survival training / classes in toronto?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: survival training / classes in toronto?

survival training / classes in toronto?

hi there, i plan on doing some backpacking in europe or just the rockie mountains. i have zero survival training. so i thought i should learn some before embarking on my trip. does anyone know what school teaches some survival skills?

ie: make fire, shelter, hand to hand combat, cook food in the wild and etc.

i thought i need these skills because i want the experience to be as real as possible so will be avoiding civilization/technology to an extent. basically i want to be self sufficient.

right now if you put a gun to my head and tell me to make fire without a lighter, i will die. lol

Re: survival training / classes in toronto?

pretty sure that getting on a treadmill is gonna be a lot more useful than any hand to hand combat you can learn. you aren't gonna be UFCing a bear.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    hi there, i plan on doing some backpacking in europe or just the rockie mountains. i have zero survival training. so i thought i should learn some before embarking on my trip. does anyone know what school teaches some survival skills?

i thought i need these skills because i want the experience to be as real as possible so will be avoiding civilization/technology to an extent. basically i want to be self sufficient.

right now if you put a gun to my head and tell me to make fire without a lighter, i will die. lol
    hand to hand combat wont help when you're facing a grizzly bear
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

a treadmill won't help either against a grizzly bear.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    a treadmill won't help either against a grizzly bear.
    "more"is a key word in the sentence
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Schools that teach all this no ...

Armed Forces - Yes

Boy Scouts - Yes (without the lay'in a smack down to a bear)
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Hmmm, I've read once that serial killers "to be" ask questions like these.

These guys provide some good training skills.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LixARaQ7Y

Last edited by SunnY S; 04-08-2012 at 07:39 AM.

hahaha against whom will you use your hand to hand combat out in the bush?? That Grizzly will slap you silly if you try...

edit: lol, I didn't read the first couple replies but they're pretty much the same as mine. Regarding the fire just get a fire stone to create spark and carry a knife. Also just cuz you're heading out in the bush doesn't mean you can't take a lighter or matches...
    Last edited by LoneRonin; 04-08-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Here`s a start.

http://www.wscsurvivalschool.com/wti/wti_index.html

With regards to bears, you just have to run faster than your companion.

In theatre training is the best:

1. Travel to the uk
    2. Stand in any large field where caravans are present
    3. Shout out "I hate pikeys"

Prepare for a steep survival learning curve.

those joking about hand to hand combat. hey what if you get mugged or attacked while traveling?

and about what sunnyS said "Hmmm, I've read once that serial killers "to be" ask questions like these."
    right... you read "once", that makes any other person to ask after, also a potential serial killer? grow up. im amazed there are still so many idiots on this board. lol

but thanks to those who are serious and provided helpful answer
    Last edited by SkyRider; 04-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Hard to get mugged if you are equipped with a sidearm or shotgun. At the very least every backpacker/camper should have a reliable knife at their side.

Survivalism is one of my favourite hobbies. I've camped for days by myself, built fire, caught/picked my own food. I build bug out bags, emergency packs and have researched longterm self-sustaining survival/homesteading. I'm not survivorman, just an enthusiast whenever I find time.

Forget the "school", start reading. Then get out on a few mini-trips and see what works for you and what doesn't. Customize your gear towards your journey but plan for the unexpected.

Priorities are always Warmth, Water, Security, Food in that order.

Pack three knives, one on your belt, one in your pack, one in your first aid kit.

Pack warm clothes regardless of season, then pack even warmer clothes and as many socks as you can

Pack weight is always a concern, try to load gear that is lightweight and has multiple uses/functions.

Don't skimp on first aid supplies, a small collection of assorted medications can and will come in handy if you become ill.

Don't pick up a bear cub ;p

PM me if you have any questions
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Hard to get mugged if you are equipped with a sidearm or shotgun. At the very least every backpacker/camper should have a reliable knife at their side.

Survivalism is one of my favourite hobbies. I've camped for days by myself, built fire, caught/picked my own food. I build bug out bags, emergency packs and have researched longterm self-sustaining survival/homesteading. I'm not survivorman, just an enthusiast whenever I find time.

