Question for new riders

Thread: Question for new riders

Question for new riders

With regards to the amount of threads for new riders dealing with stupid high insurance quotes; It's been a while since I went through it, but would it help any of you to avoid the popular ninja 250's, cbr 125's, etc for an older bike? I'm just curious, but years ago an old bike was virtually the only real option for a new rider. Enduros were popular, as were small standards. I know that's a tough sell to the sportbike crowd, but for a year or two, would that help in today's insurance? The reason for my question, is that when I got my M licence (1990), you could not insure a "supersport" at all without 3 years experience. Most guys started on shadows, any enduro, older ex500's, etc. I know nothing from the 80's would be relevant today, but I think I'd be eyeballing a 250 enduro on an M1 for sure. Your thoughts? For a reference point, in 1990 I was 19, 4 minor tickets, no accidents, G for 2 years, making 7 bucks an hour, I was paying 500 a year for basic coverage on a kawi 440 ltd. It was a horrid little bike, but it got me the experience I needed for more fun bikes later.

Re: Question for new riders

I will speak for Jevco, since I mainly work with them, and I can tell you that age is not a factor in determining the rates. I have also found this to be consistent with other insurance companies. We generally go by the CC's and age/experience of rider. There are some exceptions. For example, Jevco will not insure certain supersport bikes (you can view the list in the sticky thread), but if the supersport bike is 16yrs or older, they will treat is as a normal bike and rate by CC's. Also, Harley's tend to be surcharged. I have insured bikes as old as 1960 with Jevco and they were rated the same way as a 2012 - except you might want fire/theft/collision coverages on the 2012, but only basic liability on the older one - unless you provide an appraisal to add on physical coverages. I always recommend new riders to start on the 125s or 250s, but to answer your question, the age of the bike makes no difference.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Sorry Alex, but there is a slight difference in rates on bikes based on the year. Not a large difference but the rates do change. There can be a further difference in price if you purchase Collision and/or Comprehensive. Bikes 2008 and newer are a little more expensive that bikes 2007 and older.

The OP here is full of common sense. People should listen to him/her.

Everyone wants a Gixxer or CBR as their first bike. I'm still waiting for the my first Corvette but the mini van has to do for now. Maybe once the kids go off to College I'll get into the Corvette.

Kids, go buy a 1990 Nighthawk 250, or a Suzuki DR200 or something else that's cheap and easy to fix yourself.

You think you look like a dork???

Your friend waiting for the York Mills 95 bus looks like more of a dork.

Riding a sensible starter bike might also just save your life.

I just went with the 2011 cbr250 because it's brand new and covered under warranty. I live in a condo and don't have a place to fiddle around. Insurance is 65 a month with 1 ticket that comes off in 2 months. I've had my G (well class 5 from BC then G when I moved here) for 17 years. I haven't had a car insured for 12 years. It was no more than a few dollars cheaper for any other bike so what is the difference to me? An older bike would just be a maintenance hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    The OP here is full of common sense. People should listen to him/her.

Everyone wants a Gixxer or CBR as their first bike. I'm still waiting for the my first Corvette but the mini van has to do for now. Maybe once the kids go off to College I'll get into the Corvette.

Kids, go buy a 1990 Nighthawk 250, or a Suzuki DR200 or something else that's cheap and easy to fix yourself.

You think you look like a dork???

Your friend waiting for the York Mills 95 bus looks like more of a dork.

Riding a sensible starter bike might also just save your life.
    Nicely stated!