Wow - massive price differences between The Personal and other companies

Thread: Wow - massive price differences between The Personal and other companies

• Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Wow - massive price differences between The Personal and other companies

So I'm moving from Guelph area to Toronto and The Personal tells me my insurance is going to go up by $412/yr. Figured I should shop around a bit since the last time I got a quote there were several companies within a few hundred of their number so maybe something else is more competitive in the GTA.

Well so far I'm getting quotes up around $6000-8000 from everyone else. My current policy is $3034/yr and it's going up to $3446/yr. Why is everyone else suddenly so high? Even with a Union discount for RBC and a pile of other discounts (including a discount for getting renter's insurance which The Personal does not offer) their quote was $7531/yr without the bike (they won't insure me as I am a few months short of having 3 years experience). StateFarm quoted $5953/yr (with the bike, includes an extra discount for having renter's insurance with them). Last time SF was within $300/yr of The Personal and would have been even closer with the extra discount.

What's up with these rates? Can anyone recommend a company that might be more competitive with The Personal?

Here's what I've got insured:
    1987 Porsche 944 (non S, non turbo)
    1997 Saab 900se, 5 dr hatch, 2.0 turbo
    2009 Ninja 650R
    $1 mil liability, comprehensive, no collision, $500 deductible. All vehicles insured year round. All parked in private driveway.

27 year old single male, no tickets on record, no at fault accidents on record (I believe there are 2 not at faults still on record). GM2 license. Also took a "skid school" driving course last year. Doing the M2 exit course/test sometime within the next few months.
    Last edited by unL33T; 04-04-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.