Thinking of getting into dirt - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of getting into dirt

Re: Thinking of getting into dirt

Quote Originally Posted by padu View Post
    From what I haven seen you can get a 2stroke 250 and a 200. I don't get where your coming from. I have decided on a 2stroke. My question is if I'm going to buy a ktm 200 is it worth just getting a 250? Type of ridding I'm looking at doing is single track ridding.
    OK - just making sure as it seems there are usually a lot more 250 4 strokes for sale than 2 strokes. When you said "I find a lot of 250s for sale should I just upgrade" I wanted to make sure you weren't thinking a 250 4 stroke was an upgrade from a 200 2 stroke.

Have you actually ridden a 2 stroke before? Until you ride one, you shouldn't assume it's what you want.

Remember - a 250 2 stroke is similar to a 450 four stroke (but not similar in power delivery). A 250 two stroke is definitely a machine that commands respect... But hey, if you want to go all out look for a cr500
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

The KTM 200 and a 250 2 stroke are differently built machines. The 200 is designed as a single track bike. The power band is Designed for it, the suspension and frame geometry is designed for it.
    A 250 motocross bike is designed for higher speeds, and the power band reflects it. The suspension is stiffer and the frame isn't designed for the low speed tight turn stability.

Single track is more of a flow and finesse thing, mx is more of an in your face, brute force style if that makes sense.
    Both forms of riding are great, and equally challenging, just in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    OK - just making sure as it seems there are usually a lot more 250 4 strokes for sale than 2 strokes. When you said "I find a lot of 250s for sale should I just upgrade" I wanted to make sure you weren't thinking a 250 4 stroke was an upgrade from a 200 2 stroke.

Have you actually ridden a 2 stroke before? Until you ride one, you shouldn't assume it's what you want.

Remember - a 250 2 stroke is similar to a 450 four stroke (but not similar in power delivery). A 250 two stroke is definitely a machine that commands respect... But hey, if you want to go all out look for a cr500
    lol i'll hold on the cr500. I get what you guys are saying, I was just looking at it from the point of if I ever would want to upgrade I would have gotten a 250 right off the bat. The more I look at it the ktm 200 seems to be what i want, As for ridding a 2 stroke yes I have years ago and from what I can remember the power hits hard, What I also need is to sit my *** on a 200 and see if I like the feel, I have to find someone with one in stock,

Quote Originally Posted by padu View Post
    lol i'll hold on the cr500. I get what you guys are saying, I was just looking at it from the point of if I ever would want to upgrade I would have gotten a 250 right off the bat. The more I look at it the ktm 200 seems to be what i want, As for ridding a 2 stroke yes I have years ago and from what I can remember the power hits hard, What I also need is to sit my *** on a 200 and see if I like the feel, I have to find someone with one in stock,
    I would trade my 400 exc for a 200 xc-w, the bike has more than enough power for single track.

You wont be sitting on your *** much, so dont bother, none of these bikes are comfortable in the respect. Your not buying a street bike here.

KTMs per say are known to have a little more power than most other 2strokes so a 200 is good for single track,plus its a little lighter than a 250.As I said before KTM has a adjustable powervalve so you can tune the hit from mild to wild.I tought a newb friend of mine to ride on a YZ250 a few years ago and he did ok,you can fatten up the jetting a little and add a 13oz. FWW and a bit more throttle play to make it more easy to trail ride a MX bike.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

A modern 2 stroke doesn't have the abrupt power the older models did. You'll probably end up off in the bush if you try starting on a mx 250. If you haven't ridden much dirt it's not the bike to ride in single track, fire roads sure (still alot of bike, 5th gear wheelies are a tap of the clutch away). The ktm will be easier to ride but still powerful enough. Also, mx bikes make pretty good trail bikes if you set them up properly.

FYI, I'm at or below 200lbs during the ride season, I would say I'm experienced on dirt, grew up riding every type of off road toy and I've been racing mx for my 3rd season now.
    Im on a 2010 yz250f (four stroke) and I don't need to "upgrade" power wise. I race against 450s all the time, and beat them regularly so you don't "need" more power, and it's not like you will instantly want to upgrade.
    i just spent $1500 on upgrades, and not a penny was in power mods, it was all suspension, so no, power isnt everything.

what would you guys say about a ktm sx150 ? good bike?

Modern 2 stroke, light and flickable.
    Sounds like lotsof guys like them.
    This past weekend, fastest guy on the track was on a 2012 sx250. He was railin it.

Id be using it for trail riding. tight trail riding, Its that or a 200 xcw but cant seem to find any for sale

I'm in the same boat as you, except I've ridden and owned 250 2 stroke mx bikes. I'm currently looking at getting the KTM 300XC or XC-W, they will run you about $10,200-10,800 brand new out the door. I've checked prices at Apex in Waterloo and GP in Whitby, just waiting for enough funds to afford one or hopefully find one a little cheaper. Ross Rocher in Stratford does sell his Berg's, Husky's, and GAS GAS at rock bottom prices. Problem with that is he ruins the re-sale on these bikes, and good luck trying to trade one in again anywhere else. I looked at GAS GAS EC300, but after talking with my mechanic he persuaded me not to because there is no dealer network and parts could be difficult to obtain in a pinch.

My reccomendation, is the 200, 250, or 300 XC. If you've never ridden before, start at the 200 for this year and trade the bike in at the beginning of next season at the dealership and upgrade. Financially and for peace of mind, that's the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Ross Rocher in Stratford does sell his Berg's, Husky's, and GAS GAS at rock bottom prices. Problem with that is he ruins the re-sale on these bikes, and good luck trying to trade one in again anywhere else.
    LOL, are you _really_ complaining about a dealer selling bikes inexpensively?!?!?
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Lol, I guess your right, that was a bit silly of me!?!? I do feel that the Suzuki of Newmarket and now Brampton, approach to selling bikes, does hurt the industry a little bit. Ross Rocher is definitely a smaller scale. I just feel sorry for guys who wind up in a pinch and have to sell there 1 year old bike at like 50% of what they paid for it 1 year ago. I've come to terms with riding dirt bikes usually costs between $1000-3000 in either repairs, upgrades, or trade ins each and every year. An expensive hobby but a lot of fun.

http://www.scorra.ca/ Lots of riding in Simcoe, some in Halton.

Trailtours does a great job of off-road teaching/training in the Ganaraska.

You don't need a KTM to start trail riding. Go cheap and easy with an XR250, CRF230F, KDX200, TTR250, etc.

Plenty competent, cheap to buy, cheap to run.

Quote Originally Posted by jonl View Post
    http://www.scorra.ca/ Lots of riding in Simcoe, some in Halton.

Trailtours does a great job of off-road teaching/training in the Ganaraska.

You don't need a KTM to start trail riding. Go cheap and easy with an XR250, CRF230F, KDX200, TTR250, etc.

Plenty competent, cheap to buy, cheap to run.
    The only one in that list I would consider is the KDX and simply because of the motor outshines all the rest of those. I think it would have the best suspension out of all of those too.

a WR250 is worth a look. I remember a guy a few years ago racing an older one (maybe an 03) with MX and he did pretty well on it.

Check out odsc they have plenty of used bikes for sale there.http://www.odsc.on.ca
    sx150 needs to be revved to make power.
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 05-01-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad