New rider - dropped bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rider - dropped bike

New rider - dropped bike

So I'll keep this as brief as I can.

I'm new to riding (M1 doing the course in a couple of weeks). I practice on the quieter streets by my house. Yesterday, in low gear and zero traffic, I graveled out. The bike slide sideways and landed on my left leg. I have a hairline fracture (removable cast and crutches for 2 weeks). Yes, I know I'm lucky.

I am very respectful of the dangers. I'm 40 with 2 kids and a wife. No bravado or tough guy here. Even with all the care in the world, I fell. I suspect more experience would have helped, but you have to start somewhere.

I'm still in shock and I can't believe how fast I ended up under the bike. It really is a blur. I'm just devastated to see the damage on my 3-week old bike. I had to cover it in the garage to keep from crying.

Thankfully, I bought a good jacket (Scorpion) and a decent full-face helmet (HJC IS-16). I had read about the importance of gear and honestly thought it was over-kill. I bought the jacket because I needed "something" and the helmet because itched reasonable reviews. I had below average gloves and leather boots, but not riding boots. Thank God! The boots kept my foot/ankle from being crushed and the gloves did offer some protection. I don't recall hitting my head, but there are a couple of marks on the helmet. The jacket saved my left elbow and shoulder. I have no doubt that I would have sustained serious injury if not for the jacket.

Now, as for the bike, it's not bad, but it needs some repairs Any suggestions on where I can get OEM parts and quality installation for a Suzuki Boulevard in the Oakville area?

Thanks and thankful,

Glad to hear you are okay! I had my first lowside last week, I know how you feel.

As for parts, I'm not 100% sure. I ordered my Suzuki stuff off the web, and I'll be replacing them myself

Re: New rider - dropped bike

sorry to hear about your accident...as you said, it just goes to show how easy it is to lose control and get into a heap of trouble...thank goodness you had the proper gear...i hope you'll still take the course and not let this be a set back...

anyhow, to answer your question, try motorcycle enhancements on speers road in oakville...they are on the north side half way between dorval and kerr street i'd say...guys name is john and he's a sponsor of a group called let's just ride that i'm a member of...he does custom but i'm sure he could help you out...closest suzuki dealer i know is in brampton...here's john's website http://www.motorcycleenhancements.com/

ivana

What repairs does it need?

If it's only cosmetics, I would leave it until you decide to sell. I don't want to jinx you, but you'll most likely drop it again (and it'll hurt less the second time).
    Current:
    2001 EX500

Previous:
    2007 CBR125R (1 season)

Hey, I am glad you are O.K. Like you I got my M1 and M2 in my early 40's and have a family. I am not going to be a preacher but the best thing is to a) get M1 b) do course and pass c) get bike. What's done is done though. I am glad that you had your gear on. I just hope that your wife was 100% supportive of your goal to ride if not, you could be in for a very uncomfortable few days. As the t-shirt says, stuff happens. Chalk it up as a learning experience. I hope that this doesn't hinder you from your goal to ride a motorcycle. Hopefully, you will be healed up enough to do your course shortly. Good luck!

Bad luck...glad you are ok.

Be extra careful...your family depends on it.

Gravel sucks (especially at intersections and between the painted lines are always a problem)...

Watch out for sewer grates and dew on the painted lines too. (Not to mention all the pot holes and ruts in the road when they repave).

And then there are the cars....to watch for.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

I have turn signals you can have if you need them. Came off a Suzuki M50, LMK.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

glad to see you were properly covered. You don't need expensive gear, just the best you can afford. Most new riders have a similar experience at least once in their riding life. I did in my first year, 40 kph gravel slide, although the bike was already rashed. Hurts the ego and stings the wallet, but experience is a good teacher. This is your first crash and unlikely your last. The question is whether your going to hang up the leather or get back on the horse. I hope its the latter. Get well soon.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Wow. I feel even luckier now.

I'm in SUCH a similar situation as you, it's SCARY. (40, married, 2 kids.. First bike, started riding it a couple weeks ago, safety course is next weekend.)

I was out yesterday, making a low speed, left hand turn, when the front wheel hit some gravel. It started to slide out a bit, but I got REALLY lucky and managed to keep the bike up.

Definitely gave me a bit of a scare. I'm sorry to hear you weren't quite as lucky, but hope you heal quickly.

