Thinking of getting into dirt

Thread: Thinking of getting into dirt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Thinking of getting into dirt

FYI, I'm at or below 200lbs during the ride season, I would say I'm experienced on dirt, grew up riding every type of off road toy and I've been racing mx for my 3rd season now.
    Im on a 2010 yz250f (four stroke) and I don't need to "upgrade" power wise. I race against 450s all the time, and beat them regularly so you don't "need" more power, and it's not like you will instantly want to upgrade.
    i just spent $1500 on upgrades, and not a penny was in power mods, it was all suspension, so no, power isnt everything.

what would you guys say about a ktm sx150 ? good bike?

Modern 2 stroke, light and flickable.
    Sounds like lotsof guys like them.
    This past weekend, fastest guy on the track was on a 2012 sx250. He was railin it.

Id be using it for trail riding. tight trail riding, Its that or a 200 xcw but cant seem to find any for sale

I'm in the same boat as you, except I've ridden and owned 250 2 stroke mx bikes. I'm currently looking at getting the KTM 300XC or XC-W, they will run you about $10,200-10,800 brand new out the door. I've checked prices at Apex in Waterloo and GP in Whitby, just waiting for enough funds to afford one or hopefully find one a little cheaper. Ross Rocher in Stratford does sell his Berg's, Husky's, and GAS GAS at rock bottom prices. Problem with that is he ruins the re-sale on these bikes, and good luck trying to trade one in again anywhere else. I looked at GAS GAS EC300, but after talking with my mechanic he persuaded me not to because there is no dealer network and parts could be difficult to obtain in a pinch.

My reccomendation, is the 200, 250, or 300 XC. If you've never ridden before, start at the 200 for this year and trade the bike in at the beginning of next season at the dealership and upgrade. Financially and for peace of mind, that's the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Ross Rocher in Stratford does sell his Berg's, Husky's, and GAS GAS at rock bottom prices. Problem with that is he ruins the re-sale on these bikes, and good luck trying to trade one in again anywhere else.
    LOL, are you _really_ complaining about a dealer selling bikes inexpensively?!?!?
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Lol, I guess your right, that was a bit silly of me!?!? I do feel that the Suzuki of Newmarket and now Brampton, approach to selling bikes, does hurt the industry a little bit. Ross Rocher is definitely a smaller scale. I just feel sorry for guys who wind up in a pinch and have to sell there 1 year old bike at like 50% of what they paid for it 1 year ago. I've come to terms with riding dirt bikes usually costs between $1000-3000 in either repairs, upgrades, or trade ins each and every year. An expensive hobby but a lot of fun.