Frustrated with Quotes - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frustrated with Quotes

Re: Frustrated with Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    How many at-faults (partial or otherwise) have you have in the last SIX years? If both your claims were in the last six years, you are going to have a heck of a time finding affordable insurance. Even if just one was in the last six years, it will be tough. You are young, so two at-faults on your record is a really big deal.

Well she is only 21, so they would have to be in the last 5 years.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Well she is only 21, so they would have to be in the last 5 years.
    Good point!

So yes, those at-fault claims are a big deal. "Partially at fault" or "Fully at fault", the effect on your insurance premium is the same. I would be surprised if the OP even qualifies for a standard insurance company . . . I would think that she's stuck with Facility until her history clears up.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

OP, I sympathize with your frustration and I agree that premiums have gone up across the board. I can't change the rates, rules, or underwriting guidelines that these companies have put in place - but I want you to see the insurance from a different perspective. All too often, I hear clients say things like "but my bike/car is only worth $2000!! why would I pay $4000 for insurance?!". Insurance these days has come to encompass and cover all kinds of things that were previously (decades ago) thought to be unrelated. Mainly, I am referring to the injuries and medical benefits one would claim following an injury. These benefits can easily run into the 10's of thousands to 100's of thousands, and to over a million bucks! It's too simplistic to think of a small used bike, or a junky old car as the only thing we are insuring - try to think of the physiotherapy, income replacement when unable to work, attendant care, dependant care, lawyer expenses, transportation expenses etc... that begin to add up once you are hurt in a motor vehicle accident.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks Hara View Post
    OP, I sympathize with your frustration and I agree that premiums have gone up across the board. I can't change the rates, rules, or underwriting guidelines that these companies have put in place - but I want you to see the insurance from a different perspective. All too often, I hear clients say things like "but my bike/car is only worth $2000!! why would I pay $4000 for insurance?!". Insurance these days has come to encompass and cover all kinds of things that were previously (decades ago) thought to be unrelated. Mainly, I am referring to the injuries and medical benefits one would claim following an injury. These benefits can easily run into the 10's of thousands to 100's of thousands, and to over a million bucks! It's too simplistic to think of a small used bike, or a junky old car as the only thing we are insuring - try to think of the physiotherapy, income replacement when unable to work, attendant care, dependant care, lawyer expenses, transportation expenses etc... that begin to add up once you are hurt in a motor vehicle accident.
    And Insurance companies are still making a profit !!!!

not a single accident, ticket, claim etc, yet 2 cars, 4 drivers, clean records, house insured as well, and it costs me 6 Grand a year

Insurance companies are in the business of extortion, legal of course, but extortion none the less, especially here in Ontario

ohhh and I forgot, my wifes cousin was in an accident, not his fault at all, was T boned, other driver went right through a red light, this was 3 years ago, he is still waiting for the Insurance to kick in and cover.......
    Last edited by GateKeeper; 04-05-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    And Insurance companies are still making a profit !!!!

not a single accident, ticket, claim etc, yet 2 cars, 4 drivers, clean records, house insured as well, and it costs me 6 Grand a year

Insurance companies are in the business of extortion, legal of course, but extortion none the less, especially here in Ontario

ohhh and I forgot, my wifes cousin was in an accident, not his fault at all, was T boned, other driver went right through a red light, this was 3 years ago, he is still waiting for the Insurance to kick in and cover.......
    These are the amounts paid out, by company, for each $1.00 of premium received in 2011:

$1.37 -- State Farm (Yikes, that's terrible!!)
    $1.17 -- Certas
    $1.07 -- Dominion
    $1.04 -- Wawanesa
    $1.04 -- Personal
    $1.01 -- Economical
    $1.01 -- RBC Insurance
    $1.00 -- Aviva
    $0.99 -- Co-operators
    $0.98 -- TD
    $0.97 -- Intact
    $0.97 -- Belair
    $0.97 -- Nordic
    $0.97 -- Royal & Sun Alliance
    $0.96 -- Jevco
    $0.96 -- Echelon
    $0.96 -- Allstate
    $0.91 -- Chubb
    $0.86 -- Zurich
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Just want to chime in and say Wawanesa is crap.

Belair was great but they screwed up my insurance record (classed all my comprehensive claims as at-fault collisions) but they fixed it up pretty quick when I called them about it 2 years later when I was no longer a client of theirs. They also don't insure bikes even though (at least 2 years ago) they have images of them on their website or any car over 15 yrs old. Never had any problems with claims or service and had the best rates.

