insurance opinion please.

Thread: insurance opinion please.

insurance opinion please.

hi guys, first a little background.
    im 28 now, got my m1 then m2 through the gearing up program 6 years ago... yes 6...so it expired. why did it expire?
    well at age 22 i thought that i could just get a bike, get insurance and ride. sure in theroy you can, but beware of the money hungry insurance companies. the highest quote i ever got was $1000/month and had to pay in full for the year...
    so after a few weeks of getting slightly better quotes i gave up and my m2 faded away.
    UNTILL NOW!
    yesterday i got my M1, this week im back at humber for gearing up!
    i know ive taken it once and i could probably pass the ministry test but i get a $500 tax deductable course to go with my test... and i need some deductions! also, i havent been on a bike since the last course, and im no superhero...so i want some help getting back on 2 wheels.

so im looking at a 2007 and a 2008 Harley sportster 883.
    insurance quotes i got are about $550/ year with Wawanesa my car insurance company because i have a flawless record. infact they said they dont care about the cc once it hits 700 as long as its not a supersport, turbo or other performance bike (we will see how the V rod goes over once i get comfortable to buy one in a few years) it will only go up based on what i pay for the bike and what the new MSRP is. thats it. so its hard to compare with that, but ive also been with them for a few years, and my broker said they dont give motorcycle insurance to anyone new.

next was state farm looking at 140-160/month. they have the 2nd loswet quote and will insure me with my M1.

so i have 58 days till i can get my m2 back. course booked for next weekend.
    decision is do i get the state farm andpay the 2grand for the year then switch to wawanesa for next season?
    Do i just wait it out the $1500 in savings 2 months then insure and ride?

what happens if i start with state farm then switch to wawanesa after just say 3 months? is that possible? does it ruin my insurance record?

im still looking around, anyone else know of a place that will give a mature 28 year old on a harley 883 a cheap rate that i can use for the full year?
    i have a truck that i dont drive if that will qualify me for multiline discount to put that on storage, or renters insurance? what does that get me?

i think im going to call riders plus and primmium and see how they do.

has anyone called CAA?
    i think i can get a discount with Johnson INC for college alumni, and maybe a few other companies. im going to check to see if we get anything for CSSA and CFI
    one of them is through my work but ive been saying im going to quit for the last couple years.....every day...

ANY THOUGHTS?i would like to get the price around 100/month without haveing to move my main car over... if i have to move a car thats just on storage over thats fine.

Re: insurance opinion please.

SF will love you if you will move your car over to them. You'll get one of the cheapest bike insurance quotes, but be prepared to get screwed on the car (a little or a lot depends on the area where you live). If you have professional organization affiliation, check TD Meloche Monnex. I was insured with them with my M1, then with M2.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    SF will love you if you will move your car over to them. You'll get one of the cheapest bike insurance quotes, but be prepared to get screwed on the car (a little or a lot depends on the area where you live). If you have professional organization affiliation, check TD Meloche Monnex. I was insured with them with my M1, then with M2.
    NO TD MONNEX! i have a personal vendetta against them.... TD and all companies affiliated with TD will NEVER get a single cent of my money unless its pried out of my cold dead hands.

SF said 100/month for the bike if i move my car over... problem is my policy just renewed, so i would have a cancelation fee, then i wouldnt be able to put my bike with them next season for $550 ish a year...

SF.. speak with the agent i deal with. Bob Buzschak. located in brampton.

The HD should be very easy to find affordable rates for, especially since you are over 25yo. I suggest you start with my sticky and call some of the companies mentioned there. State Farm is cheap for sport bikes, but generally expensive for non-sport bikes. Did you try Jevco?

If it were me, I'd just wait the 60 days unless I could find a company that would write me for a similar rate to Wawanesa.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    The HD should be very easy to find affordable rates for, especially since you are over 25yo. I suggest you start with my sticky and call some of the companies mentioned there. State Farm is cheap for sport bikes, but generally expensive for non-sport bikes. Did you try Jevco?

