My disappointing exprience with Meloche Monnex(MM) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My disappointing exprience with Meloche Monnex(MM)

Re: My disappointing exprience with Meloche Monnex(MM)

Quote Originally Posted by HunGJaI View Post
    $600/year?

Age???
    Most certainly he is over 30yo.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Interesting

http://sparebumper.com/index.php?act...Id=41&catId=15

Keep in mind, that you are only kidding yourself if you think an insurance company will stand behind you if they find out you’re driving a vehicle that is not street legal and you get into an accident.
    My insurance company is aware of the mods. And the vehicle is street legal. Again, if you can find a link that references NHTSA, CFR, FMVSS or CMVSS, please share.

As far as the website you listed, Ontario wasn't listed. Most states that have bumper height laws allow some variation with bumper height change (between 3" and 8")... the others don't have bumper height laws.

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Most certainly he is over 30yo.
    That's what I'm thinking... I'm at $1,200 Full...with SF...but 26...

I know if I bring my car over it will be cheaper...but SF car rates SUCKS!

Tried doing the online qoute with MM...3k...

When I insured my 125 with SF they actually had 'supersport' on the insurance documentation...I almost died laughing when I saw that!

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Even with the PEO member discount, I've found that MM is a waste of time and I sure-as-hell won't be giving them my business... EVER! They couldn't give me a straight-forward answer as to why a 2" lift on a Jeep would render the Jeep un-insurable. ThePersonal (OSPE discount) isn't much better.

It's been my experience that MANY insurance companies mis-classify bikes. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they classified a Honda Ninja as a cruiser.

And yes, I'm aware that a "Honda Ninja" doesn't exist... I was being facetious

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by HunGJaI View Post
    $600/year?

Age???
    yup, I'm 38 with a perfect record (knock on wood lol), married, house, kid, etc... It helped alot too that MM had alumni deals from my university.. damn lucky to be paying so low..

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post

You are correct in saying that your insurance will not cover claims if the vehicle involved has modifications that the insurance company was unaware of. My insurance company is aware of my mods. And stock bumper heights don't help. I was driving a grand cherokee once when a civic was oncoming in my lane (passing at a high rate of speed). If he didn't swerve back into his lane quickly enough, the Grand would have climbed his bumper and decapitated him.
    Where do fender eliminators fall in this? Does everyone with a fender eliminator kit, unknown to their insurance company, risk being denied coverage?

'08 NINJA 250r
    | Since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjitsu View Post
    Where do fender eliminators fall in this? Does everyone with a fender eliminator kit, unknown to their insurance company, risk being denied coverage?
    Best to talk to your insurance company. The mod is purely aesthetic (9 times out of 10), but so are stickers (which is a modification that some insurance companies frown upon).

The thing to remember is disclosure. Just mention what you have done or plan to do and it's generally accepted. Why give the insurance company a reason to hassle you in the event of a claim?

Quote Originally Posted by dash8 View Post
    yup, I'm 38 with a perfect record (knock on wood lol), married, house, kid, etc... It helped alot too that MM had alumni deals from my university.. damn lucky to be paying so low..
    Your rate is low because you're over 30 and have a perfect record (and you probably also have your car with MM which will get you a discount on your bike). The house, marriage, and kid do nothing to lower your bike rate (although the house will lower the car rate that you pay).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

I would be very surprised if any company would deny your claim because of an undisclosed fender eliminator (or even a slip-on exhaust for that matter). I wouldn't expect to receive a settlement for the upgrade values, but I'm pretty sure that you would at least be compensated for the stock value of the bike. The mods that insurance companies particularly don't like are ones that alter the performance and/or compromise safety (eg. Turbo, Supercharger, Engine Swap, etc.)

Sorry to hear about the poor service. TD-MM has been awesome for me they take my money but alot less than any other insurer..
    I hit a Deer last november 11/11/11(in a blazer), because it was a gov't holiday they offered and gave me a rental for 5 days even though I didn't have comprehensive. This was more than fair in my eyes...
    Fear is my only Limitation...Fear of my Wife...lol

I would be very surprised if any company would deny your claim because of an undisclosed fender eliminator (or even a slip-on exhaust for that matter). I wouldn't expect to receive a settlement for the upgrade values, but I'm pretty sure that you would at least be compensated for the stock value of the bike. The mods that insurance companies particularly don't like are ones that alter the performance and/or compromise safety (eg. Turbo, Supercharger, Engine Swap, etc.)
    I believe most of those fender eliminators are not legal, but I'm just being devils advocate. The only thing that I could see happening would be if you got rearended and the turn signal or brake light visibility was put into question.......but I doubt anything would come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    I believe most of those fender eliminators are not legal, but I'm just being devils advocate. The only thing that I could see happening would be if you got rearended and the turn signal or brake light visibility was put into question.......but I doubt anything would come of it.
    Aside from light visibility, the only other thing that could be an issue is reflectors. If you remove your reflectors, and no new ones come with the FE kit, the insurance company may give you a hard time if your bike was hit while parked at night.

