Riding Mountains of Chile

Thread: Riding Mountains of Chile

Riding Mountains of Chile

For anyone into touring foreign lands while on vacation, wanted to share a picture from my honeymoon in Chile.

In between various hiking and geyser tours painstakingly planned by my lovely spouse, I clawed out 3 hours for a lovely bike excursion in mountains of San Pedro of Atacama.

Guided by Juan, owner of On Safari Atacama Motorbike Tours, it was my first dirt experience and a great adventure through some treacherous mountain roads...

If anyone is touring South America, or simply visiting the Atacama desert, I would certainly recommend both Juan and On Safari for an awesome adventure. Bikes were in good shape, place had decent gear selection and Juan (who was also recommended by our hiking tour guide) was a great English-speaking guide...

For more, check out www.onsafariatacama.com
    Last edited by gqelements; 04-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Re: Riding Mountains of Chile

Congratulations!! ..and thanks for the post & link. Looks like an awesome adventure.

Thanks for posting this. I was there over the winter holidays, and did some trail riding in the hills of Pucon. Incredible.
    I was actually looking for somewhere to get a bike to ride the sand dunes, but wasn't able to find anything.
    But this is definitely on my list of things to do.

Lucky bastard! My wife's not really into riding so we never went past La Serena.. Basically, hung around the central regions. Eventually I will get her to either hit Atacama on 2 wheels or just leave her with the in-laws and go by myself
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Surprisingly, Atacama was one of the highlights of our trip. Lots of tours and hiking to do in the area. Wife stayed at the 'resort' Atacama Aventure Eco Lodge while i went riding. Probably better that way, as never having been on dirt before, i was having a few "OH SSSSSH" moments in the beginning, and having a passenger would have killed the buzz rather quickly...

Juan (or JP) said he does regular tours into Bolivia and Argentina, so that may be an interesting thing to add to bucket list.... On mine now anyway.