You never know who you'll meet....

Thread: You never know who you'll meet....

You never know who you'll meet....

So today I finally got out for my first ride of the season. I know, most of you took full advantage of the crazy warm weather we had in March, but I didn't. I tackled a bunch of yearly yard work tasks so I could get them out of the way early and not have to worry about them later. Anyway, today I headed out for my first ride of the season. It was chilly, but I was bundled up and roded out to Madoc for a bowl of of their Tim Horton's Lasagna. When I got there, 2 Harleys pulled up and it turns out I knew one of them! Back in 1997 my Dad bought a Harley and rode with the Durham HOG chapter until 1999 when he sold the Harley after having had 3 major break downs in those 2.5 seasons. One of the guys I met at the Tim's was the president of the HOG chapter back then. I was very surprised and gladdened to hear that even though he only knew my Dad for a couple of years and hasn't seen him in over a decade, he not only remembered my Dad, he remembered my Mom and remembered how to spell our last name! (a rare thing) He, his riding companion and I went into the Tim's and had a bite to eat and a coffee and shared some great bike stories. No idea when or if I'll ever bump into him again, but it just goes to show you never know who you'll bump into while out on a bike.

I can't think of any other hobby or activity that can cause total strangers to chat for as much as an hour about said hobby after a chance encounter in a far away parking lot. You'll never see that with two golfers!
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Re: You never know who you'll meet....

Yeah it's one thing I really like about mcycling around the world - it lowers barriers and you do meet unlikely people.

Have a whole little network of knowledge and riders here in Australia now - met on line then went for a couple of rides - saved on from an out of gas on the highway the other day. Found out about excellent on and offroad routes .

Love to spend time up at the Shed near the Forks of the Credit
    http://www.theshedcoffeebar.com/
    as riders are there all the time and good chats ( and even some accidental Mac sales ) over coffee.
    Drop by if you are riding in the area - good coffee and good chat.

Was on my bicycle in South Africa in the small town I used to winter in and stopped for coffee.
    3 Harley riders stopped that were on rentals and touring and looking for a place to stay.
    Chatted for a bit and they ended up staying where I was. We had a good chit chat over coffee.
    Turned out one of them was a mining billionaire - !!!! who knew

Never would have crossed paths with him if not for motorcycle chat. Nice guy and they were grateful for the tip ( lovely spot I was in and not expensive ).
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here