LOL Lucky Day For Those In Court W3 At Eglinton!! (Toronto) - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LOL Lucky Day For Those In Court W3 At Eglinton!! (Toronto)

Re: LOL Lucky Day For Those In Court W3 At Eglinton!! (Toronto)

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Did the old school SKS only have a 5 round internal mag capacity as well?
    No. All standard issue models I ever heard of have a 10 round integral box magazine loaded with a stripper clip.

What kind of moron came up with a 5 round capacity limit? Those politicians don't know which side the gun is firing from...

I bump fired it from the hip once (thumb through the belt loop trick), emptied all 6 rounds faster than I could blink. That thing with 30 rounds full auto would be absolutely nuts!
    Too bad I didn't know about bump firing back in the day, I'm sure it would freak my CO out . I did something else equally inventive though. Previously fired but undamaged 7.62 TT pistol slugs were easy to come by when cleaning the sandy firing range and 7.62x39 blanks were issued with much less control than live ammo. A little manual breech loading and you have a pretty mean wildcat round .

I saw the anti tank grenade rounds online, and the "launcher" setup for the end of the gun! Seemed absolutely nuts to try and launch a greanade from the end of that thing!!
    I can't seem to find the data on the anti-tank grenade, but it was big and heavy. Here is a pretty decent depiction of how it was launched, except for the firing from the shoulder part:

And the sights:

The ranges on the left of the sight are for the lighter anti-personel grenade. That one could have been fired from the hip in a pinch, but I wouldn't shoulder it. Note that to lift the grenade launcher sight you need to move the gas cutoff valve button. That was done on purpose, in order to prevent the much more powerful powder charge from cycling the action and potentially damaging the rifle. I also think that the bolt would be pushed back before the grenade leaves the barrel which wouldn't be good either.

There were grenade launcher attachments for AK47 as well, but they were not integral to the weapon. I have seen them, but they were not issued to soldiers or ever used, even though our variant of AK47 came with a built in grenade launcher sight. I guess AK47 wouldn't last long if used like that, considering how much the entire weapon is flexing in regular use.

OMFG the recoil! Just about dislocated my shoulder!
    That blast sure is awesome . I'm sure recoil is comparable.

The M203 also came with a weird sight for using it with the gun stock resting on the ground, but I never figured out how it worked.
    Probably by using the muzzle or some other suitable part of the weapon as the front sight. With SKS it was the tip of the grenade itself. Pretty crude, but surprisingly accurate.

Well, we can consider this thread successfully hijacked. Who can argue with such a firepower?
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Don't worry about the sign you will be fine....

Quote Originally Posted by Kedo View Post
    There is no ammo, it's gone to the moon

Joking aside, that flash would give up one's position big time...
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

Quote Originally Posted by Kedo View Post
    That sign is referring to the two benches in that corner of the covered area. It's for working on your guns, etc., so they have a no ammo policy in that corner. Shooting from that end of the covered area is fine though, just no live ammo on the tables

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    There is no ammo, it's gone to the moon

Joking aside, that flash would give up one's position big time...
    That is one of my home cooked rounds, I used black powder (not "smokeless"), hence the muzzle flash. The "real" M203 rounds actually use a .40 blank handgun cartridge for propulsion, so I don't think there'd be much flame with that

My video of the above shot: http://likestuff.globat.com/guns/vid...ESA/mov00a.wmv (slowmo at the end )

I don't think you have to worry about giving away your position much in this use of the M203: Damn, I couldn't find the video I was looking for. It was from Iraq or where ever, some insurgents were shooting out the front window of a building. Some US troops walked up to the side window of the same room, the troop sticks the entire front half of his M16/M203 in the window with just enough left so he could reach the trigger of the M203. The troops were debating if the M203 would even go off because it has a minimum arming range but they decided to give it a try anyway. Thump... BOOM! It blew one of the insurgents right out the window that he shot the grenade through! Almost landed on the troops! The other two insurgents by the front window died as well. Was an amazing video showing the usefulness of the M203 in "clearing out a room"

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

That is one of my home cooked rounds, I used black powder (not "smokeless"), hence the muzzle flash. The "real" M203 rounds actually use a .40 blank handgun cartridge for propulsion, so I don't think there'd be much flame with that
    It did look suspicious, but I don't know that much about M203 so i thought...
    .40 blank wouldn't give much of a flash, if at all, especially considering that it needs to fill that barrel first

My video of the above shot: http://likestuff.globat.com/guns/vid...ESA/mov00a.wmv (slowmo at the end )
    "Fire in the hole" indeed

Was an amazing video showing the usefulness of the M203 in "clearing out a room"
    I would argue that a good old hand grenade would do a much better job in that particular case. They can't throw it back out if you hold it long enough :>. With little practice I was able to throw them so they explode before hitting the ground (a few feet above). Way more lethal that way. Thankfully I never had to throw a grenade at or shoot a living being.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I would argue that a good old hand grenade would do a much better job in that particular case. They can't throw it back out if you hold it long enough :>. With little practice I was able to throw them so they explode before hitting the ground (a few feet above). Way more lethal that way. Thankfully I never had to throw a grenade at or shoot a living being.
    No doubt! There was either talk in the video or in the comments about them only having flash bangs, no anti personnel grenades, so the M203 was the only option, or flash and bust in. I assume a hand grenade would be similar in explosive power, and probably throw more shrapnel, than the M203 HE round

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

I assume a hand grenade would be similar in explosive power, and probably throw more shrapnel, than the M203 HE round
    I'm not familiar with the parameters of M203 payload, but from my experience with hand grenades, it depends. We had two standard types:

- Defensive: 70g of TNT, thick steel jacket, usually "perforated" (for lack of a better term) from the inside.

- Offensive: 50g of TNT. plastic jacket with 200 or so BBs "cast" in it.

Defensive would throw fewer (about 20 or so, if memory serves me) but heavier and sharper shrapnel that would do a lot of damage to whatever it hits. The explosion was bigger and so was the range, from what I could see (I heard those shrapnel flying over my head a hundred meters from where the grenade exploded).

Offensive would spray the entire area with pellets, but they were small and lost their momentum pretty fast. I'd say that the damage was more from the blast than from the pellets. I remember a case when two of these were thrown into a 600sqft coffee shop full of patrons and didn't kill anyone.

I asked myself why is the weaker one "offensive" because it didn't make much sense. The only reason I can come up with is that the defensive one is intended to be thrown out from a shielded defensive position, like a ditch, a bunker or similar. In that case it doesn't matter much if you are within deadly radius of your own shrapnel. In the attack situation however, you are most often throwing against a fortified enemy, so you would like to be able to survive in case you miss that window. Also, if you throw it in an open field you'd want to be damn sure it's not lethal beyond about 50m, because that's how far you can throw it .
    Last edited by Vlad; 04-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.

I'm thinking that I'll split this off the the "I know you ride, but do you shoot" thread
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I'm thinking that I'll split this off the the "I know you ride, but do you shoot" thread
    lol. Sorry for the epic thread hijack

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^