Petcock problem

Thread: Petcock problem

Petcock problem

Recently when Ive gotten low on fuel and my bike gets that gas blip meaning its time for reserve, when I switch to reserve it takes over 1 KM to kick in. Usually I have to pull over as my bike runs dry then hit the starter until it gets some fuel again then Im good to go until I hit a gas station.

Any ideas on why it would take so long?

Have you taken off you petcock and had a look to see if anything is not normal?

Re: Petcock problem

My '94 Triumph Sprint was the same way. If you weren't quick to notice it would run dry before the reserve kicked in. I found out that to prime it when it runs dry you must turn it to reserve then press it inwards to allow the carbs to fill. This is because there is no vacuum to open the petcock.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

What do you mean press inwards.

I have a Trident which is the same as that sprint.

literally press the button in towards the centre of the bike. It only moves a couple of millimetres but allows the fuel to flow without vacuum.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill