Fun times on cold tires and pavement. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun times on cold tires and pavement.

Re: Fun times on cold tires and pavement.

Got used to the 250? The extra 35hp caught you out maybe? It was chilly yesterday am, but it didn't look to me like you were too rough with the loud handle.....a spill on the street?
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Gonna have here up an running for Penn weekend Keith?
    As Gap in May
    What side mirror do you need, Luc has an extra one from his misfortune lol.
    Glad your ok bro .
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Got used to the 250? The extra 35hp caught you out maybe? It was chilly yesterday am, but it didn't look to me like you were too rough with the loud handle.....a spill on the street?
    I have to agree with you there. A little tweek of the throttle and down I go. It's the only possible explaination, the road was bone dry.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Gonna have here up an running for Penn weekend Keith?
    As Gap in May
    What side mirror do you need, Luc has an extra one from his misfortune lol.
    Glad your ok bro .
    Penn is doubtful at this point. I ordered the parts from Kawi, but I ordered the levers from China. Kawi says a week or two but there's no telling when the levers might be in. I wouldn't ride her without a new clutch lever anyway. I think Luc's mirror is a fairing mount and mine is a handle bar mount. Don't worry, it's all sorted. I'll post the "fix" pics when she's back up and running.
    New to me for 2012.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

That looks like that stinkin' paint that you have to do twice to get the colour right.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Just get some generic cheap levers for now..or used one from Zdeno...who cares if they're nice, as long as they're whole.
    Last edited by omnivore; 04-06-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Just get some generic cheap levers for now..or used one from Adeno...who cares if they're nice, as long as they're whole.
    Also missing the left footpeg. Not impossible to ride, just really hard.
    New to me for 2012.

Thanks everyone for your support. I did a walk around the next day and came to the conclusion that a combination of two things happened.
    1. Too much right hand action for the cold temps.
    2. As the back end was beginning to swing out, my back tire ran over one of these manhole covers which at 32F might as well have been a patch of ice, leaving no chance to recover the slide.
    That's all I can think of. Oh well, parts are on order and I live to ride another day.
    Last edited by killerkeith; 04-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    Thanks everyone for your support. I did a walk around the next day and came to the conclusion that a combination of two things happened.
    1. Too much right hand action for the cold temps.
    2. As the back end was beginning to swing out, my back tire ran over one of these manhole covers which at 32F might as well have been a patch of ice, leaving no chance to recover the slide.
    That's all I can think of. Oh well, parts are on order and I live to ride another day.

Sucks especially happening on a new bike.
    Those I learned to avoid manhole covers like the plague as I almost went down 2 weeks ago in the middle of a turn when I hit a manhole when it and the roads were wet(I think it was also below 5 degrees celcius) . Probably would've went down if it was anything other than a 125.

Last edited by PLau; 04-08-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Sucks especially happening on a new bike.
    Those I learned to avoid manhole covers like the plague as I almost went down 2 weeks ago in the middle of a turn when I hit a manhole when it and the roads were wet(I think it was also below 5 degrees celcius) . Probably would've went down if it was anything other than a 125.
    (you were asking for it !)

I think 250 would be ok too tho =)

I know no matter how much I ride, my riding skills is totally missing out on the throttle control. That is one thing we don't get to learn on our small bikes. I am just worried to run into trouble after an upgrade.

Gotta love the throttle on a Ninja 250 tho. Delay at MAX, response at MIN lol couldn't be safer..
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    (you were asking for it !)

I think 250 would be ok too tho =)

I know no matter how much I ride, my riding skills is totally missing out on the throttle control. That is one thing we don't get to learn on our small bikes. I am just worried to run into trouble after an upgrade.

Gotta love the throttle on a Ninja 250 tho. Delay at MAX, response at MIN lol couldn't be safer..
    Well... Live and learn right...? Can't really know the feeling of what happens or how to ride in certain conditions until you experience it and if that experience doesn't result in a crash, its all good. Like that time I went on a ride to Muskoka when the roads were covered in sand and I learned to take turns slow in gravel/sandy roads.

Correction: I think that day it was actually around 10-12 degrees.
    Last edited by PLau; 04-08-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    heart sank when i saw this. reminds me of my spill.
    glad you're ok.
    Mine too... :'( I haven't even taken my bike past 3rd gear... don't want to experience that.

Good thing your ok.

That really suck killerkeith, I wouldn't have seen that coming at all. You're a champ for posting. Glad you are ok

PLau, that's the second close call video you posted. I really hope you don't find the pavement. Ride safe!

if you need to get going i can most likely weld the foot peg back together. shoot me a pm if you want it done.

Quote Originally Posted by twostroke View Post
    if you need to get going i can most likely weld the foot peg back together. shoot me a pm if you want it done.
    Thanks for the offer, but I've got the winter beater back on the road for the short term.
    New to me for 2012.

Sweet Save PLau!
    New to me for 2012.

Probably would've went down if it was anything other than a 125.]
    How did you figure this one out?
    I believe a bigger tire would probably made it easier not to slide, more weight as well. I wonder if you based that on any fact or you just pull it out of your ***?

There is no need to rationalise the fact you bought a 125 which that statement, be proud of your choices
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    How did you figure this one out?
    I believe a bigger tire would probably made it easier not to slide, more weight as well. I wonder if you based that on any fact or you just pull it out of your ***?

There is no need to rationalise the fact you bought a 125 which that statement, be proud of your choices
    I've sat on a cbr600 before and know for a fact that a correction in a situation like that would have been extremely difficult on a bike 100lbs heavier as I kind of used my foot to save myself in that video. As for having a bigger tire...? I wouldn't really know but the fact that I hit the manhole dead center, I would have lost traction regardless.

And sorry if I was too general, I meant compared to bigger bikes like 500cc+
    Last edited by PLau; 04-08-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    That really suck killerkeith, I wouldn't have seen that coming at all. You're a champ for posting. Glad you are ok

PLau, that's the second close call video you posted. I really hope you don't find the pavement. Ride safe!
    Well after it happens once, I'm more aware of those hazards and learn to watch out for it in the future. Haven't hit the ground yet and hope that I won't anytime soon.
    Last edited by PLau; 04-08-2012 at 09:26 PM.

I've sat on a cbr600 before and know for a fact that a correction in a situation like that would have been extremely difficult on a bike 100lbs heavier as I kind of used my foot to save myself in that video. As for having a bigger tire...? I wouldn't really know but the fact that I hit the manhole dead center, I would have lost traction regardless.
    I see, you definitively have all the facts and can make such an statement (scaring other noobs into anything but a 125) because "you sat on a 600"
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services