Casual rider coverage

Thread: Casual rider coverage

Question Casual rider coverage

Hi everyone I just had a quick question about coverage under a parents insurance.

I know that with automobile insurance if someone is given permission to use a the car and gets into an accident with that car they are still covered under the owners insurance.

I was wondering if this was the case with motorcycle insurance as well?

I am a 21 year old male with my M2 which I received back in November 2010 and the lowest quote I can get for any motorcycle regardless of size or type is around $2100 (Jevco), if at all possible I was thinking I could put the bike and insurance under my father's name and pay closer to $500 a year for insurance. I do not live at home anymore (university student) but I need to know if I would be covered in the event of an accident.

thank you for your time,

-Docks

Re: Casual rider coverage

Another guy trying to beat the system.

You have to be honest with your insurance company. Tell them you're the primary rider, which I assume you will be, and see what your premiums are.

It probably won't matter who owns the bike, it's based on who rides it.

Now, if your intention is to tell your insurance company that your Dad bought it and is the primary rider (I assume he has a motorcycle license) well good luck to you, don't complain when your insurance company denies your claim for a Misrepresentation.

From what i know, you won't be covered. I'm in the same boat as you, i tried to get someone else to insure but i realized that if i get in a accident with me at fault i wont be covered, my bike wont be covered, and the who every i hit wont be covered. The only positive thing i get if i insure through someone else is if i get pulled over by a cop, i wont get the $5000 charge for driving without insurance.

However, i was told that if i wasn't at fault, then my bike and myself would be covered. Not sure how true that is.

The best thing to do is to actually insure it under your name. Use the student housing address you have now. It will save you some money.

WHAT!

$2100 with JEVCO!!!

Im 21 and I just went with State Farm for $478 a month = $5736

I got my M2 last Nov. and a full G.

What type of bike you got?... maybe its because I got a 1000RR as my first bike :P

You must want to ride reeeeeeal bad to pay that kind of coin.

In 3 or 4 years of paying that kind of rate, you could put a downpayment on a house or other long term investment.

Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR1000RRMATT View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post

You must want to ride reeeeeeal bad to pay that kind of coin.

In 3 or 4 years of paying that kind of rate, you could put a downpayment on a house or other long term investment.

Yikes.
    Ive always wanted to Ride. The Agent said that in a year with a good record it will drop to about $2100-$3000 a year.

Then again no other insurance company would even give me a quote (if they did it was ridicules $10,000-$20,000 a year). Even my broker gave up "buddy your on your own"
    Last edited by CBR1000RRMATT; 04-08-2012 at 02:41 PM.

... maybe its because I got a 1000RR as my first bike :P
    Why would you need a 1000RR as a first bike?
    I would have definitely just dropped to a 600 and saved some coin as you will NEVER reach the full capabilities of that bike on the street let alone as a newb. Hell you probably wouldn't reach the capabilities of a 600 on the street.
    But hey, if you would rather a bike then a house thats your choice I guess
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Ive always wanted to Ride. The Agent said that in a year with a good record it will drop to about $2100-$3000 a year.
    If it is SF then unless there is a change in your driving record it won.t drop until you are 25.
    M1 rates = M +10 years experience rates
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    If it is SF then unless there is a change in your driving record it won.t drop until you are 25.
    M1 rates = M +10 years experience rates
    uh oh...

We will see how this season goes. If anything I will downgrade to a small CC in November...

Hey JJones just noticed your avatar... is that your bike? If so the LED's are they wired so you can leave them on when the bike is parked?

Hey JJones just noticed your avatar... is that your bike? If so the LED's are they wired so you can leave them on when the bike is parked?
    Yeah, the LED's have the own remote that I can turn them on, flash or pulse with the bike on or off.
    2001 CBR F4i

Quote Originally Posted by 03gixxer View Post
    From what i know, you won't be covered. I'm in the same boat as you, i tried to get someone else to insure but i realized that if i get in a accident with me at fault i wont be covered, my bike wont be covered, and the who every i hit wont be covered.
    That's totally untrue. How it works is that if you live at the same address as the person who "owns" the bike, and are related to them and are NOT listed as an occasional driver, you will not be covered.

So in the OP's case he'd be covered. It's his dad's bike, stored at his dad's house, and the OP only rides it occasionally, he is 100% covered because he doesn't live at the same address.

