Can u trust clip links over rivet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can u trust clip links over rivet?

Can u trust clip links over rivet?

Chains wear out. Most chain manufacturers also sell clip links. Is there any seasoned riders here with a sport or cruiser (no dirtbikes) who's racked up the k's on a clip link? Tires and Chains are the wear points. Using a clip link eliminates the need for an over priced tool or paying a shop.

Re: Can u trust clip links over rivet?

Use a rivet link and be safe. Often only the lower spec chains have clip links available.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    Chains wear out. Most chain manufacturers also sell clip links. Is there any seasoned riders here with a sport or cruiser (no dirtbikes) who's racked up the k's on a clip link? Tires and Chains are the wear points. Using a clip link eliminates the need for an over priced tool or paying a shop.
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

I have been riding since the sixties and racing since the seventies and have never used a rivet link, and never had a problem.
    It is easy to trust the link, the problem comes from the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    I have been riding since the sixties and racing since the seventies and have never used a rivet link, and never had a problem.
    It is easy to trust the link, the problem comes from the installation.
    Do you use silicon, safety wire, or something else?

If using clip link, why not use safety wire AND a clip link? The extra 5 minutes of trouble is worth the peace of mind isn't it?
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    If using clip link, why not use safety wire AND a clip link? The extra 5 minutes of trouble is worth the peace of mind isn't it?
    what is safety wire?

I did a search on silicone and found this:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._Sealant_b.htm

Can be bought anywhere.

How do you safety wire a master link? I've never heard of this.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Rivet links can fail quickly/nasty if it's not done correctly (over squish the side plate, forgot the o-rings, etc.). I'd say there's more a chance of screwing up a rivet link vs. clip link.

Also would like the info on safety wiring.

My GF's rivet link I did for her

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

My bike came with a new RK chain that had a clip link and is safety wired.
    I put 10,000+ KM's on it and had no problem, only adjusted it once.
    Mina

This pic was posted by a member on here about a yr ago:
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I tried to take a picture just now, but my blackberry has the worst camera ever...
    I'll have to wait 'till day time.
    Mine looks like the picture posted above, except I think the silicone wore off from when I clean/lube it.
    Mina

Clips are fine if installed right. The rivit is better.
    Many racers use clips (sometime multiple) in order to allow for gear changes quicker and easier at the track. For instance I would do a 6-8 tooth change between Mosport and Shanny (depending on bike) by adding in a 4-6 link piece and use two masters. To expensive and cumbersome to carry around multiple chains.

Ive installed some chains for people that stated on the back of the box, clip is for off road use only, street bikes should use rivet.

Me personally I will always buy a rivet link if it is available for the chain Im using...I have seen way too many bikes out there with missing clips on their clip link, the scary part is these people never even know its missing when I notify them....

Probably typical posers, just ride to look good but don't have a clue about proper maintenance and everyday bike inspection. Let them pile up when the chain lets go.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
    Let them pile up when the chain lets go.
    Ouch.. that's pretty harsh.
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Rivet links can fail quickly/nasty if it's not done correctly (over squish the side plate, forgot the o-rings, etc.). I'd say there's more a chance of screwing up a rivet link vs. clip link.

Also would like the info on safety wiring.

My GF's rivet link I did for her

-Jamie M.
    That is a nice rivet job but why silicone the rivet? The idea of silicone and safety wire (whatever that is) is to hold the clip in place.

That is a nice rivet job but why silicone the rivet? The idea of silicone and safety wire (whatever that is) is to hold the clip in place.
    I don't think that's silicone, I believe that's the lube that comes on the chain when it's brand new. (I could be wrong)
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    I don't think that's silicone, I believe that's the lube that comes on the chain when it's brand new. (I could be wrong)
    Correct, that's the white grease that comes with the master link, liberally applied I've never siliconed or safety wired a rivet link, only heard about peeps doing that with clip links.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

A rivet is the safest way to go if you are not positive you know what you are doing with safety wire and goop.I've used both with never any problems at all.I use .025" wire on the link with Cdn tire "automotive goop" instead of silicone.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

I tried a link when a rivet was not avaiable, as a stop gap measure near then end of a very long road trip. Later that day while passing a pickup at 145 kph the chain came apart at the clip. One end wrapped itself around the rear wheel and sprocket and locked it up solid so it no longer turned. The other end of the chain punched a twonie sized hole in the crankcase. Rivets are better