Thinking of getting into dirt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting into dirt

Thinking of getting into dirt

I'm thinking of getting into dirt bikes now my question is what size of a bike ? I'm 5,9200lbs second question is where would I ride? I live in Toronto

Re: Thinking of getting into dirt

What style of riding do you want to do? Trails, Motocross, do you want a blue plated bike that you can ride on the street too?

5,9200 lbs! Wait, is that a real number? lol

Subscribed. I've been thinking of getting into dirt too but need to try it first.

Before you invest into a bike have a good look at how you get your bike to the riding area (trailer or truck) if you dont have a dual sport.And if you have dependable riding buddy or club to ride with.It gets pretty boring riding on your own.I ride usually every weekend and live 30 minutes from the ganny so it works for me.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

I have a truck and a trailer, that isnt the problem, As for the type of riding I'm thinking single track, What do you guys recomend, also where would I ride?

Quote Originally Posted by padu View Post
    I have a truck and a trailer, that isnt the problem, As for the type of riding I'm thinking single track, What do you guys recomend, also where would I ride?
    I would really recommend you take some lessons at trailtours,they also have a very good bike selection.That way you can decide if you like the power delivery of a lighter 2stroke or the more bottom end of a 4stroke.Also budget has alot to do with what kind of bike you will be able to afford.As for riding,I would say most people from Toronto ride at Ganaraska Forest.You need to get a offroad plate and insurance and a forest membership to ride there.

Can I get a blue plate for any dirt bike? and whats insurance cost on average ?

Most dual sport you can get blue plated and some newer dirt bikes I believe.You need a motorcycle license to get a blue plate and insurance depends on bike,years of riding and age.I feel dual sport bikes are a compromise,you neither get a good dirt or street bike.It really depends what you want to do.

There is no "blue plating" dirtbikes as of a couple years ago. You can find some grandfathered bikes out there, but they are getting less common and people seem to want a premium for them.

If you want a singletrack capable road legal bike you will want to either look at KTM or Husky. But you'll sacrifice road capabilities for it.

A DRZ400 can do it just fine. But they are a bit on the heavy side at just over 300lbs.

I wouldn't bother with any of the road legal 650s if singletrack is what you are after.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

I don't want a road legal dirt bike. I just wanna know if I need one to go to the granny ? As for budget I don't have one. Just trying to see what are the pros and cons of 2strokes and 4 strokes and where I can ride and what I need

You dont need a blue plate for ganny.

I would suggest looking at something like a ktm 200 xc-w. 2 stroke, nice and light, amazing single track bike.

I own a ktm 400 and wish I would have bought the 200 I passed up for the 400 4 stroke.

For single track I would be looking at a purpose built bike like a KTM or GasGas,it still depends if you like 2 or 4 stroke.Personally I went 2stroke as its a little less maintenance(no valves to check,not as many oil changes)plus on a KTM you can adjust the power valve for your performance preference.A Yamaha YZ250 also makes a good trail bike with minimum effort and should be cheaper than a KTM.The good thing about the Yamaha is the desighn has'nt changed much since 03,mostly only the suspension got a little better every year.Ross Rocher has some very good deals on 2011 GasGas bikes.
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 04-06-2012 at 06:28 PM.

I never heard of Gas gas, Who makes the bike? Is it easy to find parts?

If you don't have any dirt experience a 250 two stroke mx bike will be a handful for you in the single track. As someone stated somthing like the 200xc from ktm would be a great bike.

05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Looks like a killer bike, Im looking at getting a 200cc ktm, My question is I find alot of 250s forsale should I just upgrade and get a 250? Also what can I expect to pay for insurance on a 200 or 250?

I'll be posting my 03 KTM 125sx for sale soon, once I pull it out of storage and clean her up.
    2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by padu View Post
    Looks like a killer bike, Im looking at getting a 200cc ktm, My question is I find alot of 250s forsale should I just upgrade and get a 250? Also what can I expect to pay for insurance on a 200 or 250?
    You DO know the difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke right??? Seems to me you need to spend a lot of time on Google...
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

From what I haven seen you can get a 2stroke 250 and a 200. I don't get where your coming from. I have decided on a 2stroke. My question is if I'm going to buy a ktm 200 is it worth just getting a 250? Type of ridding I'm looking at doing is single track ridding.