Fuel consumptions on 750-800cc cruisers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel consumptions on 750-800cc cruisers

Fuel consumptions on ~800cc cruisers

I am planning for a cruiser and wondering what would be best to look for in regards to fuel consumption. A used 2006+ year. Shadow or Speedster.
    Last edited by Zag; 04-07-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Re: Fuel consumptions on ~800cc cruisers

Quote Originally Posted by Zag View Post
    I am planning for a cruiser and wondering what would be best to look for in regards to fuel consumption. A used 2006+ year. Shadow or Speedster.
    I'd honestly go with whatever is faster because you're still going to be paying less than half of what a car is paying (hell, likely even more than half...more like 1/4th).

For sure its less than any car but what in average between these two bikes with consumption and maintenance.

Re: Fuel consumptions on ~800cc cruisers

I have a 1997 1100 Virago and I'm pretty consistently getting 55 to 58 mpg, surprisingly the 750 cc Virago gets similar fuel consumption. Fuel consumption can vary by as much as 20mpg depending on weather, road, wind conditions, vehicle loading etc. Yamaha's posted fuel economy for my wife's V-Star 250 is reasonably accurate. They state 92 mpg (imperial) and she's getting between 87 and 102 mpg depending on the trip. I think you can realistically expect somewhere between 50 and 70 mpg on most 750-900 cc cruisers these days, though, as they say your mileage may vary.

That's interesting of insignificant milage ratio between 750 and 1100 and of 250 with killing milage. I believe Harleys burn more and expect same with maintenance cost. Harleys seems costly as well compared to Shadows with same power.

Lightbulb Re: Fuel consumptions on ~800cc cruisers

LOOK AT THIS COMPARISON BEFORE BUYING

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...rison-3972.htm

The c50/M50 is a very nice bike,well balanced handled very well and got 50's while ridden hard and have good power(faster than a shadow or 883).Found it to be better than any other 800 class cruiser I have ridden and i've had many.I would try one out before making a decision.Did not like the shadow at all.I would make sure whatever I got was FUEL INJECTED not carbed ,there is a huge difference.Sold it because after two years and 23000km I it cost me a total of $1500 on trade in from the original price.Paid $6500 with 1700km traded it in at $5000 plus got $1000 gift certificate at the Harey store on a v rod with $4000km.Loved the bike but it was time for a valve adjustment and the deal was to sweet to pass up.
    Last edited by matt123; 04-07-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Re: Fuel consumptions on 750-800cc cruisers

Quote Originally Posted by Zag View Post
    I believe Harleys burn more and expect same with maintenance cost. Harleys seems costly as well compared to Shadows with same power.
    If that's what you believe, then why worry about them? Stick with the Japanese bikes.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Make sure you ride them all and love the one you pick,fuel consumption depends greatly on riding style and load when you get into the 800 to 1100cc classes as mentioned by cknowles
    Last edited by matt123; 04-07-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    If that's what you believe, then why worry about them? Stick with the Japanese bikes.
    That's not the point. Take it as if I spend more on Harley but less maintenance later vs spend less on Japanese but more maintenance later. If that equals in any sense down the road, then definitely Harley will be the best choice. I have a crave for Harley with Night Rod as dream machine. Damn they are expensive and I am not rich.