If it were me, I'd just wait the 60 days unless I could find a company that would write me for a similar rate to Wawanesa.
    ive called a few places... and i cont understand why my friend with a bad record driving a sportster (1997 custom made aftermarket frame, 1200cc) is paying120 ish a month, but when i called his company they wanted 4 grand a year... that made no sense.
    im in mississauga, is the rates here really that much of a difference between here and Barrie??

anyway, my broker is trying to convince my insurance company to cover me right away because i HAD my m2 and im taking the safety course and test again this weekend. so its just a waiting game to get the actual m2 in the mail...
    ill know tomorrow or the day after what they say. fingers crossed!

i may just sign up with state farm then cancel the policy and switch to my current one as soon as my m2 comes in... i dont mind paying a little more right now, and to be honest, the 150/month with state farm was what i was expecting to pay before i called my other broker.

ive also got discounts optional with johnston inc and some other company as well. ill have to look them up ans see.
    maybe even call CAA insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by EaZ8 View Post
    ive called a few places... and i cont understand why my friend with a bad record driving a sportster (1997 custom made aftermarket frame, 1200cc) is paying120 ish a month, but when i called his company they wanted 4 grand a year... that made no sense.
    im in mississauga, is the rates here really that much of a difference between here and Barrie??

anyway, my broker is trying to convince my insurance company to cover me right away because i HAD my m2 and im taking the safety course and test again this weekend. so its just a waiting game to get the actual m2 in the mail...
    ill know tomorrow or the day after what they say. fingers crossed!

i may just sign up with state farm then cancel the policy and switch to my current one as soon as my m2 comes in... i dont mind paying a little more right now, and to be honest, the 150/month with state farm was what i was expecting to pay before i called my other broker.

ive also got discounts optional with johnston inc and some other company as well. ill have to look them up ans see.
    maybe even call CAA insurance.
    I'm sure there is something that you or your friend are overlooking regarding the premium differences.

Be sure that you read and fully understand my sticky post regarding State Farm cancellations before you commit to insuring with SF for only two months. You will be billed at level monthly payments of $150, but over April 15 to June 15 you'll actually be using up the following premium:

Premium Used from April 15 to June 15
    = [(0.50)(0.08 ) + (1.00)(0.12) + (0.50)(0.16)]*[($150)(12)]
    = $430

Riding from April 15 to June 15 will cost you $430 plus any short-cancellation penalty they may impose. This is significantly more than the $300 that you were probably expecting. I would rather wait a couple of months then pay about $500 for riding in weather that might not even be that great. Save the money and buy yourself a nice piece of gear as a reward
    Last edited by VifferFun; 04-11-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

That's about the price I was expecting.
    I read the thread a week ago about sf and canceling early.
    I figure even if I have to pay $600 for the 2 months that's fine, add the 550 for my new 12 month policy and I'm only at $1150 for 14months(82.14/month average) where the sf full year would cost $1800 @ 150/month.

I should hear back from my broker today, fingers crossed!

I called a few of the ones listed in the insurance thread, and riders plus even they wanted 3 grand or so because I'm a new rider.
    If my broker can't get my policy started ill probably wait till my m2 kicks in then start it. Ill put the saved money into new pipes and a aftermarket fender and tail light.

Quote Originally Posted by EaZ8 View Post
    That's about the price I was expecting.
    I read the thread a week ago about sf and canceling early.
    I figure even if I have to pay $600 for the 2 months that's fine, add the 550 for my new 12 month policy and I'm only at $1150 for 14months(82.14/month average) where the sf full year would cost $1800 @ 150/month.

I should hear back from my broker today, fingers crossed!

I called a few of the ones listed in the insurance thread, and riders plus even they wanted 3 grand or so because I'm a new rider.
    If my broker can't get my policy started ill probably wait till my m2 kicks in then start it. Ill put the saved money into new pipes and a aftermarket fender and tail light.
    I guess my priorities are different, but I wouldn't pay $600 for just two months of riding.