Docks, read the above sentence carefully. Also remember that selling a motorcycle to a direct relative doesn't cost anything (no tax, nothing, a gift/motorcycle can be given without paying tax, once per year, to close family members, same thing when you're ready to put it in your name).

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    So in the OP's case he'd be covered. It's his dad's bike, stored at his dad's house, and the OP only rides it occasionally, he is 100% covered because he doesn't live at the same address.
    To my knowledge, toysareforboys is correct. But just one question...When you say 100% covered, would that mean Docks is also covered for full benefits (i.e. Health/Medical). I was under the impression that someone not listed on the policy would only be entitled to third-part liability coverage alone.

Either way, I would not advise this. It is very easy for an insurer to hire a PI and find out who the primary rider actually is. In addition, Jevco is notorious for weaseling out of insurance claims. Lastly, the earlier you start riding with your own policy, the sooner your rates will go down. Just my opinion though. Maybe I'm more risk averse than you.

Quote Originally Posted by biker122 View Post
    To my knowledge, toysareforboys is correct. But just one question...When you say 100% covered, would that mean Docks is also covered for full benefits (i.e. Health/Medical).
    By 100% I meant if he was at fault or not at fault, but good question about the medical! I'll send this question over to Katherine at State Farm and get her take on it

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    That's totally untrue. How it works is that if you live at the same address as the person who "owns" the bike, and are related to them and are NOT listed as an occasional driver, you will not be covered.

Docks, read the above sentence carefully. Also remember that selling a motorcycle to a direct relative doesn't cost anything (no tax, nothing, a gift/motorcycle can be given without paying tax, once per year, to close family members, same thing when you're ready to put it in your name).

-Jamie M.
    This is somewhat true but if the insurance company looks into it they can say he is not covered for misrepresentation.
    Yes if he is an "occasional" driver he is covered if he isn't living in the house, BUT he is NOT an occasional driver as he will have the bike at university with him and it will not be garaged at his fathers as he told the insurance. Also if the insurance looks into a claim they will see that it was transfered to his father for free and then a claim made from his son that had the bike at university?
    So yes, If insurance doesn't look deeply into it in theory he shoul be covered, But if the insurance does there job they will find alot of discrepancies in what the OP told the insurance and what was actually happening and as mentioned the claim could be dropped due to misrepresntation and/or insurance fraud.
    2001 CBR F4i

Simple question. Is the address on your driver's licence your parent's address or your school address? The answer to that will rule out a lot of the scenarios talked about above.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    This is somewhat true but if the insurance company looks into it they can say he is not covered for misrepresentation.
    Yes if he is an "occasional" driver he is covered if he isn't living in the house, BUT he is NOT an occasional driver as he will have the bike at university with him and it will not be garaged at his fathers as he told the insurance. Also if the insurance looks into a claim they will see that it was transfered to his father for free and then a claim made from his son that had the bike at university?
    So yes, If insurance doesn't look deeply into it in theory he shoul be covered, But if the insurance does there job they will find alot of discrepancies in what the OP told the insurance and what was actually happening and as mentioned the claim could be dropped due to misrepresntation and/or insurance fraud.

Very True, yur intent is to misrepresent the risk to the insurance company to get a lower premium.

Your insurer will void your policy from the inception, which in plain language will mean you are completely screwed.

Why is everyone looking for an angle.

If you want to ride a motorcycle this is the cost. Pay the insurance.

If you want to fly a Cessna airplane there is all kinds of laws and fees required for that too, but if you wanna fly a plane that's the price.

If you want to complain about insurance, premiums, availability, mandatory coverages etc....That's another story and one I don't completely disagree with. Talk to your local member of parliament, they regulate insurance.

Bottom line, it costs a lot of money to insure a motorcycle.

You can legally operate someone else's insured vehicle provided:

a.) You live at the same residence and are listed as an occasional operator
    b.) You do not live at the same address and you only use the vehicle on very rare occasions and you were given permission by the vehicle's owner

If you drive the vehicle the majority of the time, you must be listed as the principal operator, otherwise you are committing insurance fraud. i.e. Listing your parent as the principal operator when you ride the bike more than 50% of the time is indeed insurance fraud. To prevent this fraud from occurring, most insurance companies will force the highest-risk operator to be listed as the principal. If the owner doesn't like this, then they can have the high-risk operator sign an OPCF28a exclusion endorsement (meaning that the high-risk operator is NOT insured on the vehicle and cannot operate it under any circumstance).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)