Retaking the M1 exit test

Thread: Retaking the M1 exit test

Retaking the M1 exit test

Hi everyone,

I just took the riding safety course at Centennial last weekend and it was really great... I had never ridden a bike before but the training and one-on-one coaching was really valuable. I struggled in the beginning but by the end I was quite comfortable with advanced maneuvers like swerving, emergency braking and stopping in a corner. Undoubtedly it is far more valuable than trying to learn on your own.
    Unfortunately I didn't pass the test, mostly because I was too slow and got heavy penalties for time . It seems about a quarter of the class failed the test. Now, it is possible to retake the test in two weeks but I was wondering how can I practice for the test? I don't own a bike yet so I'm pretty much stuck redoing the test at Centennial. On top of that, my M1 expires soon so I probably only have one or two more shots before I have to start over again. Is there another riding school where you can take the test for practice?

Thanks for the help,
    Al

Re: Retaking the M1 exit test

you can try calling RTI or Learning Curves, may be they have something?

RTI does private lessons. http://www.ridertraining.ca/

(and free retesting)
    Last edited by meme; 04-03-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HA10 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just took the riding safety course at Centennial last weekend and it was really great... I had never ridden a bike before but the training and one-on-one coaching was really valuable. I struggled in the beginning but by the end I was quite comfortable with advanced maneuvers like swerving, emergency braking and stopping in a corner. Undoubtedly it is far more valuable than trying to learn on your own.
    Unfortunately I didn't pass the test, mostly because I was too slow and got heavy penalties for time . It seems about a quarter of the class failed the test. Now, it is possible to retake the test in two weeks but I was wondering how can I practice for the test? I don't own a bike yet so I'm pretty much stuck redoing the test at Centennial. On top of that, my M1 expires soon so I probably only have one or two more shots before I have to start over again. Is there another riding school where you can take the test for practice?

Thanks for the help,
    Al

ask Cat she can help you..

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help,
    Al

You can practice what they taught you last weekend, and just work on using your eyes to take you where you want to go on the bike, controlling the clutch at the friction point and smoother shifts so that you can pick up the speed a little for your re-test. Probably wouldn't make sense to pay for extra lessons before then since they already taught you so much on the course.

Sounds like you have a good grasp of what they are teaching you and I wouldn’t get discouraged for being a little slow (because you are cautious). Just practice on your own bike and be confident.

Hi all,

Thanks for your help! I'm going to give a call to some of the other training schools and see if I can get a bit of practice this weekend, then retake the test at Centennial.
    Serialize, you know exactly which points I was having trouble with! Low-speed handling and using the friction point to get around tight corners, and keeping your eyes up. Probably the two most valuable lessons of the course.

Al

I'm taking the training course next weekend, can anyone tell me what the different tests are and the time allowed ?

I could - but it'll only make you concentrate on the wrong things.

Eyes up. Get smooth with the clutch, throttle and brakes. Close your mouth and open your ears (didn't mean that in a STFU way, just be willing to learn).

You'll do fine. Remember - We all weren't great drivers on out 2nd/3rd day behind a wheel, so allow yourself the grace to learn a new skill in riding a m/c.

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    RTI does private lessons. http://www.ridertraining.ca/

(and free retesting)
    as does Learning Curves ...
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Close your mouth.
    ha ha! A lot of people can't drive their cars with their mouth closed. Take a close look at some of those people making left turns.
    2010 Street Triple R
    2007 ZZR600

I took the test at Centennial last summer and passed 1st try but i am pretty sure you are given 1 free retest as well as few hours and one of their bikes to practice the following sunday. Unless it has changed.. but i recall them saying that to a few people in our class who failed

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response Johnny. Unfortunately the re-test is on Saturdays and costs $50. I'm not going to be able to take the test at Centennial again because my Saturdays are packed with work. So I guess I'm going to have to take the test at the MTO. I called other riding schools but they won't let you take the test with them unless you register for their entire course. But the problem is I don't own my own bike yet, I'm going to be looking at 3 or 4 CBR 125's this coming Sunday but I'm not sure how long it'll take to buy, safety, insure, and register/plate a bike. Can it be done in 2 weeks? On top of all that, my M1 expires on May 2 so if I don't pass the M2 test by then I have to start all over.
    Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Al

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response Johnny. Unfortunately the re-test is on Saturdays and costs $50. I'm not going to be able to take the test at Centennial again because my Saturdays are packed with work. So I guess I'm going to have to take the test at the MTO. I called other riding schools but they won't let you take the test with them unless you register for their entire course. But the problem is I don't own my own bike yet, I'm going to be looking at 3 or 4 CBR 125's this coming Sunday but I'm not sure how long it'll take to buy, safety, insure, and register/plate a bike. Can it be done in 2 weeks? On top of all that, my M1 expires on May 2 so if I don't pass the M2 test by then I have to start all over.
    Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Al
    You'll do fine. Good luck but if worse comes to worst you don't have to start all over. You would still probably have to write the test again, but that 60 waiting period doesn't apply so you can book the test right away. This came up last week and it was confirmed that if you do go for M1 the second time around you don't have to wait another 60 days.

Best of luck.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help,
    Al
    PM sent...