^^^^^ if thats the case get a v Rod I love mine mileage can be anywhere from 36 to 47 depending on how you ride it peak economy is at 4300 rpm and very snappy/fun for a cuiser. Just get what you want fuel consumption is really secondary unless you only want a commuter and if thats the case CBR125R.By the way the rod is really a steetable Porche VR1 race motor designed for Harley.Don't wast time and money on a bike you don't really want.The v rod also has a range setting in the cluster to let you know your fuel economy in km to empty in real time as you ride.
    Last edited by matt123; 04-07-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks matt123. Nice infos.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    That's great. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
    ^^^^^ if thats the case get a v Rod I love mine mileage can be anywhere from 36 to 47 depending on how you ride it peak economy is at 4300 rpm and very snappy/fun for a cuiser. Just get what you want fuel consumption is really secondary unless you only want a commuter and if thats the case CBR125R.By the way the rod is really a steetable Porche VR1 race motor designed for Harley.Don't wast time and money on a bike you don't really want.The v rod also has a range setting in the cluster to let you know your fuel economy in km to empty in real time as you ride.
    Which one do you ride? They seem hard to find as used ones. You are absolutely right about pursuing the like. I really have wasted too much time and effort, circling other makes around Harley as it is not affordable to my pocket as a brand new bike. After many days of searching, I was able to pull my mind to Honda (Shadow, phantom, spirit) to get closer to Harley. (had a sort of assumption that Honda would be better and cheaper on consumption and maintenance)
    As per consumption table posted, Harleys have better consumption than Honda. I am surprised.
    Searching for a black. Not much of a chrome guy.

I have a vivid black American vrscaw I got at Thunder Road in Windsor.Sadly for me after i checked into it I found out that the dealers around here are buying low millage v rods for $6000 in Detroit importing them and selling them for $10000 to 12000 in Windsor so I would look into it if your serious about any bike.I know I will from now on but don't know how to do it since im not looking.Or you can do Ontario wide kijiji searches.If you want any more info feel free to ask me
    Here are a few good links on v rod info
    Very interesting Discovery Channel documentary about how it was designed "Birth Of the V rod"
    http://www.moviesdatacenter.com/Movi...The-V-Rod.html

info about the models and year to year changes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_VRSC

Site dedicated to the v rod regarding parts,mods,issues,.......
    http://www.1130cc.com/
    Last edited by matt123; 04-08-2012 at 10:04 AM.

My carbed 1200 Sporster gets 5L/100kms or better. Maintence and costs to maintain have been reasonable. Harley accessories and parts can be expensive but, you can shop around. If you're close to the border, the USA isn't a bad option for buying a bike or getting some things to support the bike.

Don't try to justify a motorcycle purchase by fuel economy alone. Settling for anything other than what you really want will leave you hating whatever you settle for. If it's a Harley you crave then any Japanese bike will only be second best to you. I shopped for months and did the same thing you are doing, researching fuel economy, horsepower. I checked out the cycle ergo website to see how I'd fit on the different bikes etc. I went to the bike shows and sat on tons of different bikes even if they weren't my style. I got a much better feel for what I was looking for. New was never in my price range so I had to buy used.

Quote Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
    I have a vivid black American vrscaw I got at Thunder Road in Windsor.Sadly for me after i checked into it I found out that the dealers around here are buying low millage v rods for $6000 in Detroit importing them and selling them for $10000 to 12000 in Windsor......
    That's the problem we have here. More taxes and more expensive than states. Its crazy.
    I am re-budgetting my finances to get the one I like the most. Thanks for the offer to help. I am a frequent traveller to Windsor so definitely will look around there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cknowles View Post
    Don't try to justify a motorcycle purchase by fuel economy alone. Settling for anything other than what you really want will leave you hating whatever you settle for. If it's a Harley you crave then any Japanese bike will only be second best to you. I shopped for months and did the same thing you are doing, researching fuel economy, horsepower. I checked out the cycle ergo website to see how I'd fit on the different bikes etc. I went to the bike shows and sat on tons of different bikes even if they weren't my style. I got a much better feel for what I was looking for. New was never in my price range so I had to buy used.
    You are correct and resale of any new buy makes you lose a lot. I am searching a used one only. Vrod is over budget but sportster is manageable. Just in the process of grabbing more infos about it to know and understand it inside out.
    A second choice will always be second. Well said.

I'm riding an 07 750 shadow. Tank is about 12 litres I think and I get about 120 miles all city riding. Highway runs are a little more difficult as the final gear is pretty low so it revs pretty high so I don't think gas mileage wouldn't be much better than city.

I say ride what you love and pcik the size depending on the type of riding you'll be doing. I have two bikes...one for highway speeds and one for city rush hour.