!
    150cc GY6 scooter-Sold.
    1992 Yamaha XJ 600, Street Fighter.
    LOOK FOR Dual Reflective Punisher Patches

Got caught in that big storm we had last year, end of summer I think. Considered pulling over but I stuck it out. Lots of standing water, strong winds and downpour made it an interesting ride. I gained about 30 lbs of water weight by the time I got home lol. I followed behind a slow moving car both for my own visibility and to ensure the car behind me sees something ahead of him.
    Last edited by AF4iK; 04-12-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Aside from good rain gear, get good rain tires.