Gas prices expected to soar overnight - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices expected to soar overnight

Re: Gas prices expected to soar overnight

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    Pedestrian oriented streets can be built among condos. Think of King Street. As long as they don't design streets like at Spadina and Bremner (CityPlace) then I'll be happy.

Also, the demand for medium density housing should skyrocket in all of the suburban centres as well. Instead of working and living in downtown Toronto, people would commute to downtown Oakville or downtown Oshawa where their jobs would move to (as a result of commercial development to keep people in the suburbs). I've already noticed a few condominiums going up in Aurora as well.
    If you can get used to the noise and the smell I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    In your world how are people all of a sudden going to be able to afford housing that is two or three times what they cost outside the city?
    They're not. Downsizing is necessary if they want to live in Toronto. Nobody needs to live in giant McMansions. Alternatively, working in their suburb (such as from home or from an office there) wouldn't require them to move at all.

If you are such an environmentalist I suggest you stop riding a motorbike for pleasure.
    Why? I can afford to do it. And I'll continue to do so as long as I can afford it.

An individual choosing to not ride a motorcycle or drive their Ferrari for pleasure won't make any difference at all to the environment. But millions of people who suddenly can't afford their luxuries (such as recreational vehicles, gasoline, and large houses/long commutes) who are forced to stop buying/consuming will make a massive difference.

Edit: reworded a couple of sentences.
    Last edited by jonpurdy; 04-03-2012 at 08:58 PM.

They're not. Downsizing is necessary if they want to live in Toronto. Nobody needs to live in giant McMansions. Alternatively, working in their suburb (such as from home or from an office there) wouldn't require them to move at all.

Why? I can afford to do it. And I'll continue to do so as long as I can afford it.

An individual choosing to not ride a motorcycle or drive their Ferrari for pleasure won't make any difference at all to the environment. But millions of people who suddenly can't afford their luxuries (such as recreational vehicles, gasoline, and large houses/long commutes) will be forced to change.
    Do you realize there is public transportation too and from most of the suburb areas.

This is pure price gouging, and nothing more. It cost me $1000 a month for gas now. I guess it's time for people to fill and run. Last yr when prices reached 1.40 fill and dashing jumped and prices dropped fairly quick. The oil companies do this all the time. Our gutless government won't do ****.
    Funny there's no increase in Alberta, Ottawa will be 7 cents cheaper.

An individual choosing to not ride a motorcycle or drive their Ferrari for pleasure won't make any difference at all to the environment. But millions of people who suddenly can't afford their luxuries (such as recreational vehicles, gasoline, and large houses/long commutes) who are forced to stop buying/consuming will make a massive difference.
    Yes, let's build all new housing in Toronto so everyone outside the city can move there, then let's let all those now vacant houses rot. Sounds great for the environment!

How about the govt build some higher speed train lines like most of Europe, china and Japan have? Oh right, cause they like collecting the taxes on gas!

If you want people to stop using gas, don't be a hypocrite.
    Last edited by murf; 04-03-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Yes, let's build all new housing in Toronto so everyone outside the city can move there, then let's let all those now vacant houses rot. Sounds great for the environment!
    I don't think your following what I've posted in this thread.

I don't want to build new housing in Toronto:
    The demand for medium density housing should skyrocket in all of the suburban centres as well. Instead of working and living in downtown Toronto, people would commute to downtown Oakville or downtown Oshawa where their jobs would move to (as a result of commercial development to keep people in the suburbs).

I'm suggesting that people should work out in the suburbs. This would require investments in commercial development by businesses and government looking to prevent rush hour commutes and the resulting pollution.

How about the govt build some higher speed train lines like most of Europe, china and Japan have? Oh right, cause they like collecting the taxes on gas!
    That's a great idea. I lived in Korea for three years and was treated to the pleasure of subway networks that were fast, clean, and serviced most areas of cities. I was also able to ride on a train that went 300 km/hr to all the major centres in Korea. Most of the time, I chose to ride my motorbike

If you want people to stop using gas, don't be a hypocrite.
    I've already stated my position here:
    So I'll stop when I can't afford to anymore. And so will most people; that's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by oilycreek View Post
    This is pure price gouging, and nothing more. It cost me $1000 a month for gas now. I guess it's time for people to fill and run. Last yr when prices reached 1.40 fill and dashing jumped and prices dropped fairly quick. The oil companies do this all the time. Our gutless government won't do ****.
    Right on time!!
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I'm afraid in many cases it's not their choice.

I'm sure you heard about the little house that sold for 1.1 million ($400k over asking) that was bought by wealthy Chinese. Do you really think the average Canadian can compete with that? There are countries such as Austria that don't allow foreigners to buy property to make it more affordable for its citizens.
    I'd like to see what kind of little houses are going for $600k+ in the GTA, if you don't mind. I can understand the reasons for property ownership (I hope to be one someday but am renting to be closer to everything I need, especially work) but it isn't an entitlement. A choice is a choice, if folks want to be far and away from where they need to be then the sad reality is that petro companies own them.
    If people really hated foreign ownership, they'd organize a citizens group and talk to their MP about it.
    Current: '04 Suzuki SV650n
    '06 Honda CBR F4i
    '06 Suzuki GS500F: Gone but not forgotten

Our dependence on oil is a result of our entire infrastructure being built around oil that was priced so low it wasn't even taken into consideration. Our generation has to pay for the decisions made so long ago.