Sorry, that was off topic.

Back on topic, it blows my mind how many people don't get that at-fault collisions are a big deal. Most of the time when I hear someone complaining about their rates I ask them about their history and I get a response like, "I only have 2/3 at-fault accidents" and I'm just like, "There's your problem. Stop causing accidents. I'm surprised you can afford insurance at all."
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Back on topic, it blows my mind how many people don't get that at-fault collisions are a big deal. Most of the time when I hear someone complaining about their rates I ask them about their history and I get a response like, "I only have 2/3 at-fault accidents" and I'm just like, "There's your problem. Stop causing accidents. I'm surprised you can afford insurance at all."
    Seriously. Like, if you've caused 2 accidents..would you consider yourself a good risk!??! Yeesh..

On a side note, why do people drive so fast in parking lots?? There are no rules..it's the worst place to be Seb Vettel..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I drive fast in empty parking lots, to practice my emergency braking...

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    On a side note, why do people drive so fast in parking lots?? There are no rules..it's the worst place to be Seb Vettel..
    I don't understand this either -- your chance of being hit in a parking lot are extremely high. Better to drive with caution and avoid the headaches of minor collisions.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    These are the amounts paid out, by company, for each $1.00 of premium received in 2011:

$1.37 -- State Farm (Yikes, that's terrible!!)
    $1.17 -- Certas
    $1.07 -- Dominion
    $1.04 -- Wawanesa
    $1.04 -- Personal
    $1.01 -- Economical
    $1.01 -- RBC Insurance
    $1.00 -- Aviva
    $0.99 -- Co-operators
    $0.98 -- TD
    $0.97 -- Intact
    $0.97 -- Belair
    $0.97 -- Nordic
    $0.97 -- Royal & Sun Alliance
    $0.96 -- Jevco
    $0.96 -- Echelon
    $0.96 -- Allstate
    $0.91 -- Chubb
    $0.86 -- Zurich
    Dont try facts and logic. It won't work on most
    51 Panhead FL Chop, 2011 MV Agusta F4

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    Dont try facts and logic. It won't work on most
    The complainers rarely respond when I post the numbers

All that money dished out,,,,yet the Insurance Companies still post and brag about profits.....

Just like the Banks

Interesting how law enforcement gives you a ticket for something you did wrong, you pay said ticket and it's the end of the story as far as they are concerned, then steps in the Insurance company sees you got a ticket, and they also make you pay, but it's not just a one lump sum, it's stretched over 3 years, how nice of them......
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    All that money dished out,,,,yet the Insurance Companies still post and brag about profits.....

Just like the Banks

Interesting how law enforcement gives you a ticket for something you did wrong, you pay said ticket and it's the end of the story as far as they are concerned, then steps in the Insurance company sees you got a ticket, and they also make you pay, but it's not just a one lump sum, it's stretched over 3 years, how nice of them......
    Unless your conviction is a serious one (such as Careless, Drunk Driving, etc.) then insurance companies are quite forgiving of convictions. If you have a single minor conviction, few companies will surcharge you. If you have more than one minor conviction, the surcharge is only about 10% per conviction. If you have 3+ minor convictions, then you are more likely to be a menace on the roads and the commensurate increase in your insurance rates is completely justified. Convictions are completely within your control.

how dare you bring personal responsibility into this!
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Banned

Viffer Fun. I did when you posted those numbers. They have accountants that are very good at CREATIVE ACCOUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex. You say that claims on medical are very expensive. Do you not forget that TWO YEARS AGO, McGinty gave the insurance industry the insurance store when he allowed them to lower all Medical PAYOUTS on insurance claims. I remember the industry saying, that will give us more money, we will be able to make a better profit,[nothing wrong with profit unless excessive] in a year or two, insurance rates will be down considerably etc, etc ,etc. Well, two years hence, insurance rates are skyrocking upwards, insurance industry crying again , we are losing money, we need a raise etc,etc,etc. This story from the industry is really getting long in the tooth. I am not the only one here on the board bitching and complaining about it. That is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. In other words, money talk, BS walks.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Well I'm sure HE'S an expert in insurance... Sigh.. If you give a false address and your insurance company finds out you lied, that's called insurance fraud.
    You are suppose to say the adress where the car is staying the most, so it may be possible to do it. But its still a fraud...
    Hercule CC130 J Support our troop by air

Pilot without technician are just walker with cool jacket and sunglasse

RACING Because football, baseball, bowling and golf only require ONE BALL