SM wheel suggestions

Thread: SM wheel suggestions

SM wheel suggestions

So Machensini screwed me, I ordered a set of rims for my KX450F and they just told the person I bought them through, that they decided to redesign their rims. And therefore stopped production on the old style, and I wont be able to get them for several months! I am really set on having that style rims because I hate the MX spoked style rims, but I just spent 10 grand on the bike and really want to ride SM this summer not next summer...

So I am now looking for a different option, preferably something that can allow me to run tubeless...So any suggestions? On manufactures, where to buy them locally, and also what sizes I should get....As I see there are some options for width and possibly a 16.5 front...I spent $2600 on the Marchensinis so that is roughly my budget...

Re: SM wheel suggestions

excel wheels talon hubs is the way to go, marchesinis are goofy bling that bend

pete from Supermoto specialties can hook you up.

also, you may want to stick with 17 front for tire availability, the 16.5 is a FAR superior setup bit its a pain to get tires in Canada.

http://www.alpina-uk.com/

pricey, but best sm wheels available imo.

SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by Megomaniac View Post

http://www.alpina-uk.com/

pricey, but best sm wheels available imo.
    I was looking at the Alpina's and really like the look, and they seem really high quality, plus their tubeless tech seems like a winner too...

Marchensini called back and said they have a set left over for a KX250F, I checked the part numbers and the 250 and 450 use the exact same hubs. So I know they will fit my bike, just waiting back for them to send specs on the widths. If they fit Im lucky and they will ship those...If not Im going to look into a set of Alpinas or excels with billet hubs...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    So Machensini screwed me, I ordered a set of rims for my KX450F and they just told the person I bought them through, that they decided to redesign their rims. And therefore stopped production on the old style, and I wont be able to get them for several months! I am really set on having that style rims because I hate the MX spoked style rims, but I just spent 10 grand on the bike and really want to ride SM this summer not next summer...

So I am now looking for a different option, preferably something that can allow me to run tubeless...So any suggestions? On manufactures, where to buy them locally, and also what sizes I should get....As I see there are some options for width and possibly a 16.5 front...I spent $2600 on the Marchensinis so that is roughly my budget...

you know why they redesigned them right? I saw some threads online with cracking spokes, so they changed the spoke design in the y part of the spoke. but I've also seen a pic of a alpina hub with sprocket sheared off, I think it was due to loose sprocket bolts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Megomaniac View Post
    you know why they redesigned them right? I saw some threads online with cracking spokes, so they changed the spoke design in the y part of the spoke. but I've also seen a pic of a alpina hub with sprocket sheared off, I think it was due to loose sprocket bolts though.
    You can break any wheel, Ive seen pictures of Carrozzeria rims with every other spoke cracked right through. I have a set, crashed a few times and generally beat on them and have not had any problems...Tons of people have the Marchensinis and not everyone is breaking them, so Im not going to not buy them because some people have broken them...If they break then I'll buy something else...

this thread shows the area of redesign, before and after pics. from 2007 so might not be relevant.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...888#post416888