Looking for coolant recommendations for Yamaha street bike

Thread: Looking for coolant recommendations for Yamaha street bike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Looking for coolant recommendations for Yamaha street bike

Are you running a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water? Here's why I ask: Anti-freeze is 10 TIMES heavier than water! If you are running a 50/50 mix, your engine is working 5 times harder just to move the coolant mixture around than if you were running straight water. Of course, water is extremely corrosive, so you cannot run straight water, right? Put only enough anti-freeze in your system that will get it to the lowest temperature you expect it to reach. Add redline 'Water Wetter'. This breaks up the surface tension of the water, making it easier for the engine to move the fluid around. And use distilled water, which does not have the heavy mineral content that tap water does.
    Optimism, it makes nosense to hope for it simply to satisfy someone else's misguided concept.

Quote Originally Posted by imkruzen View Post
    Are you running a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water? Here's why I ask: Anti-freeze is 10 TIMES heavier than water!
    The density of ethylene glycol is 1.113 g/cm3, only 11% more than water , which is 1.000 g/cm3 by definition. The VISCOSITY, on the other hand, is much higher. The viscosity of a glycol/water mixture is not a linear relationship, though, and for reasonable mixing ratios it makes little difference to the amount of effort it takes to turn the water pump.

Compared to water, ethylene glycol has higher viscosity, somewhat higher density, about half the heat capacity, but a higher boiling point and lower freezing point.

I am running 50/50 mix (Honda Type II) coolant.

So I should top up the reservoir tank to max with distilled water?