overnight street parking, and 1-2 hour limited parking areas

Thread: overnight street parking, and 1-2 hour limited parking areas

overnight street parking, and 1-2 hour limited parking areas

Hello,
    I live in an area where most homes do not have driveways or garages (western beaches, leslieville).
    I pay for a yearly permit for my car to park on my street. About 180 dollars I think.
    Last night I recieved a parking ticket on my motorcycle, which was adjacent to the street at about 80*.
    The ticket was for overnight parking without a permit. Does anybody know what a permit for a bike costs.
    Also what is to stop people from removing the sticker from my bike.
    It would seem unfair that I would need to pay twice for a small car and a bike when I.m still using up less space than a Hummer or similar large vehicle. TIA
    Alex
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alex

Re: overnight street parking, and 1-2 hour limited parking areas

They will give you a permit for free for your bike.

Just need to go to city hall.

cool thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alex

Just take off your plate. They can't / won't give ticket to a unplaced vehicle. Might be easier then going to city hall after midnight

They tow unplated vehicles.

You get a free 6 month pass if you go to city hall

They don't tow unplated vehicles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSaki View Post
    They don't tow unplated vehicles.
    Unplated vehicles parked on city streets are considered to be abandoned vehicles, and are subject to tow.

After how long....?
    Parking enforcement Is so lazy now, they don't want to wait for a departmental tow or contract tow. Half of them don't even get out of their vehicles at night to check street parking tags.
    Was just telling the OP, this may be an option if he wants to park after city hall is closed. Or if youre feeling brave, park in a lane way- they never patrol those.

Banned

Was just telling the OP, this may be an option if he wants to park after city hall is closed. Or if youre feeling brave, park in a lane way- they never patrol those.
    The no-plate "option" opens the owner up to not only the tow and impound, but also to HTA 13(2) charges for not showing a plate. You don't have to be driving to get that charge. The registered owner can get that charge no matter who was driving or even if the vehicle was just parked on the street.

The laneway option is also a bad one given that public lane ways are patrolled by police, and private ones are often designated fire routes that carry higher fines. The out of open sight nature of many laneways also means you're more exposed to vandalism and theft.

Hi,
    I got my permit today, free as you said. Also took the parking ticket to 55 John st. to fight it.
    Thanks all...
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Unplated vehicles parked on city streets are considered to be abandoned vehicles, and are subject to tow.
    I don't think they're considered abandoned, but I do recall coming across something in the HTA about parking a vehicle on the road with no plates being against some law. I'm too lazy to look it up, so until someone else does, you can either take my word for it or consider this hearsay.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

I live in the same area....if you put your bike cover on your bike you won't get a ticket. They are too lazy to look under it....and yes the free permit from city hall is not a problem either.

He He Too lazy...
    Yes a cover is a great idea..
    Alex

Pretty much an oxymoron situation tho if u think about it. FREE passes at city hall, but If you dont go there, during business hours, to get a FREE pass, you get a $30 ticket? If parking enforcement knows its a FREE permit, why are they ticketing!?

Pretty much an oxymoron situation tho if u think about it. FREE passes at city hall, but If you dont go there, during business hours, to get a FREE pass, you get a $30 ticket? If parking enforcement knows its a FREE permit, why are they ticketing!?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

It's free if you can prove you're a resident there, otherwise you aren't entitled to one and are subject to being ticketed.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Just take off your plate. They can't / won't give ticket to a unplaced vehicle. Might be easier then going to city hall after midnight
    Awful suggestion.
    2006 Black Tribal Honda CBR600RR - Current
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F - SOLD
    1992 Kawasaki Ninja 500 - SOLD

2006 Acura TSX 6MT
    2002 Honda S2000