Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
Did the old school SKS only have a 5 round internal mag capacity as well?
No. All standard issue models I ever heard of have a 10 round integral box magazine loaded with a stripper clip.

What kind of moron came up with a 5 round capacity limit? Those politicians don't know which side the gun is firing from...

I bump fired it from the hip once (thumb through the belt loop trick), emptied all 6 rounds faster than I could blink. That thing with 30 rounds full auto would be absolutely nuts!
Too bad I didn't know about bump firing back in the day, I'm sure it would freak my CO out . I did something else equally inventive though. Previously fired but undamaged 7.62 TT pistol slugs were easy to come by when cleaning the sandy firing range and 7.62x39 blanks were issued with much less control than live ammo. A little manual breech loading and you have a pretty mean wildcat round .

I saw the anti tank grenade rounds online, and the "launcher" setup for the end of the gun! Seemed absolutely nuts to try and launch a greanade from the end of that thing!!
I can't seem to find the data on the anti-tank grenade, but it was big and heavy. Here is a pretty decent depiction of how it was launched, except for the firing from the shoulder part:

And the sights:

The ranges on the left of the sight are for the lighter anti-personel grenade. That one could have been fired from the hip in a pinch, but I wouldn't shoulder it. Note that to lift the grenade launcher sight you need to move the gas cutoff valve button. That was done on purpose, in order to prevent the much more powerful powder charge from cycling the action and potentially damaging the rifle. I also think that the bolt would be pushed back before the grenade leaves the barrel which wouldn't be good either.

There were grenade launcher attachments for AK47 as well, but they were not integral to the weapon. I have seen them, but they were not issued to soldiers or ever used, even though our variant of AK47 came with a built in grenade launcher sight. I guess AK47 wouldn't last long if used like that, considering how much the entire weapon is flexing in regular use.

OMFG the recoil! Just about dislocated my shoulder!
That blast sure is awesome . I'm sure recoil is comparable.

The M203 also came with a weird sight for using it with the gun stock resting on the ground, but I never figured out how it worked.
Probably by using the muzzle or some other suitable part of the weapon as the front sight. With SKS it was the tip of the grenade itself. Pretty crude, but surprisingly accurate.

Well, we can consider this thread successfully hijacked. Who can argue with such a firepower?