I have rear turn signals for that bike. I have no use for them so there yours if you want them, can only find the right side at the moment but the other is buried somewere in the garage.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

BlackC50, I'm glad you're OK. I've been riding for thirty or so years and I've had dumped my bike four times. Three times when I was a teenager and just starting to ride and the last time about seven years ago that I low sided on an early frigid morning ( combination of cold tires and pavement) turning right too fast for the conditions in a three way road.
    We all start somewhere and learn along the way. It's never too early or too late to learn. You'll be good to go in few weeks and your bike has some battle scars.

Sorry to hear about your lowside. Rest up, do your course and get back out there!

Sturgess in Hamilton is a Suzuki dealer and sells parts.
    Last edited by ModularGT; 04-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.

From the author:

Thanks to all for the support and advice. My wife was not big on the bike idea, but she understands that I'm careful, respectful of the dangers and that I really enjoy it. She Also knows it was an accident and these things happen. It's more the guilt I feel as a father that I need to get over. 2 weeks off the bike is probably a good thing so I can get through the course and get back in the right head-space.

I'm making calls to some local shops to get then bike fixed. The damage is isolated to one light, running board, clutch lever, fork cover, front fender scratches and a little spring that popped off. I have no idea where the spring came from, but it's a bit unsettling to have a stray part...

Heal, fix, course, ride.

Thanks.

Glad you're ok OP! I've had something very similar almost happen as well but the bike being a 125 I was able to hold it up and keep it from coming down on me!
    Take your time healing, take the course, and enjoy the bike! And glad to hear that your wife is supportive of your decision! That always helps out!

Ride safe!

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

You can also go to the 'Dealers' section of this forum and check out the list of all local motorcycle junk yards. Those are a gold mine and you can get your parts for 30-40% of the dealer prices. Also, obviously, check ebay.

I had a similar accident last fall, doing 40 km/h in the turn (marked 40 km/h) and hit the gravel in the lane. Scorpion jacket held up well with sliding on the asphalt, but obviously no jacket protects from the fall and breaking the bones if you don't fall right. Shoei helmet saved my head from becoming a mush while sliding on the asphalt face down. The only safety thing I didn't have on were my knee protectors, and jeans don't offer *any* protection when sliding on the ground.

OP - glad to hear you're relatively alright. Cruisers aren't exactly light, and I'm sure that your boots ultimately saved your foot. I'm not sure if it was suggested, but do periodic searches on craigslist and kijiji for parts.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Sounds like you are level-headed and reflective. Good luck. As they say, there are two types of riders. Those who have fallen and those who are going to fall. Be careful out people as the roads aren't the greatest yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"You tell...and I will smack you like a bad, bad donkey, okay?"- Pepe Prawn

Hey OP, don't get discouraged. It takes a lot of guts to admit to a fall. Gravel is a PITA, and plentiful in the corners until the rains wash it away . The side roads up north are full of it, eyes are always scanning ahead and as far around the turn for it, and I will even bypass a turn if it looks too dodgy to pick a path thru the gravel, rather than risk it. Funny thing to learn to read the road and keep memory of problem areas, see construction sites and your learned "gravel radar sense" starts to twitch .

I got my M2 last year...very late last year after doing one of the college provided courses. Bike has been holed up all winter and my preference is to practice on the side streets too, then scoot out around the 60kph roads with traffic for a bit, and then head back into the residential areas. There are lots of slow speed challenges to deal with and find the right response to, including when to make a decision to commit to a low speed turn or move on until skill level increases.

It's the challenge that will bring you back . Tipped my bike at a Timmies last year, last ride of the year. Broke a mirror and brake lever. Should have known better. It was cold and damp and I wasn't in the right frame of mind. How do you explain the feeling of being ****** off, embarrassed, and slightly stunned all at the same time, rofl?!

Will it make you laugh if I tell ya I almost flattend a little wiener dog that tried, unsuccessfully, to eat me and my bike yesterday ? Jeez, those little things have some confidence, despite their size...
    < Me

My Ride: 2011 CBR250R. Thank you, Santa, for the early Christmas gift. Being naughty has its benefits !
    My Hubby: RodneyBR

Previous/Current Stablemates:
    06 Yamaha TW200 - First bike memories.
    06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (Hubby's bike...sold)
    04 VFR800 (Hubby's new ride)

Feeling you, OP.

I gravelled out this weekend up North as well. Now I'm looking for a new front head light and trying not to cry about the body damage. :'(
    2007 Solar Yellow EX500

hey, sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you got decent gear - saved you eh? Imagine if it were tshirt jeans and beanie helmet like a lot of folk wear!!?

recover well and take it easy. If you can get a hold of it, try and find a video/dvd called "Twist of the Wrist". Some good instruction for riding as you get more experience.