Gas prices expected to soar overnight - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices expected to soar overnight

Re: Gas prices expected to soar overnight

Quote Originally Posted by 01cbr View Post
    My service van gets horrible fuel mileage, our bucket trucks are even worse.

I would hate to be a customer who needs electrical work in the future.

We are all getting the shaft.
    How are we getting the shaft? Because a commodity is suffering limited supply?? It's reality. Yup, stuff's gonna cost more..get used to it. Food is going to cost more, commuting..you name it. I suggest people start figuring that into their future budget. That cheap house people bought in Barrie might not be such a good plan in the future..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by gamma1 View Post
    I hate being a one hour and twenty minute commuter now !
    I understand. Our expectations have gotten just a bit out of whack over the last 50 years. People drive their kids EVERYWHERE to play sports. Two hours a day sometimes. For hockey!!! They pick lettuce in California on Monday, throw it on a truck and it's here on Wednesday. Can we live without these things? Yup. Is it going to hurt? Some people more than others..

The price of oil can only climb so high before people stop buying.

Time to load her up... Taking suggestions.

R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

You seem to be missing the point that higher has prices will cause the price of just about everything to go up.

I didn't miss that point but I'm not concerned about it. The higher price of everything means that people will start to consume less. This is a good thing from an environmental standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    That cheap house people bought in Barrie might not be such a good plan in the future..

People drive their kids EVERYWHERE to play sports. Two hours a day sometimes. For hockey!!! … Can we live without these things? Yup. Is it going to hurt? Some people more than others..

Hopefully, people will get the point and live closer to where they work and play. And hopefully people will stop buying houses in huge subdivisions with low density. High density = high amenities, plentiful public transit, close distance to where you work and play.

We can't sustain our rate of growth into the future. Energy use sacrifices need to be made. Reduced consumption of goods plus reduced fuel use is good for society as a whole. Which is why I'm not concerned about increasing cost of gasoline (since I purchase it for pleasure and not out of necessity).

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    I didn't miss that point but I'm not concerned about it. The higher price of everything means that people will start to consume less. This is a good thing from an environmental standpoint.

Hopefully, people will get the point and live closer to where they work and play. And hopefully people will stop buying houses in huge subdivisions with low density. High density = high amenities, plentiful public transit, close distance to where you work and play.

We can't sustain our rate of growth into the future. Energy use sacrifices need to be made. Reduced consumption of goods plus reduced fuel use is good for society as a whole. Which is why I'm not concerned about increasing cost of gasoline (since I purchase it for pleasure and not out of necessity).

Living in a crowded city where your wage can buy less, sounds fantastic.

Living in a crowded city where your wage can buy less, sounds fantastic.
    So live in the country and pay more for gas..it's your choice..

Oh I definitely understand how it'll affect people like yourself who have to buy lots of gas. But high gas prices cause people to drive less. I don't own a car because it's much cheaper to buy a Metropass. You and I and many others not commuting by car is a great thing for the environment!

Plus you'll benefit from working from home. I congratulate you on that; I wish I could do the same.
    So don't bus use petrol?

Like if the price of a bus pass will not increase...
    Resident Loudmouth

So live in the country and pay more for gas..it's your choice..
    Gas prices would have to more than double before I even thought about changing my driving habits.

Wow you save $60 a week by living a 10 min walk to work.

When the price of fuel rises I don't see the $50 I takes to fill my civic once a week. I see the $500+ I pump into my work truck. The Increase in the bill my customers get, the bills I have to pay, for necessities.

Yes better for everyone in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    So don't bus use petrol?

Like if the price of a bus pass will not increase...
    It's a matter of degrees. I know a guy who complains that it costs him $150 every three days to fill up his F150 so he can commute 1h 15mins each way every day. At what point did that become a good idea? So he'll complain about not being able to tow his jet ski and ride it in circles for hours but really, I don't have that much sympathy.

Gas prices would have to more than double before I even thought about changing my driving habits.

Wow you save $60 a week by living a 10 min walk to work.

