Is A School Zone In Effect During A Teacher Strike?

Thread: Is A School Zone In Effect During A Teacher Strike?

Is A School Zone In Effect During A Teacher Strike?

A couple of weeks ago we had some teacher strikes. I was wondering with students not at school during this time, would it still count as a school zone?

Re: Is A School Zone In Effect During A Teacher Strike?

Quote Originally Posted by TFGeek View Post
    A couple of weeks ago we had some teacher strikes. I was wondering with students not at school during this time, would it still count as a school zone?
    Yep! I asked this question to the prosecutor a long long time ago because it was late at night and I still got my fined doubled for being in a school zone (242 in a 40, wasn't cheap ).

Their answer: Kids were more likely to be around the area, even after hours, using the schools basketball hoops, after school teacher meeting, etc. etc. So the school zone stands 24/7/365.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

The school speed limit zone is in effect at the times that it is indicated to be in effect regardless of any other circumstances. If there is no sign showing the times or flashing lights indicating when it is in effect then it is in effect ALL the time.

If the sign says the school speed limit is in effect Monday to Friday 7 AM to 5 PM then that's what it is. Doesn't matter if this particular Monday is a holiday or if the teachers are on strike or anything else. If the sign provides additional clarification on what months etc or "except holidays" then so be it (but most of them don't - and how complicated do you want such a sign to be, while you are driving past it trying to figure out what it means?). If it's the type with flashing warning lights and the warning lights are flashing at 2:45 AM on a Saturday in July, then the school zone is in effect and it matters not a whit that it's 2:45 AM on a Saturday in July.

Speaking of which, those signs with flashing lights should be universal but they're a money drain and stand in the way of generating revenue. Of course, you're most likely to get nailed in a school zone at 2am on a Sunday morning. I've even come across a cop who had the nerve to start lecturing the driver (well, it was 2am Saturday morning), who responded with "I can't believe you were able to say that with a straight face". The cop didn't have a response to that other than to hand the driver the ticket. He ended up beating the rap on no disclosure.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

If there are no time limitations on the sign, or there is no "when flashing" statement on it, then the zone is always in effect. I live in a school zone and have seen RADAR set up in the school parking lot at 8:00pm, on a weekend, in the past.

If you think about it schools frequently have sports fields and the like, that are used in off hours. There can still be kids around.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If there are no time limitations on the sign, or there is no "when flashing" statement on it, then the zone is always in effect. I live in a school zone and have seen RADAR set up in the school parking lot at 8:00pm, on a weekend, in the past.

If you think about it schools frequently have sports fields and the like, that are used in off hours. There can still be kids around.
    There can be. But there can be kids anywhere. The law is the law, it doesn't need to make sense to make cents.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Yep! I asked this question to the prosecutor a long long time ago because it was late at night and I still got my fined doubled for being in a school zone (242 in a 40, wasn't cheap ).

Their answer: Kids were more likely to be around the area, even after hours, using the schools basketball hoops, after school teacher meeting, etc. etc. So the school zone stands 24/7/365.

-Jamie M.

WOW!!!! am I the only one that read this? no kidding!
    FPR - Fat. Power. Ranger

"It takes me more to share the back seat on my bike then the spot next to me in bed"

The signs are still posted arent they? Its not like they are running around removing the signs until the strike is over. Its still a school there and therefore a 'school zone'
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

I also asked two cops, it started a debate between them.

I also asked two cops, it started a debate between them.
    It shouldn't have. A speed limit is a speed limit, unless conditions are expressly put upon it.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Saw a sign "School Zone Don't hit a Child" Someone scribbled in "Wait for a teacher".

The teachers are on strike, not the school. Daycare, other activities may not be affected.