Would I like to take the bus to work? Or course I would. Can I take the bus? No, I can't, because work at home are too far away to make the bus a reasonable option... see above.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    I'd like to see what kind of little houses are going for $600k+ in the GTA, if you don't mind. .
    Are you kidding me? You didn't see this?

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/ho...service=mobile

And I'm sure Canadian citizens love the fact that foreigners are increasing realestate values to the point they are unaffordable in Toronto and Vancouver. 12 times leveraged is a good thing I guess?

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i...service=mobile

"Moreover, average house prices are now 12 times personal disposable income, way above historical averages. This ratio reached 9.7 times in the last housing bubble in the late 1980s"
    Last edited by murf; 04-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.

an individual wont make a difference but lots of individuals make a massive difference? .........what?

Quote Originally Posted by oilycreek View Post
    Group ride???

We all fill up and hit the twisties
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    So stop complaining! It's reality..it's not going to change. You can yell at the wind all you want but it's still going to blow.
    First it starts with complaining, then it escalates into a full fledged revolution. Ask Fidel Castro
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    First it starts with complaining, then it escalates into a full fledged revolution. Ask Fidel Castro

http://ecomodder.com/blog/a-672-electric-car/

my friend and I starting this project with a bettle. stop waiting for the government and auto companies. So many people have buit their own electric cars. RISE UP! Tesla made a turbine from cardboard!

Narrow minded people are the ones who see the motorist complaing about the gas and think they are only complaining because it impacts their fill-ups. The motorist that is complaining see's the big picture. Even if he doesnt use a liter of gas in his vehicle this will impact him financially and in a huge way.

EVERYTHING is produced from oil or oil is used in its transportation. Canada could cease to use gasoline and diesel and it wont matter. The price of oil will keep rising due to demand in the Asia which will in turn raise the cost of making things...

The narrow minded guy who says "oooh, higher prices just means we'll consume less" is dumber than i thought. The entire infrastructure and our economy is based on consumption and increase of it. People stop spending and consuming and you think the economic collapse of 2008 was bad?

The entire system needs to be revamped. When the oil companies have to keep showing an INCREASE in profit of-course the prices have to go up...its a screwed up system where unless your publicly traded company can show an INCREASE in profit, not just profit, but an actual increase in profit from last year, its shares value plummets...Go ask your boss for an ever increasing yearly raise and see for how long u're gonna get it.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    So stop complaining! It's reality..it's not going to change. You can yell at the wind all you want but it's still going to blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by rutakin View Post
    http://ecomodder.com/blog/a-672-electric-car/

my friend and I starting this project with a bettle. stop waiting for the government and auto companies. So many people have buit their own electric cars. RISE UP! Tesla made a turbine from cardboard!
    I've been thinking ahead too:
    http://www.greasebenz.com/
    http://www.noendpress.com/caleb/biodiesel/index.php

I just need more time and an extra hand
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    Narrow minded people are the ones who see the motorist complaing about the gas and think they are only complaining because it impacts their fill-ups. The motorist that is complaining see's the big picture. Even if he doesnt use a liter of gas in his vehicle this will impact him financially and in a huge way.

EVERYTHING is produced from oil or oil is used in its transportation. Canada could cease to use gasoline and diesel and it wont matter. The price of oil will keep rising due to demand in the Asia which will in turn raise the cost of making things...

The narrow minded guy who says "oooh, higher prices just means we'll consume less" is dumber than i thought. The entire infrastructure and our economy is based on consumption and increase of it. People stop spending and consuming and you think the economic collapse of 2008 was bad?

The entire system needs to be revamped. When the oil companies have to keep showing an INCREASE in profit of-course the prices have to go up...its a screwed up system where unless your publicly traded company can show an INCREASE in profit, not just profit, but an actual increase in profit from last year, its shares value plummets...Go ask your boss for an ever increasing yearly raise and see for how long u're gonna get it.
    Yeah..and?? "Revamp"?? How? Explain..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Anyone remember this??

Exxon Chairman's $400 Million Parachute
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PainAtTheP...ory?id=1841989

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post

One of the reasons for the recession was the sudden increase in the price of oil.

Alot of ppl don't realise alot of chemicals and plastics are produced from crude. They don't see the dependability of crude yet. It literally fuels the Industrial machine
    Resident Loudmouth

The real problem is the Federal government thinks we should be building pipelines to ship our crude to other markets instead of building refinerys to keep our own oil within our borders. It seems to think sending it away (to Asian markets and the US) and then buying it back refined is our future because....

"North American demand for petroleum is declining and is expected to remain flat driven by increasing fuel-efficiency standards, demographics and the development of alternative fuels, according to Peter Boag, president of the Canadian Petroleum Products Institute."

“It’s hard to justify spending $7 billion on a new refinery when there is already more than enough supply on the continent,” Boag told MPs.

Apparently, because we are not running every refinery at full out production level we don't have a problem.

Madness.

1.269 last night and it's 1.399 today in Kingston.

I think we are going to see a flinch like the first time it shot up to 1.30. Honestly, it's knee jerk reaction.
    Last edited by D23; 04-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.