Insurance sucks for new riders:( - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance sucks for new riders:(

Re: Insurance sucks for new riders:(

you're talking about it being bad?? At 19 I paid 3500 bucks for my first year but at least I got a 250

I just got insured yesterday, first time being insured, 21yrs old riding a monster 1100cc gsxr. Jevco wanted $6000 ish over 6 months, Nordic also through J duffy wanted $4300 all at once. I got really lucky and fit the statefarm criteria, I am sacrificing $4100 a year to ride, with basic liability, yes thats $350 a month. But now I'm completely legal and out on the roads. First year of riding will cost

• If you just get Fire & Theft, you can't ride on the streets.
    • You can't get your bike insured in another province unless you actually live in another province.
    • For most insurers, they understand that the M1 is for only 3MO and so the M1 and M2 premiums are the same.
    • In most cases, the training certificate will not reduce your premium, but it may be required by an insurance company before they will agree to write you (especially for younger operators). Essentially, the "driver training" discount is already built into the insurance rates that you pay.
    • Premiums drop significantly with many companies at 25yo, but for most companies 23yo and 24yo pay the same rates (i.e. they are in the same band).
    • If you go with Jevco next year, your premium should be more affordable. They now have a multi-tiered experience rating -- 0yrs, 1yr, 2yr, and 3yr+
    • Combining your car insurance with your bike insurance will often save you up to 40% on your bike insurance.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    • If you just get Fire & Theft, you can't ride on the streets.
    • You can't get your bike insured in another province unless you actually live in another province.
    • For most insurers, they understand that the M1 is for only 3MO and so the M1 and M2 premiums are the same.
    • In most cases, the training certificate will not reduce your premium, but it may be required by an insurance company before they will agree to write you (especially for younger operators). Essentially, the "driver training" discount is already built into the insurance rates that you pay.
    • Premiums drop significantly with many companies at 25yo, but for most companies 23yo and 24yo pay the same rates (i.e. they are in the same band).
    • If you go with Jevco next year, your premium should be more affordable. They now have a multi-tiered experience rating -- 0yrs, 1yr, 2yr, and 3yr+
    • Combining your car insurance with your bike insurance will often save you up to 40% on your bike insurance.
    wow...thx i will see what i can do...

Quote Originally Posted by Lory_cbr View Post
    wow...thx i will see what i can do...
    told you he knew his stuff
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

I Currently have a M1 annd i called a few places asking aobut coverage for me on a FZ6R or a Ninja 650. 4000-6000$ a year?? .... Being a Noob sucks

do not get a bike the first year you get your license.

i had to pay 3500 for my GS500F last year and i was 23. made me /wrist. paying 2000 this year. there is a MASSIVE drop after the first year. it would have been 1600 but jevco decided to change their preferred rate policy :@

in general though, your m1 date + 1 year = jevco saves big $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    You can pull some strings to make this happen and still wind up paying a lot less than if you were to insure in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGSelenaGomez View Post
    You can pull some strings to make this happen and still wind up paying a lot less than if you were to insure in Ontario.
    Orangeville and Mount Albert knock your insurance pretty low too

riding is great but not worth getting gouged at that price for a 125cc. That cost as much as the bike. Your better off waiting next year after you have ur m2 and a year on the licence.

Lion

thx everyone who posted..... i decided to wait.....and learn first year....i can ride it on a street behind my house....close street and no traffic....today was actually my first day leaving the driveway i made some progress...anyways i wasnt ready to go on the road.. so im ok i can still ride it...and by june i will go get my m2 .. july going vacation... so august and september im gonna still ride and next year hopefully im gonna get a better quote for insurance:d

Quote Originally Posted by Lory_cbr View Post
    thx everyone who posted..... i decided to wait.....and learn first year....i can ride it on a street behind my house....close street and no traffic....today was actually my first day leaving the driveway i made some progress...anyways i wasnt ready to go on the road.. so im ok i can still ride it...and by june i will go get my m2 .. july going vacation... so august and september im gonna still ride and next year hopefully im gonna get a better quote for insurance:d
    Just don't get caught doing this otherwise you can say goodbye to riding for the next 7 years unless you're willing to pay stupid rates.

I wasn't willing to risk it so the most I rode on my bike was up and down my driveway trying to fix things up from the previous owner until my year was up (how saddening...).

The year of waiting is like jail time, especially on the early summer days.
    My bike: 82' Yamaha XS400R DOHC
    Happy 30th year!

Hmm, did you try statefarm? I just got my M1 in march as well, going for my M2 safety course on April 20th, I got one speeding ticket convicted 2 years ago, and got insurance on a CBR 250R for $63/month, but i'm 25 this year.

Living in Toronto.

you could also go riding with your friends (2up) or take it to a track. Though I hear once you go track you never go back :P

Didn't suck for me. I only had to pay $600 for my first year and it dropped to $350 the second. Many mitigating factors however; I was 54, the bike was 35 years old, 200 cc, and I don't live anywhere near the big smoke.

if u live with ur parents get them to get their m1 and go under their name as a secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    do not get a bike the first year you get your license.

i had to pay 3500 for my GS500F last year and i was 23. made me /wrist. paying 2000 this year. there is a MASSIVE drop after the first year. it would have been 1600 but jevco decided to change their preferred rate policy :@

in general though, your m1 date + 1 year = jevco saves big $$$$
    Jevco used to segregate as follows:

0 years licensed
    1+ years licensed

Now they segregate as follows:

0 years licensed
    1 year licensed
    2 years licensed
    3+ years licensed

This means the following:

People with 0 years licensed will see little premium change
    People with 1 year licensed will see a pretty large increase
    People with 2 years licensed will see a pretty increase
    People with 3+ years licensed will see a small decrease
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGSelenaGomez View Post
    There are no legal strings that can be pulled in such a fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    Orangeville and Mount Albert knock your insurance pretty low too
    Definitely for car insurance, but the difference in rates by territory is not nearly as significant for motorcycle insurance. Some companies don't ever rate motorcycles by territory at all.