Oil level dropping really fast/2004 ZX6R - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil level dropping really fast/2004 ZX6R

Re: Oil level dropping really fast/2004 ZX6R

When the bike has been sitting for more than 5-10 minutes (without running), is the oil between the lines (closer to the top line) in the oil sight window?

Quote Originally Posted by Zangief View Post
    Yes, I double checked all connections and looked at it when the bike was running, the smoke seems to be coming from below the exhaust, its not loose nuts and everything is in place.
    You most likely got oil on the header and now it is burning off, Same thing happened yesterday when I did an oil change.
    The ticking could be coming from you keep running your engine with not enough oil, Have you added more pil yet, If not STOP running the engine.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

My concern is the smoke, and the ticking. The oil constantly switching levels is abnormal as I've never seen this before, at least not this much. I understand that the level changes when the bike runs as the oil filter needs to be filled and the oil circulates, but it went from being completely full (the upper part of the max fill line) to almost completely empty.
    You need to remember you just drained all your oil...Yes adding more is normal...smoke is also normal unless you vacumed out your oil from the plug.......oil is going to get on pipes, engine ect..... is the noise going away?

Quote Originally Posted by rich6969 View Post
    add more oil untill you see it in the window....
    +1

I'm going to put my money on this
    Resident Loudmouth

Thanks for all of your help. When the bike is off and completely level the oil just barely reaches in between the lower and upper level lines. When the bike is on the oil level drops below the lower line and is almost completely non existent in the window.

The ticking noise is concerning but I think thats a seperate issue from the smoke/oil. I can see the smoke coming from the excess oil and all the crap thats still on there from the change, but the smoke coming out of the exhaust is normal for the first couple of minutes, and then turns into a really thick white.

Would it be possible that the thick white smoke is a result of there not being enough oil?

Regardless, filling the oil up to appropriate levels seems to be the next course of action.

Thanks for all of your help. When the bike is off and completely level the oil just barely reaches in between the lower and upper level lines. When the bike is on the oil level drops below the lower line and is almost completely non existent in the window.

The ticking noise is concerning but I think thats a seperate issue from the smoke/oil. I can see the smoke coming from the excess oil and all the crap thats still on there from the change, but the smoke coming out of the exhaust is normal for the first couple of minutes, and then turns into a really thick white.
    Isn't white smoke indicative of a coolant leak? (not directed at you OP specifically - more the tech savvy posters)
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    Isn't white smoke indicative of a coolant leak? (not directed at you OP specifically - more the tech savvy posters)
    Generally..but..how is coolant getting into the combustion chamber? That's usually a head-gasket problem..or a cracked case..unlikely unless the OP is very clumsy or something else happened. If he over-tightened the oil pan bolt the case may have cracked..but I don't think it could cause enough damage to cause a huge coolant leak. Trick is figuring out if it's just normal condensation or if it's coolant. That's the problem with internet diagnoses..this could be solved in 30 seconds if someone knowledgeable could look at it in person..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Generally..but..how is coolant getting into the combustion chamber? That's usually a head-gasket problem..or a cracked case..unlikely unless the OP is very clumsy or something else happened. If he over-tightened the oil pan bolt the case may have cracked..but I don't think it could cause enough damage to cause a huge coolant leak. Trick is figuring out if it's just normal condensation or if it's coolant. That's the problem with internet diagnoses..this could be solved in 30 seconds if someone knowledgeable could look at it in person..
    Agree - but he indicated he had to take off the radiator - not sure if something got fubar'd on the removal/install.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    Agree - but he indicated he had to take off the radiator - not sure if something got fubar'd on the removal/install.
    Could very well be.. I don't really see how it could be getting into the combustion chamber..but you never know...sometimes it's better to just let a pro do it.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I only removed the bolts holding the radiator in place. I didn't touch any mechanical parts or hoses, just enough to give me some wiggle room to remove the exhaust, so I dont think that the radiator has anything to do with it. The white smoke coming out of the exhaust could be coolant but I dont think so because coolant coming out of the exhaust would have a different smell than oil, and it def smells like oil. I dont think the head gasket is blown either because I havn't ridden it at all, and all of a sudden this is happening.

Is the oil light out? Removing your rad won't get coolant in the combustion chamber. What does the smoke smell like? sweet=coolant oil=...oil. The oil will dissapear from the sight glass 100% normal. Does the ticking increase/decrease with the revs of the bike? If not it could just be your exhaust/engine heating/cooling which is also normal. If your worried pay someone who knows what they're doing a few $ to look at your bike.

Thanks for all the responses, but I figured the smoke/oil issue out. Turns out when you remove the oil pan you need about 500 ml more oil than a regular oil change, which is why the white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. The smoke coming out of the front was excess oil, etc, which heated up when I started my bike. No head gaskets have been blown and everything worked out fine. The ticking has gone down slightly (possibly due to the oil) but I think its time to get my valve clearances adjusted on this bad boy for some piece of mind.

Ticking could be exhaust leak.

please for the love of god dont try and adjust them your self.

like said earlier the ticking could be an exhaust leak or a spark plug wire shorting out. the arc will make a noise.

Thanks for all the responses, but I figured the smoke/oil issue out. Turns out when you remove the oil pan you need about 500 ml more oil than a regular oil change, which is why the white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. The smoke coming out of the front was excess oil, etc, which heated up when I started my bike. No head gaskets have been blown and everything worked out fine. The ticking has gone down slightly (possibly due to the oil) but I think its time to get my valve clearances adjusted on this bad boy for some piece of mind.
    WOW dont you trust people and the experience offered ?.... 34 post later You say this...

Would it be possible that the thick white smoke is a result of there not being enough oil?

Regardless, filling the oil up to appropriate levels seems to be the next course of action.
    where are you located?

edit:didn't see the second page of this thread and you got **** sorted out

Quote Originally Posted by rich6969 View Post
    WOW dont you trust people and the experience offered ?.... 34 post later You say this...
    LOLz, this thread makes my head hurt
    Resident Loudmouth

good morning rocky...maybe the guy should have loosened off the oil filter, to check for oil pressure and flow in case there was an air lock with the pan replacement because the pump was dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    good morning rocky...maybe the guy should have loosened off the oil filter, to check for oil pressure and flow in case there was an air lock with the pan replacement because the pump was dry.
    This is actually good advise....when people do work like they, they can leave the pan off for a while....and then install the new pan and dont check for oil pressure...there goes a motor! (I've seen it happen before)