Sorry to hear of your problems with TD/MM. Exact same thing happened with me when I bought my Triumph Daytona except I was dealing with TD Primmum. Like you I argued that there was only one version of the Triumph Daytona and it was unbelievable that they would give me a quote on a Triumph Daytona then change the quote because their system says it's something more expensive to insure based solely on the serial number. Given that I had already purchased the bike I had no choice but to deal with them. Thankfully I got requoted the following year with TD/MM and due to an affiliation with the University my annual premium dropped in half.

Given that they are still doing this and coming up with huge swings in premium I wonder if it would do any good to complain to the Insurance Bureau of Canada (or whatever the appropriate governing body would be?).

Banned

Rick T. Complain to theinsurance Bureau!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The insurasnce industry owns them lock stock and barrel. I did last year and was told they could do nothing. They are a toothless agency. We can thank McQuinty for giving the Insurance store away to the industry a couple of years ago. We get less coverage, service at a considerable increase in cost of buying insurance. As was said on Rider Plus site by their spokeperson, Ontario Auto Insurance Reforms are Working", but at our expence. Insurance companies cannot be trusted to keep their word on anything they say. As soon as they open their mouth, nothing but lies comes out the same as politicians. After an accident or an occurance, do not talk to the insurance adjuster at all. Get a "LAWYER" to deal with them. You will be better off in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by GYMPY View Post
    Rick T. Complain to theinsurance Bureau!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The insurasnce industry owns them lock stock and barrel. I did last year and was told they could do nothing. They are a toothless agency. We can thank McQuinty for giving the Insurance store away to the industry a couple of years ago. We get less coverage, service at a considerable increase in cost of buying insurance. As was said on Rider Plus site by their spokeperson, Ontario Auto Insurance Reforms are Working", but at our expence. Insurance companies cannot be trusted to keep their word on anything they say. As soon as they open their mouth, nothing but lies comes out the same as politicians. After an accident or an occurance, do not talk to the insurance adjuster at all. Get a "LAWYER" to deal with them. You will be better off in the long run.
    Complaints should be directed to the ombudsman, not the Insurance Bureau:

http://www.group.tdinsurance.com/en/...olve/ombudsman

Banned

Viffer. In another post you said their was an agency that set rates. You told me this agency does not like high swing rates. i would like to get their phone number an call them and notify them of what Echelon has up my rates in one year. You can private e-mail me here on this board by PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GYMPY View Post
    Viffer. In another post you said their was an agency that set rates. You told me this agency does not like high swing rates. i would like to get their phone number an call them and notify them of what Echelon has up my rates in one year. You can private e-mail me here on this board by PM me.
    This is off topic -- in the future please start your own thread when you have specific comments or questions.

This contact is no secret. You can contact FSCO if you wish:

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/About/c...s/default.aspx

If a company has increased your rate outside of the approval of FSCO, I would like to see them punished as much as you would. In general, a rate change is in the shape of a normal distribution -- the vast majority of people receiving a small change in rate, but then a few (about 5%) receiving large increases and a few (maybe 5%) receiving large decreases. You might have been in the top fifth percentile.

@Viffer: May I just say, with the upmost sincerity, thank you for your invaluable advice and information time and time again. GTAM is really lucky to have you on the forum and constantly responding to all our queries.

THANKS!

This is off topic -- in the future please start your own thread when you have specific comments or questions.

This contact is no secret. You can contact FSCO if you wish:

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/About/c...s/default.aspx

If a company has increased your rate outside of the approval of FSCO, I would like to see them punished as much as you would. In general, a rate change is in the shape of a normal distribution -- the vast majority of people receiving a small change in rate, but then a few (about 5%) receiving large increases and a few (maybe 5%) receiving large decreases. You might have been in the top fifth percentile.

Quote Originally Posted by bombart View Post
    @Viffer: May I just say, with the upmost sincerity, thank you for your invaluable advice and information time and time again. GTAM is really lucky to have you on the forum and constantly responding to all our queries.

THANKS!
    It's no problem -- I enjoy answering questions and it helps me to learn more myself