Electrical issue..02 gsxr 600 need help!!!

Thread: Electrical issue..02 gsxr 600 need help!!!

Unhappy Electrical issue..02 gsxr 600 need help!!!

OK, soo i was stupid and did not take my battery out over winter. It was stored in december and it's been out for less than a week now. Anyways it started up perfect, right away the first few short rides. I took it out yesterday and when i stopped for a break I had to bump start it..it was turning over but didnt have enough juice so it seemed.

This morning it would hardly turn over, so i bumped it again and went for a ride. Well after about 30 mins it died on me at a red light. Pushed it off the road, and now there's nothing at all when i turn the key. No lights, gauges, nothing. Lucky I was on my way back home and was only about a 15 minute walk so I walked it home.

Now, I was just going to buy a new battery hoping that solves the issue, but I know there's something weird going on with the electrical on my bike because my headlight doesn't work but my beam does, And last summer, randomly maybe 2 or 3 times while riding I would lose power to my gauge cluster completely and then it was like it reset and went back to normal.?? I don't have a charger for the battery and I want to get this issue looked at by someone who knows what they're doing with electrical. I was planning on getting it to Ted at rosey toes but have no way to really get it there nor do I have a huge stack of cash to spend right now. Oh, and BTW the bike was down on the right side from the previous owner..its not bad , but maybe could have funked with wires somehow??

So does anyone here know maybe what kind of issues im looking at here/ may be able to help me out a bit or take a look?
    Lol its gotta be the worst weekend to ask... but any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks for reading!!
    2oo2 gsxr600

Re: Electrical issue..02 gsxr 600 need help!!!

mayb wires are pinched and shorting out because it was layed down. check to make sure your cluster connection isnt loose and while you at it you can grab a multi meter and check your battery and connections to find out whats giving you problems

electrical is a *****, most mechanics will spend hours looking for the problem costing you tons of dough, i ran into electrical problems with my old bike last year, and spent alot to get almost nowhere with it.
    2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 Black (ZX6R)
    2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 Silver (SOLD)
    2007 Suzuki SV650 "R" (SOLD)
    2004 Suzuki GSX600 Katana (SOLD)
    2001 Kawasaki ZZR250 Ninja (SOLD)

Sounds like either the stator or R/R not being able to keep up with the amount of electrical current needed to keep the bike running. If you have a multimeter check what voltage the battery is at now, that is a good place to start.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Battery is prob pooched....should be trickle charged and if problem is still there get it tested, Canadian tire will do it for free if ur low on cash. I had a similar prob with my lights and gauge cluster.....it was the connector for the front harness, it is on the right side below the air tube. Large white one, prob about 12 wires on each side.....mine was a bit corroded. Little electro cleaner and never had the problem since....hope this helps

I LOVE problems like these !!! :d

There are several things you can look at ....those gsxr's have some intresting issues that can be resolved...PM Me

Here's a couple of quick and easy tests with a volt-meter (el-cheapo crappy tire multimeter will do) to determine whether it's the battery or the charging system.

1) Fire up the engine (even if you have to jump-start it). Measure the voltage across the terminals with about 3000rpm. Should be in the 13-14.5 range. If it's too high, you're overcharging (probably bad VR - volatage regulator) if it's too low, your charging system isn't generating enough juice. If it's ok, move on to #2 (even if it's not you should still test the battery as undercharging/overcharging can still fry your battery)

2) Take the battery outta the bike, charge it up on the trickle charger. Take her off the charger, wait for an hour and measure the voltage across the terminal. Should be in the 12.5-12.8V range. If it's below, the battery could be the problem.

3) Leave the battery overnight and measure again. Was there a voltage drop? That could also indicate a bad battery

4) If everything seems fine on that end, repeat steps 2 and 3 with the battery on the bike. If there is a voltage drop, there is a parasitic drain and that becomes a gremlin-hunt. You gotta figure out which wire(s) and/or component(s) got damaged and are drawing current from your battery. (this is very rare but it's the next step if 1-3 don't give you an answer)

This is all simple, clean work. You might as well give it a shot before going to a mechanic.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Yea Im not really wanting to bring it to a mech right away..It was running ok before i put it away, so I am hoping its just the battery. This morning my gauges were working again and it was cranking but not enough juice to start. Should I just buy a charger and volt meter and go from there? Or just buy a new cheap battery?
    2oo2 gsxr600

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
    Yea Im not really wanting to bring it to a mech right away..It was running ok before i put it away, so I am hoping its just the battery. This morning my gauges were working again and it was cranking but not enough juice to start. Should I just buy a charger and volt meter and go from there? Or just buy a new cheap battery?
    Buy the multimeter from crappy tire.. Probably $10-15.. You will need a charger anyway. My recommendation is to spend the money on this one http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en and it will maintain your battery when the bike's out for the winter. This is the Cadillac, but worth the cash. If I haven't already bought one of these http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...attery-Charger (on sale for like $20 lol). Then I have to remember to go out to the garage and hook up the battery once a month.

Your battery most likely crapped out, but you still need a tool to maintain it and another tool to test it, so it's not like you're spending extra.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

http://www.tecmate-int.com/ENG/u_optimate_4_dual.php

The Cadilac of Cadilacs. Lol.
    Optimate 3 or newer 4!
    Available at most bike shops including, GPBikes, Royal Distributing, Riders Choice, bike dealers.
    In the $50 - $70 range. It also desulphates, can be left connected for months, checks the batteries state and charges appropriately....

The one Honda tells its dealers they must use prior to making a warranty claim.
    Many newer bikes have low amperage batteries, such as some sportbikes have a 7 amp battery and a charger that puts out 3 or more amps is too much for a trickle charger or most charging requirements for most motorcycles.
    Last edited by Ikan; 04-07-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

Just went to see glen a FS motorcycle..he's hooking me up with a new battery and on tuesday hes going to look at a few things/ check the battery and charging system..so Im sure ill know soon enough once i get this battery in this afternoon whether it was just the battery of if its more than that and the bike leaves me stranded again.
    2oo2 gsxr600

Glen's a great guy and I recommend him to everyone. Chances are you do need a new battery. But I still recommend that you know what's going on and that you maintain your batteries in the future.

yea i just got home from about an hour and a half ride with a new battery...bike wont start again. So its gotta be a charging issue??
    2oo2 gsxr600

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
    yea i just got home from about an hour and a half ride with a new battery...bike wont start again. So its gotta be a charging issue??
    Charging or wiring.. Most likely charging.. Did you test with a multimeter?