Forget the "school", start reading. Then get out on a few mini-trips and see what works for you and what doesn't. Customize your gear towards your journey but plan for the unexpected.

Priorities are always Warmth, Water, Security, Food in that order.

Pack three knives, one on your belt, one in your pack, one in your first aid kit.

Pack warm clothes regardless of season, then pack even warmer clothes and as many socks as you can

Pack weight is always a concern, try to load gear that is lightweight and has multiple uses/functions.

Don't skimp on first aid supplies, a small collection of assorted medications can and will come in handy if you become ill.

Don't pick up a bear cub ;p

PM me if you have any questions
    awesome post!!!

but where in canada does it allow you to carry a sidearm? lol i thought it has to be in a locked box. unless you are law enforcement/military

awesome post!!!

but where in canada does it allow you to carry a sidearm? lol i thought it has to be in a locked box. unless you are law enforcement/military

You can apply for a permit that allows you to carry in wilderness. Generally it's only issued for remote area workers and even though we have Black Bears and Cougars here in Ontario, the CFO won't issue permits for Ontario only BC/Alberta. Just get your PAL and carry a shotgun especially if you are venturing into the remote Rockies. Make sure you get one that takes 3.5in slugs...you'll need that knockdown power if you have to defend yourself from something or someone.

FYI:

Technically anyone in Canada can apply for a conceal and carry permit for personal protection, it's just that the CFO decides the lives of politicians, police and military are the only ones worth protecting.

It's especially ridiculous that licensed hunters can't carry a sidearm while hunting big game.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

This book by John Wiseman is a great resource with tons of real life information. There's even an iPhone app with all the same topics.

Hand to hand combat.... doesnt do you any good. Advice, pick up a bear bell (it alerts animals to your presense as most attacks are because you scared them not due to food. Spring yes worry about being food, but any othertime of year its cus you scared them) and some pepper spray. Pepper spray wont help with the bear but it will the cougars and other small animals.

Best survival training is to learn how to navigate. Get a good waterproof map and compass and become best buddies. That is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Here`s a start.

http://www.wscsurvivalschool.com/wti/wti_index.html

With regards to bears, you just have to run faster than your companion.
    I grew up in rural BC. We didnt get snow days we had bear days. Days when we'd be sent home early or locked in the school while the authorities hunted down whatever cougar or bear was roaming around. My mom has a bear that comes to visit regularly. She loves it cus apparently the conservation guy assigned to the area is hot.

So I'm giving you a double face palm for that answer.
    NEVER EVER RUN FROM A BEAR... Now you are a game, now you are food. You might have escaped before, now you definately wont. They can run faster than you. Usually they will leave you alone if you leave them alone. Unless you meet a kodiak bear. And when you see one of those you are already ****ed, its because hes figured you are at your weakest and hes going to strike or hes trying to scare you so you'll weaken.

Now if you see a cub. Try to calmly get as far away from it as you can. Mommy is nearby and definately ******. I've only been charged once by a bear. Thankfully I was in a kayak and was able to shove off from shore the second I saw the cub. Never saw mommy till she was already running for me and my mom.

Iphone app.... again double face palm. Mountains equal ****** cell service. If you depend on that to survive... well perhaps its best you find a camping spot in the GTA.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    pretty sure that getting on a treadmill is gonna be a lot more useful than any hand to hand combat you can learn. you aren't gonna be UFCing a bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    hand to hand combat wont help when you're facing a grizzly bear
    But it's gonna keep u fit

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post

Iphone app.... again double face palm. Mountains equal ****** cell service. If you depend on that to survive... well perhaps its best you find a camping spot in the GTA.
    I think he was referring to the app used to view the book
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    But it's gonna keep u fit
    lean meat is less tasty? =D

I can teach you how to make a fire with out a lighter. Get a pack of matches.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

good advice.

now about hand to hand combat. damnit im not learning it to fight a bear? LMAO wtf??? i meant it's good to know in case you are backpacking, not just in the rockies. but lets say europe and someone tries to mug you, or something like that. knowing some martial arts is better than nothing, right?