When the price of fuel rises I don't see the $50 I takes to fill my civic once a week. I see the $500+ I pump into my work truck. The Increase in the bill my customers get, the bills I have to pay, for necessities.

Yes better for everyone in the end.
    So stop complaining! It's reality..it's not going to change. You can yell at the wind all you want but it's still going to blow.

So stop complaining! It's reality..it's not going to change. You can yell at the wind all you want but it's still going to blow.
    I only start complaining when people try to tell me its good for me.

We are dependent on oil and electricity. Too bad both are only going to drain our wallets.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm not concerned about overall costs of living going up. Our society can't sustain itself at this rate and sacrifices will need to be made. I'd personally love to see gas hit $3/L with half of it subsidizing public transportation.

We'd have a lot fewer problems if we didn't sprawl ourselves out so much. We wouldn't have to drive to commute, spend money on cars and gas, waste time commuting, etc. And being closer together means we'd have more stuff to look at on our journey (which is why walking 2 km on a nice pedestrian-oriented street in Toronto is easier than 2 km in suburbs; more interesting things to look at). It'd also take us riders less time to get out of the city and into the country where we burn our $3/L gasoline on the twisties

And I don't mind paying more for everything. I (and everyone else) will end up buying less, disposing of less, and wasting less.

I only start complaining when people try to tell me its good for me.

We are dependent on oil and electricity. Too bad both are only going to drain our wallets.
    Honestly..depending how supply plays out, I expect the price of crude to be over $500/barrel within 10 years. That's roughly 5x the price today. Life will go on..but it will be a lot harder than it is today.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm not concerned about overall costs of living going up. Our society can't sustain itself at this rate and sacrifices will need to be made. I'd personally love to see gas hit $3/L with half of it subsidizing public transportation.

We'd have a lot fewer problems if we didn't sprawl ourselves out so much. We wouldn't have to drive to commute, spend money on cars and gas, waste time commuting, etc. And being closer together means we'd have more stuff to look at on our journey (which is why walking 2 km on a nice pedestrian-oriented street in Toronto is easier than 2 km in suburbs; more interesting things to look at). It'd also take us riders less time to get out of the city and into the country where we burn our $3/L gasoline on the twisties

And I don't mind paying more for everything. I (and everyone else) will end up buying less, disposing of less, and wasting less.

The pedestrian oriented streets will have to make way for 30 floor condo buildings when the housing demand downtown skyrockets.

How is walking 2km in toronto any better than walking 2km out of the city?

The pedestrian oriented streets will have to make way for 30 floor condo buildings when the housing demand downtown skyrockets.
    Pedestrian oriented streets can be built among condos. Think of King Street. As long as they don't design streets like at Spadina and Bremner (CityPlace) then I'll be happy.

Also, the demand for medium density housing should skyrocket in all of the suburban centres as well. Instead of working and living in downtown Toronto, people would commute to downtown Oakville or downtown Oshawa where their jobs would move to (as a result of commercial development to keep people in the suburbs). I've already noticed a few condominiums going up in Aurora as well.

Sucks but I don't feel bad for all those single passenger vehicles. Folks need to take some responsibility for their choice of living 50-100km away from their job.
    Current: '04 Suzuki SV650n
    '06 Honda CBR F4i
    '06 Suzuki GS500F: Gone but not forgotten

Pretty insane, hate the gas prices, especially paying premium lol. My friend remarked the other day that in 30 years, my car is going to be a collectible. I told him in 30 years, theres a good chance anything that ran on gas would be.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

In your world how are people all of a sudden going to be able to afford housing that is two or three times what they cost outside the city?

If you are such an environmentalist I suggest you stop riding a motorbike for pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Sucks but I don't feel bad for all those single passenger vehicles. Folks need to take some responsibility for their choice of living 50-100km away from their job.
    I'm afraid in many cases it's not their choice.

I'm sure you heard about the little house that sold for 1.1 million ($400k over asking) that was bought by wealthy Chinese. Do you really think the average Canadian can compete with that? There are countries such as Austria that don't allow foreigners to buy property to make it more affordable for its citizens.
    Last edited by murf; 04-03-2012 at 08:57 PM.